Airborne Article with great pics

Ground Week, Tower Week, Jump Week.
SRR2R
Tadpole

Airborne Article with great pics

Post by SRR2R »

Here is an article from a soldier who recently completed Airborne School. It has several nice pics included. The 250 foot tower looks particularly ominous...

http://armybasic.org/portal/modules.php ... le&sid=177
"Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier..." - Samuel Johnson

From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and violent men take it by force.
-Matthew 11:12
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Why does an electrician need Airborne Training? :?
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

That is NOT how to keep your feet and knees together! :roll:
RSD 96-99
SRR2R
Tadpole

Post by SRR2R »

The author certainly seemed to have a "half way up the hill" attitude, but I nevertheless found the article to be informative for DEPs and Newts like me who haven't been. I found these snippits particularly interesting,

"One thing that pissed me off is how all the discipline we learned, all the rules we abided by started falling apart as soon as we got back. Soldiers started walking on the grass near the barracks (which was a serious "no-no" during training", disrespecting NCO's, smart-mouthing each other. It was as if, as soon as we received our wings, it was everyman for himself. Our head trainer asked us at the end if we felt we had received anything from the course other than the wings, as in teamwork, etc. I had to say no. There was little teamwork, it was always everyman for himself, believe me. Our section, section 5, was in charge of sweeping and mopping the 5th floor hallway everyday. As far as I know, I was the only guy who ever swept the floor. One time PFC Archer came and helped me mop, but only because we were friends. Teamship? Bullsh*t. It was terrible. "

"Also, let it be known that I was one of the oldest guys in my class to go through Airborne training; I was almost 36 years old. Plenty (over 45) of the 18-21 years old males fell out."
"Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier..." - Samuel Johnson

From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and violent men take it by force.
-Matthew 11:12
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

They issue snivel gear at BAC now?

I can't recall lugging a canteen around 20 years ago. You got a steel pot with shock pad and probably the same bed linen as this shmuck.

Running only 3 days a week? I don't remember if we ran every day or not, and I seem to remember that we did PT in BDU pants and brown T-shirt. Ranger Spartan and I were in the same BAC class, maybe he remembers more details.

Mess hall description seems spot on as to how I remember it.

I also recall that they are "34 foot" towers not "35 foot" and that the big towers are "250 feet" not "235 feet".

I'm reading Currahee: A Screaming Eagle in Normandy by Donald Burgett right now. Back in 1943, they started jump school with a 9 mile run, they packed their own 'chutes, and the first phase alone was longer than the current BAC.

Reading this guy's article doesn't bring back fond memories, it just pisses me off that one of the Army's venerable institutions has gotten soft.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

DEPShits....I reviewed this douchebag's dribble and can say without a doubt, he has got to be one of the whiniest little girls I have ever heard given the time of day. I hope you turds have a bigger sack than this shitstick. Fuckin' crybaby....

If you want to learn the basics of how to jump from a high-performance aircraft, then go to BAC. If you want to learn teamwork and cohesion, look elsewhere. I suppose he thought he should have been taught basic EOD while they were at it? :?
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Since they allowed women in Airborne school in the late 70's it has been a joke ever since. Airborne is not a weeding out process. There is nothing hard about it...not in the last 25 years anyway. If you can fall you can pass.
Airborne now isn't "the end all be all" it is just a means of insertion.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

H8 Train wrote:Since they allowed women in Airborne school in the late 70's it has been a joke ever since. Airborne is not a weeding out process. There is nothing hard about it...not in the last 25 years anyway. If you can fall you can pass.
Airborne now isn't "the end all be all" it is just a means of insertion.
AIRBORNE SCHOOL AIN'T CHIT!

IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT PAST THAT COURSE (AND I SAW GROWN MEN, SCARED TO JUMP OUTTA THE MOCK TOWER, Which is nothing more than an army amusement park ride) Then you ain't got the balls to FART let alone BREATHE!

Un-Friggin Believable I swear, these guys......
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

In defense of Airborne School (The new Active Duty target is Sand Hill) I have to let you know that Airborne School now has a APFT requirement in order to get in. It's not much but it's a start, becuase Airborne school never had a APFT requirement. The "Flexed Arm Hang" seems to be disrupting the professional plans of the Fairer sex (and guys like me). I doubt that Paratroopers will ever be what they were but at least we're moving in the right direction.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

In 1966 it was Jump School, and if you were outdoors moving, you were running. We NEVER marched anywhere! And we didn't have to worry about what to bring if we were on our period....females were not allowed!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I liked hearing him call the wimpy training load at Airborne School a Full Combat Load. Gimme a break.
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Spartan wrote:I liked hearing him call the wimpy training load at Airborne School a Full Combat Load. Gimme a break.
You mean that medium rucksack stuffed with DX'd ponchos and wet-weather gear? Wasn't there a 2x4 in the M1950, also? :lol: :lol:
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

Roger that Ranger Saltbitch. I don't know what they had in the ruck, but it certainly didn't weigh that much. I do remember that the M1950 had a 2x4 in it.

That guy needs to read some Airborne History. Like the basic load most of the troopers jumped into Normandy with.

At least he didn't quit, I'll give him at least that much. He sure snivelled enough to make me think he would have quit.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
CAL
Paratrooper

Post by CAL »

Saltbitch wrote:DEPShits....I reviewed this douchebag's dribble and can say without a doubt, he has got to be one of the whiniest little girls I have ever heard given the time of day. I hope you turds have a bigger sack than this shitstick. Fuckin' crybaby....
Well said! I quit reading this momma's boy's dribble after he started whining about all his shit and he got to GO HOME for the weekends and sleep in his own bed with cable TV and all the comforts. Even with this luxury, he bitched and moaned like a little douche bag. And on top of it all he went to my unit :x
ArmyParatrooper.org

514th Sig Co. (LRE) '97-'02
AATW!
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

I went to jump school in SEP '68. 1st week was a zero week. Each day a red flag went up the flagpole it meant the temperature was 90 degrees. Running was prohibited. We fast marched during that time. So by '68 Jump School was softer.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “About Airborne School”