Any special tips/preparations for BAC?

Ground Week, Tower Week, Jump Week.
deleon275
Ranger

Re: Any special tips/preparations for BAC?

Post by deleon275 »

prouddad wrote:My son will be completing OSUT in May, and then onto BAC.

I've read through the FAQs, and most of the threads here. And have read a couple of books that describe Airborne school. But haven't found as much specific info/advice as there is for RIP. I understand BAC is easier than RIP, so not as much to say I guess (not meant as a putdown).

But, are there any special little tips, or things someone can do to be more squared away before starting BAC? Anything a guy can do to be a step ahead mentally, physically, procedurally?

Along those lines:

Are the instructors (are they called DS in BAC?) especially anal about anything?

Do boots still need to be shined to high gloss? With ACUs, aren't the boots non-shine boots now?

Are there any stupid mistakes that students commonly make in BAC?

What's the first day at BAC like?

Are any special exercises to strengthen ankles/knees recommended?

What are guerilla/grass drills, and log drills?

Any info is appreciated.

1. Yes they are anal and will attempt to kick you out of BAC for various reasons (limp in your run, talking in class etc..). They don't joke around from my experience.

2. As long as your boots aren't scuffed up horribly in the morning you'll be good to go. Although, each class is different.

3. Some common mistakes made are falling asleep in class, falling out of easy runs, and showing any signs of injury. Discipline problems happen sometimes too, but the only ones I saw that were dropped for that were the guys straight out BUDS

4. First day I believe you inprocess, get chow, your room etc etc.

5. Swim

6. Never had those in BAC, did in RIP though! :)

You'll be able to find more info through searching this sub-forum.
"When you look at this final agreement that we came to with the White House, I got 98 percent of what I wanted. I’m pretty happy." John Boehner

''If we took away the minimum wage — if conceivably it was gone — we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level.''
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Re: Sarnt Airborne!

Post by Kilted Heathen »

prouddad wrote:Thanks Ranger Deleon,

Have been searching, as recommended. Found one more answer. The instructors (black hats) are always referred to as Sgt Airborne, in an unfailingly enthusiastic tone.

YES, SARNT AIRBORNE!!

Something like that. Correct?

Any other airborne'isms to know about?
Leave the fucking kid alone.

Jesus Christ.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

I found that Sergeant Airborne's like to hear...Yes, Sergeant Airborne Non Ranger Cunt". They really get fired up and happy when they hear that.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
rgrjoe175
Tadpole

Post by rgrjoe175 »

Prouddad...I agree with KH... leave the kid alone.

You definetely sound like a interested parent, but let the kid live his own life now. You actually sound like a worried mom.

My suggestion is to visit a local dz and go through AFF yourself. Start skydiving and find a life of your own.

Take care

JP
1/75 80-83
Class 6-81
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Hey Dad, be concerned if he "DOESN'T" make it through Airborne School. He should be motivated enough himself to properly prepare physically and make it through that course.

In addition we all know you're proud of your son (as you should be).............but do us a favor

USE THE SEARCH BUTTON
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

prouddad wrote:point taken. . .
Bit of attitude there?

This isn't fucking Little-League, you don't get to cheer from the side-lines and all fucking ass-hurt at the coach. We appreciate you raising a warrior but it's time for you to sit the fuck down and let us train him.

Have a nice day.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
RGR Mac
Ranger

Post by RGR Mac »

prouddad wrote:point taken. . .

When I went through Airborne School on the first day while doing push ups I looked to left and there was this fat little 2nd LT broad banging them out with me. That's when I realized if I don't make it through this course I'm the biggest pussy on the face of the earth.
Actually she did not pass but many people who were not exactly studs made it through....if he wants it, he'll get it. You can't do anything but support him...I think you've been told that all ready. The Army knows how to make Paratroopers and Rangers.
Co B/1-75 RGR(81-85)
Army Guard 96-to the present day
E-8/MSG.
Ranger Class 12-82
"You can have one for free if it will shut the hole under your nose"
23LRS
US Army Veteran

Post by 23LRS »

When I went through Airborne School on the first day while doing push ups I looked to left and there was this fat little 2nd LT broad banging them out with me. That's when I realized if I don't make it through this course I'm the biggest pussy on the face of the earth.
Actually she did not pass but many people who were not exactly studs made it through....if he wants it, he'll get it. You can't do anything but support him...I think you've been told that all ready. The Army knows how to make Paratroopers and Rangers.

I gotta agree with you Ranger Mac, Airborne School was the easiest training I did on AD. Of course the NG has a whole new standard for silly crap.
Riamh Nar dhruid O sbairn lan
(Never Retreat From The Clash of Spears)

9ID LRS 90-91
I CORPS LRS 91-93
A CO. 1/509 PIR 93-97
75TH RRA member

Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
who trains my hands for war,
my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144:1
Dando175
Ranger

Post by Dando175 »

Prouddad, I just read a few of your recent posts, and I took a moment to applaud your involvement in your son's most noble endeavor. However, I have but one piece of advice- don't smother him. He needs to learn how to rely on himself and his buddies from now on. You won't be out there with him when he's in a foreign land, panting for breath in 110 degree heat and exchanging sharp, fast-moving metal projectiles with Iraqi insurgents. If you want him to stay safe when it really matters, you must step back and let him struggle through his training NOW, so he will be mentally prepared for combat later. He can get all the tips he needs on his own. Just tell him you love him, pat him on the back, and talk about sports, the family, or the weather back home. He is a soldier now. Soldiers know how to take care of themselves. You must let him go if you want him to come back in one piece.
CPT, USAF Medical Service Corps
A Co. 1/75 99-02
Class 9-01

Return to “About Airborne School”