wind

Ground Week, Tower Week, Jump Week.
poopscoopsdad
US Army Veteran

wind

Post by poopscoopsdad »

poppscoops jumps start this morning, i wonderwhat the threshold on the wind is? do they jump with 15 mph winds? what is the cutoff point? thank u for ur help
Silverback
Ranger

Re: wind

Post by Silverback »

poopscoopsdad wrote:poppscoops jumps start this morning, i wonderwhat the threshold on the wind is? do they jump with 15 mph winds? what is the cutoff point? thank u for ur help
13 Knot surface winds (Just short of 15MPH)
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Silverback
Ranger

Re: wind

Post by Silverback »

Silverback wrote:
poopscoopsdad wrote:poppscoops jumps start this morning, i wonderwhat the threshold on the wind is? do they jump with 15 mph winds? what is the cutoff point? thank u for ur help
13 Knot surface winds (Just short of 15MPH)
I should also mention that the cadre are more likely to cancel a jump within the first two days than they would be later in the week.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

I was out there today. We scratched everything due to winds in excess of 21 knots.

We did wait until the end of our block time in true airborne fashion though. :lol: :lol:

Had to make sure everyone's day was wasted.

I will be out there again in the morning.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

hit_it wrote:I was out there today. We scratched everything due to winds in excess of 21 knots.

We did wait until the end of our block time in true airborne fashion though. :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nothing like sitting around forever in a fucking harness.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I guess they got some good "butterfly" time, though. Gotta love the smell of jet fuel and vomit. :lol:

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
MORTARWILD
Inprocessing

Post by MORTARWILD »

Last edited by MORTARWILD on April 19th, 2009, 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

hit_it wrote:I was out there today. We scratched everything due to winds in excess of 21 knots.

better than the DZSO taking the wind in the truck cab, cause he doesn't think it's right to waste all that money on gas, etc.... how he justified taking a reading in the truck vs. making something up, I don't know, other than he could say honestly that the winds were ___, without having to say in the cab.

or, doing 4 racetracks with sustained 25 kts and on the 5th getting 9...

we all looked at the Canadian JM and he knew we knew, and he just smiled cause he knew it too. we said fuck it, there's 4' of powder on the DZ, how bad could it be?

there were some good drags, but a soft landing for all.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

KW Driver wrote:

better than the DZSO taking the wind in the truck cab, cause he doesn't think it's right to waste all that money on gas, etc.... how he justified taking a reading in the truck vs. making something up, I don't know, other than he could say honestly that the winds were ___, without having to say in the cab.

or, doing 4 racetracks with sustained 25 kts and on the 5th getting 9...

we all looked at the Canadian JM and he knew we knew, and he just smiled cause he knew it too. we said fuck it, there's 4' of powder on the DZ, how bad could it be?

there were some good drags, but a soft landing for all.
I will not confirm or deny that there may or may not have been zero, one or possibly many occassions that the winds may or may not have been higher than that alotted, and the DZSO may or may not have asked for a private, and then 2 more privates to stand in front of the wind meter and called "zero winds on the drop zone". Whenever I heard "zero winds" I knew I was going to eat great big shit on the DZ...

I'm just sayin'... 8)
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

yeah, that's about how it went down the next day. I DACO'd all the passes except the last, which I safetied. I watched all the jumpers sail from one end of Sicily to the other, but can readily say that the winds reported were 8 gusting to 12 (8G12) knots.

You can not beat life on jump status. :lol:
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Isn't the young man in question in Airborne school? If that is true then you were obviously on the wrong drop zone.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Silverback wrote:

Isn't the young man in question in Airborne school? If that is true then you were obviously on the wrong drop zone.
i thought the mention was about Bragg. Sorry for the confusion, removing head from fourth point now.

Too many jumps I guess.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “About Airborne School”