Question About Air Assault and Airborne

Ground Week, Tower Week, Jump Week.
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

andok wrote:
JLTW!!! wrote:Clearly, you should go to Air Assault (AA, from here out for all you drinkers and smartasses :wink: ) since it is the hardest school in the Army! :roll: Just ask RRDTm3 about his experience :lol:

In all seriousness stud, take the Airborne slot. AA is basically a waste of time. Having said that, if you choose to take the AA slot, make sure you pay attention to detail. Sling load test is what gets most people.
Thank you Ranger JLTW!!! I know the sling load test is what made the guy in our battalion fail. From what I've heard, AA is more difficult and more of a waste of time, but this leads me to another question. For any Rangers or anybody else, if you were in a unit with a new Lieutenant coming in fresh out of ROTC, would your perception of him be any different if he had both Airborne and Air Assault as opposed to just Airborne? Or would it not really matter? I know respect is earned, but does it help for initial trust and perception?
My opinion of a fresh out of ROTC LT with both Airborne and Air Assault? Most likely it would have been "great, another cherry officer who can't pour pee out his boot with directions on the heel. A tourist who merely visits here for a year, while this is my home."

By the way, units in the Army don't run down the road singing "I want to be an Air Assault soldier". There isn't a lot of Air Assault posers, and if there was, who would care.

As far as I know there is no brotherhood known as "ArmyAirAssault.com".

Telling the average civilian you were Air Assault usually gets you a typical dumb stare. Tell them you are a Ranger and there is instant recognition.

Though every unit in the army and the Marines like to tell you that they are "first in", we all know who was really there first. No brag, just historical fact. I think Air Assault comes arrives on the battlefield sometimes after the Indiana National Guard, and sometime before AAFES.

Finally, the only reason Air Assault school was created was to soothe the shattered egos of 101st soldiers who no longer were the tip of the spear, and who wore a lie above their unit patch.

What's next? Sapper School in lieu of Ranger school?
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Something no one has told you yet!

If you enter active duty service as an Officer there is a better than good chance you will be allotted an Airborne (ABN) slot during your BOLC II and III adventure. So...given that "chance" and you take AAS (Air Assault) now there is a possibility you could show up to your first unit with both AAS and ABN.

I would also like to add this (given the slant of previous posts), You should always jump at the opportunity to attend any Army courses throughout your time of service in the Army! Do not ever refuse a school because you think "It is below you and your superior skill set".

As a future leader of our Children you owe us complete devotion to your craft and you must promise to take seriously the task of continuing development of your skills as a war fighter and a leader!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I think your best choice is to go to Airborne.

1) As a cadet, you have zero time on active duty. Airborne is taught in a manner that is unlike any other school in the Army, and would be the best 'first taste' of the Army. You'll get a chance to meet RIP soldiers, big Army sergeants, fellow cadets, etc. At AASLT, you'll meet a bunch of dudes from 1 division.

2) Jumping out of a plane is a gut check unlike any other. You need to experience this as soon as possible. You need to know what it is like to put your life in the hands of fellow soldiers (riggers, jumpmasters, etc.) and your equipment. After Airborne, a cadet is able to conquer a lot more fear than before.

3) AASLT has a very high drop rate, instructors with unwarranted big egos, and teaches skills that are less practical than what you would get at Airborne. I didn't go until they made me. By that time, I was already running Brigade level pick up zones.

4) You assume you'll get an ABN slot as a 2LT. Keep in mind, by then we will have a different CinC with different priorities. You may not.

Take the best of the two schools where you will get the most. Go Airborne.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

There are a number of us FOGs who have conducted significant numbers of Combat AirAssault operations without benefit of having attended AA school.

As a cadet, you would be much better off attending the Airborne course, that way it is out of the way and you can go right to Ranger following the basic course. If you happen to be assigned to the 101st, they will get you an AA slot, but you will already have Airborne out of the way.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

You got a 360 degree view from some gents who have been there and done that and their advise is spot on. Scare badges are fine but I can honestly say that not one person I ever met saw an Airborne wing or Bullwinkle bage and cringed in fear. Forget the perception issue. Think of it like this.

1. I get to jump out of planes. (I put it first for a reason)
2. I get to get dogged without purpose for 10 days, learn how to tie shit up and ride in a helicopter. After which, they tell you it was the 10 hardest days of your life. (Its a lie)

Jump out of planes, get lied to.....what do you think? 8)
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Airborne. All The Way.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

I went to Air Assualt @ the age of 38. Fat and way out of shape! I was honor grad so what does that tell ya
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I would place Mountain/Northern Warfare above AASLT as well. Lots of good training at those schools.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Be a real man and go to Pathfinder instead of AA. :lol:
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Parabellum wrote:Be a real man and go to Pathfinder instead of AA. :lol:
Oh yeah thats a real smoker.......
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

rgrokelley wrote:
andok wrote:
JLTW!!! wrote:Clearly, you should go to Air Assault (AA, from here out for all you drinkers and smartasses :wink: ) since it is the hardest school in the Army! :roll: Just ask RRDTm3 about his experience :lol:

In all seriousness stud, take the Airborne slot. AA is basically a waste of time. Having said that, if you choose to take the AA slot, make sure you pay attention to detail. Sling load test is what gets most people.
Thank you Ranger JLTW!!! I know the sling load test is what made the guy in our battalion fail. From what I've heard, AA is more difficult and more of a waste of time, but this leads me to another question. For any Rangers or anybody else, if you were in a unit with a new Lieutenant coming in fresh out of ROTC, would your perception of him be any different if he had both Airborne and Air Assault as opposed to just Airborne? Or would it not really matter? I know respect is earned, but does it help for initial trust and perception?
My opinion of a fresh out of ROTC LT with both Airborne and Air Assault? Most likely it would have been "great, another cherry officer who can't pour pee out his boot with directions on the heel. A tourist who merely visits here for a year, while this is my home."

By the way, units in the Army don't run down the road singing "I want to be an Air Assault soldier". There isn't a lot of Air Assault posers, and if there was, who would care.

As far as I know there is no brotherhood known as "ArmyAirAssault.com".

Telling the average civilian you were Air Assault usually gets you a typical dumb stare. Tell them you are a Ranger and there is instant recognition.

Though every unit in the army and the Marines like to tell you that they are "first in", we all know who was really there first. No brag, just historical fact. I think Air Assault comes arrives on the battlefield sometimes after the Indiana National Guard, and sometime before AAFES.

Finally, the only reason Air Assault school was created was to soothe the shattered egos of 101st soldiers who no longer were the tip of the spear, and who wore a lie above their unit patch.

What's next? Sapper School in lieu of Ranger school?
Yep, this is going in the quotes post.

Truer words have never been spoken (bolded text).

Now TADPOLE:

Air Assault is a waste of fucking time. I only went because i had to, just as Ranger Pocketkings stated. IT'S NOTHING SPECIAL.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “About Airborne School”