82nd VS 173rd Abn

Ground Week, Tower Week, Jump Week.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

debby wrote:look all of those leg units suck. roger if you get regament then you will be so high speed. it is pretty hard at first but once you learn your job it is pretty easy. it is cool as heck, and your not going to get shot up if you deploy. roger
Hey ass clown ...........spell cheak......
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Craftiest Cheese
Embryo

Post by Craftiest Cheese »

Go to Italy, Vicenza is the best when you are right out of Basic and Airborne School, I got Vicenza and I would give anything to go back.
RA vet Dates of Service 06/91 09/95

MOS: 11H1p

3/325 ABCT CSC

3/505 PIR D. co
TRLewis

Post by TRLewis »

:shock: I just came across this, I didn't know the 173rd was in Italy. I'll be damned. I always perfer the 173rd over the 82nd, not sure why. I know a little bit about Army history, I might be bias because of their history in Vietnam.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

rgrpuck wrote:
debby wrote:look all of those leg units suck. roger if you get regament then you will be so high speed. it is pretty hard at first but once you learn your job it is pretty easy. it is cool as heck, and your not going to get shot up if you deploy. roger
Hey ass clown ...........spell cheak......

What's a spell cheak? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

BadMuther wrote:

What's a spell cheak? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that's funny!
RSD 96-99
RGR_Dan
Ranger

Regiment

Post by RGR_Dan »

Go seek out the Ranger liason when you get to ABN school !!!!! Anything less is unacceptable!!!
95-98 Aco. 3/75 2nd plt Weapons Sqd
98-01Hco 121st LRS
Former LEO
Former Contractor
LEO (round 2)
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Is this the same debby does dallas? :shock:
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

TRLewis wrote::shock: I just came across this, I didn't know the 173rd was in Italy. I'll be damned. I always perfer the 173rd over the 82nd, not sure why. I know a little bit about Army history, I might be bias because of their history in Vietnam.
The 82nd was the 2nd unit of the US Army to conduct Airborne operations in the European theater of WWII. The first was an independent battalion (would have to look it up) that jumped in North Africa (one of the command group of that battalion was Gen. Yarborough of SF renown). Elements of the 82nd under Gen. Gavin jumped into Sicily, more of them jumped into Salerno, the whole division less those poor bastards in Italy jumped on D-Day, and the division jumped again in Operation Market Garden in Holland.

The 82nd was created from a straight-leg infantry division that saw combat in WWI, you might recall Pvt. Alvin C. York, he was a member of that division.

They've been around a long time. I don't know as much about the 173rd's lineage, but I have a book on the history of the Airborne operations that covers every single Airborne op conducted by the US Army from WWII to Desert Storm.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

The first was an independent battalion (would have to look it up) that jumped in North Africa
The 509th.

GERONIMO.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

82nd

Post by SkyShark »

I was at Bragg for a couple of years, yes it has its good points and points. However, I feel that every new soldier to the Army should spend thier first duty station over seas. The expierience of seeing how another country lives really puts life here in the land of the big PX ito prespective. I never got the chance for Italy wish I would have. I did however spend 15 month in Korea. Good training weather sucked. GO TO ITALY!!
It's all good.
TRLewis

Post by TRLewis »

FireFinder wrote:
They've been around a long time. I don't know as much about the 173rd's lineage, but I have a book on the history of the Airborne operations that covers every single Airborne op conducted by the US Army from WWII to Desert Storm.
Whoah, I'm not saying which one is better. I have no clue, just something about the 173rd, maybe I'm just going crazy, again.
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

TRLewis wrote:
FireFinder wrote:
Whoah, I'm not saying which one is better. I have no clue, just something about the 173rd, maybe I'm just going crazy, again.
I wasn't saying which one is better. I was trying to educate a former-Marine about some Army units. ;)
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
TRLewis

Post by TRLewis »

Well thank you. :D
AbnCrazy
Embryo

Post by AbnCrazy »

Vicenza is awesome, though it is a little more crowded there now with two Abn Inf. Bns. When I was there it was just one, plus an Arty Bat and Engineers.
Bragg was not bad, though there were a lot of dog and pony shows, but even Italy had those as well.
If you get to Italy, do take advantage of it while you are there. Chances are you may not be there anyhow (be prepared for that no matter where you get assigned!!)
Served from 1983-1995,82d Abn 3/325,4/325, MAANG, USARC Boston, 7th Army Training Command, 70% DAV

Return to “About Airborne School”