42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Re: LRSUs IN THE CURRENT OE

Post by Slowpoke »

A large problem in Vietnam with being under the direct control of a Brigade or Division Commander was in the Commanders understanding of the capabilities and proper use of a LRRP. Also, believablity was a huge problem. If what we found went against current popular thinking at Higher, we were not to be believed.....even if we'd let them talk to an NVA soldier!

While LRRP units were great for prisoner snatch, ambushing small targets of opportunity, and calling in artillary/airstrikes on larger targets, they were not well suited to acting as a blocking force or as a QRF. But because they were highly skilled and quickly mobile they were often used that way. The QRF needs to be both LARGE and QUICK to be able to respond to time sensitive intel, but Commanders are loath to have any amount of usable troops just setting around waiting for something to do. I don't think these problems are solvable!

What I'm trying to point out is that I agree with the writer, this isn't a new problem, it has been the same problem and the same mistakes repeated over and over, for the past 45 years. The 75th Ranger Regiment appears to have been able to come up with a solution that worked so well that they lost control of the Company to Higher Command..
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn

Return to “Reconnaissance”