Tips for Airborne

Ground Week, Tower Week, Jump Week.
600rr
Embryo

Tips for Airborne

Post by 600rr »

Just finished tower week, thought I'd post some tips while on cq

1. Don't buy new boots! Rasp wont let you wear anything but your issued ones so why carry the extra weight around just to wear them at airborne

2. MOST IMPORTANT TIP! Get new inserts for your issued boots right away! You will doubletime everywhere at airborne and everywhere is concrete roads and the concrete track around the training grounds. Wish I would've bought my $16 inserts sooner! Bad shin splints will make life suck

3. Don't be like one of the 150 soldiers that failed the pft. Its only like 45 pushups and situps holy shit. 2 miles in 16 min come on. Yes, I did run a 13:50 but I also did a lot of drinking over exodus and I'm back in shape now anyways so whatever

4. Don't forget anything ever! They will only tell you once! I remember like half my platoon was counsoled for not bring a pt jacket, or a cap, ect. And also, if your going in a cold weather month, they will not count your issued wool glove inserts as gloves. If you didn't buy some highspeed gloves, make sure to bring your green leather issued shells.

5. The first day you're here they will make you stencile your roster on tape and tape it to all you stuff. Wish I would've bought a $2 stecile kit instead of waiting for 3 hours to borrow the only stencile in the entire platoon. THIS IS SOME GOOD ADVICE FOR YOU! If you don't listen to anything else, at least spend the $2 to save your ass 3 hours

6. Volunteer for road gaurd. That will make the 2 runs you do actually somewhat challenging.

7. Eat those carbs for breakfast. Eat like 2 bowls of wheat bran, that gives you your phosphorus and zinc. Also load up on the other carbs like bread and grits and oatmeal. Stay away from the ice cream and cake in the dfac unless your trying to gain.

8. Everybody smokes here. Nicatine constricts your vascular system and will only make you slower, don't do it.

9. Quitters and pft drop outs here that are pcs go straight to mech. Enough said

10. For plf's just keep your feet and knees together and elbows tucked in. Don't worry about doing the rotation in all one motion (at least my sergeant airborne wouldn't mind if we kicked our legs over after we landed). You'll understand what I mean when you get here, help you pass your landing drills.

Well that's all I can think of right now. Doing my first jump tuesday. Rasp holdover is in less than a week. If I can prove the intestinal fortitude, I want to go to 1st battalion.

-one more thing, hurry up and wait is on steriods at airborne
GoardHeart
Ranger

Re: Tips for Airborne

Post by GoardHeart »

11. Find a 2LT who didn't make it through Ranger School and punch him in the face...
RS 05-07
1st ID 1-26 IN 9/07-09/09
3d U.S. Inf Regt 10/09-Present

OEF IX - Korengal Valley
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Do they still have coffee and donuts in the white house?

Is there still a white house?
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

12. Lurn tew speel... speal.... spawl... (fuck it!)
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

The Sleepy Doc wrote:12. Lurn tew speel... speal.... spawl... (fuck it!)
I have it, on good authority, that you can go far in today's military by spelling like an illiterate backwoodsman from the War of Independence!
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

At the risk of shocking Ranger Zone IV speachless, I totally agree with him! Back in the olden days, before JUMP SCHOOL was made easy enough for girls to do it, a soldier was expected to perform to Standards in the uniform issued to him....Fatigues and Leg Boots...all tasks put before him. If you are in reasonably good shape, it shouldn't be difficult to complete all physical requirements without special equipment or diets.

I still don't know what "shin splints" are, but I'm sure we weren't allowed to have them!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Here are my tips for airborne school

1. DON"T BE A PUSSY
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

I know this is a "kinder, gentler timeframe", but DAMN! Really? I thought Airborne was a damn joke and imputted my participation nightly by eating as much of that cheap pizza as I could get my hands on and getting pissed up. Of course I am sure its "much harder" now what with all the PC police overseeing PT and all. I'm just sayin' :roll: :P
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I will say though..the boots they issue in basic now are shit. I don't know why they don't just issue bellevilles, but that crap they hand out in basic is just that...crap. You certainly can make it through fucking airborne school in them though. RASP on the other hand...I would DX those things for some bellevilles. The boots you guys used to get issued were way better than what they issue in basic now, by the way.

All though the post is well intentioned, I think I speak for everyone here when I say if you need tips to get through airborne, no need to try out for RASP.....
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
600rr
Embryo

Post by 600rr »

Airborne is a joke. I made this for the large amount of soldiers that would not have gotten kicked out if they knew a few things. Yea its a weaker army, but thats what it is. And I scrapped my boots for some belleville 390s and theyre like a mustang compared to a glued together pinto. Yea, comforts not a Ranger word, but shit my feet feel good!
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

colt1rgr wrote:I know this is a "kinder, gentler timeframe", but DAMN! Really? I thought Airborne was a damn joke and imputted my participation nightly by eating as much of that cheap pizza as I could get my hands on and getting pissed up. Of course I am sure its "much harder" now what with all the PC police overseeing PT and all. I'm just sayin' :roll: :P
Bet they won't show that on the next "Making the Cut".

As an Air Force guy I never really grew comfortable with the concept of jumping from perfectly good airplanes. Until a guy I grew up with became a Jump Instructor and took me down to Lakewood. Yeah, he pretty much threw me out of the plane. Terrifying but exhilarating and ultimately addicting. BTW I couldn't give a shit what was on my feet. Does anybody really care at that point?
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Tips for Airborne

Post by KW Driver »

Civilian jumping & Airborne are apples and monkeys.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long

Return to “About Airborne School”