Preparing for the heat/humidity

Ground Week, Tower Week, Jump Week.
SmokeEater10500
Embryo

Preparing for the heat/humidity

Post by SmokeEater10500 »

Hello All,
I am slotted to go to Airborne from 3-26 August. Does anyone here have any advice or tips to help me prepare for the heat and humidity of Benning in August? In from the Philadelphia area and we do see some humidity, but Im guessing it's nothing compared to what I'm going to experience at Benning. Any advice would be a huge help. Thanks for your time and help.
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
--Ambrose Redmoon
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

If you're fit it will only be a minor adjustment. The best way to prepare is to arrive 3-weeks in advance and slowly increase your activity.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

I don't know about y'all but I attended jump school in SEP. On days where the temperature was more than 90 degrees, a red flag would be raised & we stopped running and fast marched instead. Besides, you don't run much just from instruction at one spot to instruction at another spot.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
SmokeEater10500
Embryo

Post by SmokeEater10500 »

Ranger Fish, Im not worried about a heat injury. I've dealt with being hot all my life, whether it be through football or work. I was just trying to get some ideas as to what I could do to be as prepared as possible for when I arrived at Benning.
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
--Ambrose Redmoon
Cpart84

Post by Cpart84 »

Rangers, I apologize if this overstepping my boundaries but I might be able to help answer this question.

Heat category five occurred nearly everyday when I was there this past July which means no running between training events... BAC is probably easier in the hot months because of that.

We still had alot of heat casualties. I was paranoid about becoming the next heat casualty so for every meal I would drink as much powerade as possible and in the evenings after our training was complete, I'd head up to the mini px and get some more gatorade.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Cpart84 wrote:Rangers, I apologize if this overstepping my boundaries but I might be able to help answer this question.

Heat category five occurred nearly everyday when I was there this past July which means no running between training events... BAC is probably easier in the hot months because of that.

We still had alot of heat casualties. I was paranoid about becoming the next heat casualty so for every meal I would drink as much powerade as possible and in the evenings after our training was complete, I'd head up to the mini px and get some more gatorade.
You were paranoid over nothing. You will be a nervous nelly in times of stress. Lay back and take things as they come.

RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Cpart84

Post by Cpart84 »

Yes, Ranger Steadfast, that is something I need to work on. I have a bad habit of thinking about all that could go wrong;I get ahead of myself and cause alot of undue stress as a result.

My worry of becoming a heat casualty in Airborne School wasn't totally unfounded because I had collapsed and went unconscious at a concert due to overheating and dehydration. They say once you become a heat casualty you're at a significantly increased risk of becoming one again. I didn't want to end my career before it began.

There were plenty in my BAC class who just collapsed in formation or fell on their face during the runs (Remember not to lock your knees, SmokeEater). This northerner learned that July in Fort Benning is no joke but after the first week I became acclimated and no longer feared becoming a heat casualty.

SmokeEater, from one cadet to another I'll tell you not to worry about the heat, just make sure your push up form is pristine for the entry PT test, we lost over 60 in our class because they couldn't do 42 perfect push ups. If you do that and are able to run five miles at an 8 min mile pace you should be fine.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

????????
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!

Return to “About Airborne School”