sitrep...mission failed.

Ground Week, Tower Week, Jump Week.
wannabehooah

sitrep...mission failed.

Post by wannabehooah »

Well, after a year of fighting for it, I made it to airborne school only to dislocate my patella on the third day of training. It's a reoccuring injury that finally fucked me up while we were going through the PLF steps. I got med dropped, couldn't get an appeal, and now they're sending me to Korea (most likely to work at a hospital). I don't know know when/if I'll be back, but at least I got the opportunity. Thanks to the Rangers here for all the info and Good luck to all you DEPs and guys in OSUT. Everything you do is only as hard as you make it, if you want it bad enough you'll get it.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Wannabehooah. You had the balls to lay it on the line and give up several years of your life for the opportunity to try and there are plenty of people who don't. You got medically disqualified and you didn't quit, but you didn't get to the really hard part yet. RIP is much harder than airborne school, which I would call 'somewhat challenging' and 'fun' as one's first course after OSUT, but not hard.

You've got my sympathies for the way you went out, without getting the opportunity to really test yourself.

I wish you the best of luck in Korea, if thats where you end up. Hopefully you can get to a tactical unit before too long.

Thanks for having the balls and self-respect to report back here, even though it did not turn out the way you wanted it to, and thanks for serving our great nation.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Sorry about your luck...anyway you could swing 101st or something like that?
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Good luck!
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
knightcat
Ranger

Re: sitrep...mission failed.

Post by knightcat »

wannabehooah wrote:Well, after a year of fighting for it, I made it to airborne school only to dislocate my patella on the third day of training. It's a reoccuring injury that finally fucked me up while we were going through the PLF steps. I got med dropped, couldn't get an appeal, and now they're sending me to Korea (most likely to work at a hospital). I don't know know when/if I'll be back, but at least I got the opportunity. Thanks to the Rangers here for all the info and Good luck to all you DEPs and guys in OSUT. Everything you do is only as hard as you make it, if you want it bad enough you'll get it.
Damn....this could happen to anyone of us DEPers!! Keep on fighting and just make the best of what you got. At least you went out a fighter and not a quiter....hell never say never.....now you just have to work with plan B.

Good luck with everything and keep your head up.......you are a soldier in the best damn Army in the world.

Knightcat
You better pack a lunch......because I'll be hungry when I'm done beating your ass!!

RS class 05-06
28JUNE2005- R.I.P. brothers 146
C-1 Madslashers 2/75 (Sept. '04- Nov. '07)
RIP Sarn't Mac.....
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Korea

Post by SkyShark »

Korea was a great tour. It was good training. Great chow.
It's all good.
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Freedom Bridge

Post by SkyShark »

Ranger Plavney,

I was in Korea from 92-early 94 C co 1/503 (stop-loss) due to N. Korea president dying. I heard that rumor about 506 leaving Greaves then as well, I had thought they had already left. Guess Not.

We actually got our asses chewed one day at the bridge. We were all in the back of a couple 5 tons getting ready to head back down south after a feild problem. Sure as shit some guy screams "stand alone" abouyt 6 5tons all replied in unisom "sleeps together" It just so happens the CSM for the 506 was there and we got fragged. Laughed so hard doing those pushups. It was great.
It's all good.
Currahee 3-4
Tadpole

Post by Currahee 3-4 »

Ranger Plavney I'M hurt.You would do that to my fellow Currahees????Wheres the love??

I beleive that the 506th was going to go to camp Giant.Ill have to look at the Currahee web site.I was in Aco and loved being at Liberty Bell away from the rest of the BN.

It sucked being at such high strength all of the time because we RARELY went downrange.Actually we did so much field time there wasnt much time left anyway.

Did have fun with the JSA guys though...kept it interesting.
A co 1/506th 91-92
1/327,2/327 92-94

From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
Currahee 3-4
Tadpole

Post by Currahee 3-4 »

Skyshark would that have been CSM Fitzpatrick????I can see him unloading the trucks and smoking some ass..lol.Should have seen the day that CIF wouldnt issue our medics poncho liners and 2Qts.He and the the Division SM straightened them out.Seems they were buddies and had the damn place at parade rest.Im sure some of the Rangers here would know the CSM we had at the time...CSM Acebes
A co 1/506th 91-92
1/327,2/327 92-94

From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

yo

Post by SkyShark »

I have no friggen idea what his name was. I never saw him. Only heard him. It rocked.

CSM Acebes was the CSM at Sand Hill when I went through basic and AIT.
It's all good.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

CSM Acebes was inducted into the Ranger Hall of Fame last August. Got to meet him at a friends party, great guy.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Yo

Post by SkyShark »

I have heard from several people that have met him that he is really cool, down to earth but a little old school when it comesn to soldiering. However, you look at a picture of him he looks evil. 8) Looks like he could kill you with out flinching. :twisted:
It's all good.
Currahee 3-4
Tadpole

Post by Currahee 3-4 »

CSM Fitzpatrick(Satan) was a stern man but damn he was your best friend if you were squared away.He enjoyed going downrange occasionaly with the lower enlisted,dressed in a stalking cap and Harley shirt(loved Harleys).One night in TDC there were a lot of Currahees in a bar,someone from a unit at Cp.Casey talked shit,scuffle breaks out,Satan stands up yells "Currahee" then its a full blown brawl.MP's show up drag some fine 506th soldiers away to cool off.

CSM Satan goes to the MP station"Where the hell are those no good troops of mine that were busted for raising hell????Im here to pick them up and take them back to CP Greaves and school them on how a soldier acts"etc....

They release the offenders to him,he takes them outside and walks them to the next bar where the rest of the merry men are waiting and they all drink the night away.

Now that builds some serious unit cohesion...lmao.
A co 1/506th 91-92
1/327,2/327 92-94

Bell

Re: sitrep...mission failed.

Post by Bell »

wannabehooah wrote:Well, after a year of fighting for it, I made it to airborne school only to dislocate my patella on the third day of training. It's a reoccuring injury that finally fucked me up while we were going through the PLF steps. I got med dropped, couldn't get an appeal, and now they're sending me to Korea (most likely to work at a hospital). I don't know know when/if I'll be back, but at least I got the opportunity. Thanks to the Rangers here for all the info and Good luck to all you DEPs and guys in OSUT. Everything you do is only as hard as you make it, if you want it bad enough you'll get it.
Well? How bad do ya want it? You have choice of duty station when ya leave Korea. I'll bet the Rangers are looking for determined individuals to fill their ranks. It ain't over yet. Get some.

RLTW
Bell

Return to “About Airborne School”