Question about airborne units

Ground Week, Tower Week, Jump Week.
Squidward89
USN Veteran

Question about airborne units

Post by Squidward89 »

I realize this is completely subjective based on each individual experiences, but I was wondering how the different airborne units compared to one another.

Has anyone been in the 82nd, 173rd, and the 4/25th that can give what they thought were the major strengths/weaknesses/differences between them? Or what did you like and dislike the most about each?

I suppose I could also ask about the 101st, even though it is now an air assault unit, but the info would be interesting anyway.

Thank you, in advance for any insight, and thank you for your service.

Squidward

P.S. I guess I should add that my son is currently in the 82nd and I thought that getting information about the other airborne units would give me something else to chat with him about. He does want to go to Ranger School some day, but he was told when he got to the 82nd that he would have to wait until he was there for two years. So now he's learning and training and hoping to get deployed soon.
USS Memphis SSN-691 1985-1989
US Navy SCUBA Diver, class 87-27-SC
Naval Nuclear Power School, class 8405
Furious George
Ranger

Re: Question about airborne units

Post by Furious George »

Squidward,

I spent my time with the 82d, first with a line company and then with Recon. I hated the line company. Tell your son (if he's an 11B) to get his ass over to his Recon Plt. CP, ASAP, and ask for a job. Tell him to be persistent, as there are only 24 slots in their TO&E. I bugged my Bn. SMAJ everyday to let me get in and it paid off. He'll be better off in the long run, have more knowledge and will get the opportunity to go to Ranger School a lot quicker (I got a class date in less than three months after my transfer). He will have the opportunity to be in a Recon Tm., or perhaps Snipers. Back when I was in, we had to try out for Recon and once in, you weren't guaranteed a permanent slot...you had to prove your shit everyday.

I got tabbed as an E-4 and guess what?...no more shit details...it was golden.

Best of luck to you and your son,

G.
A Co. 2/504 ('86-'87)
Recon Plt. 2/504 ('88-'90)
Operation Just Cause

RS 14-88
Squidward89
USN Veteran

Post by Squidward89 »

Thanks for the information Furious. I'll definately pass along your advice.

Sincerely Squidward
Last edited by Squidward89 on March 8th, 2011, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

I've never been in the 82nd, but I was in 173rd for 3 years and I loved it there. The experienced guys in the unit are a mixed bag, about 3/4 come from 82nd and 1/4 come from Regiment. The Regiment guys are always giving the 82nd guys shit (myself included) and the 82nd guys return the favor.

When I first got to Vicenza, I was still sporting my black beret and scroll the first day of inprocessing since I hadn't gotten the red one sewn up or gotten a uniform with the 173rd patch. I had literally flown in the day before and gotten on post at about 2300. At the end of day one I was sent to meet my platoon and an E-5 (I was an E-4) yelled at me to "Take that black rag off your head!"

I just looked at him like he was a jackass and said "Jealousy is an ugly thing." Yeah. I pushed. A lot. But I kept my shit on. I later found out that the E-5 was a RIP failure who had gone on worldwide status and had the undeserved good fortune to end up in Italy.

My experience with guys from the 82nd has been some good, mostly bad. But it's all a matter of perspective. I've heard all sorts of horror stories about the unit, but having never been there I couldn't say. I will say that 173rd is the shit and I had a great time there. I'd go back in a heartbeat.
Last edited by mortar_guy78 on March 8th, 2011, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
Squidward89
USN Veteran

Post by Squidward89 »

Wow, thanks mortor guy.
I'm amazed at one of the common themes brought up. :) I'll definately pass along the info. I'm sure it will help to hear stuff from people who have "been there and got the T-shirt". I know that sometimes the grass just LOOKS greener on the other pasture, but sometimes the grass IS greener in the other pasture. I know, and I know my son has heard it from me, that EVERY unit has it's good points and bad points. You just got to love the good and somehow try to use the bad to make you better. I'm sure he's doing that.

Squidward
ABN509
US Army Veteran

Post by ABN509 »

I somehow had the fortune/misfortune of ending up at 1/509th JRTC. We had all walks of life in that unit; 173rd, 82nd, 101st, 75th RGR.. There was good times and bad, but looking back on it I would say more good times. 2 weeks a month was the biggest and most intense "laser tag" game you could ever be apart of. The other times we were doing live fires (our other jobs). The sucky part of it was it was located in Leesville, La and we were non-deployable. We were always getting new gear and new toys to play with. During rotations, if you came back early, then you got a pretty good "vacation" playing xbox and watching movies in the CP. 4 day weekends were common too. We had some good Airborne ops too.

If I had my choice though I would have rather gone somewhere else. JRTC and 1/509th should be reserved for those that have been active for a while and have "been there, done that".
Squidward89
USN Veteran

Post by Squidward89 »

Thanks for the response ABN509. Every bit of information is good stuff to pass along to my son.

Sincerely,
Squidward

Return to “About Airborne School”