The Silent and Deadly Tiger

LRRP, LRP, RRD, LRSD, LRSU, etc...
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

The Silent and Deadly Tiger

Post by Steadfast »

The Silent and Deadly Tiger was danger beyond belief. You could not hear a tiger stalking and approaching your NDP. One of our brothers lost his life to a tiger. I was in the field at the same time on another mission when word came over the radio that one of our men was drug off by a tiger. Raymond's lifeless body was found the following morning approximately 75 meters from the teams NDP. It is always terrible to hear of contact with the enemy resulting in a death but when a tiger does what comes naturally, hunting for its prey to eat a meal......damn it just goes to show that the enemy wasn't your only enemy, wildlife was too. I heard many RVN veteran's talk of man monkey's and how deadly they were. But that is another story. The LRRP that was drug off by the tiger was Raymond Page Johnson. On the Vietnam Memorial Wall he is listed as a non-hostile death, meaning he wasn't shot. He was still KIA. Here is the link to the bio we have On Ray: http://www.4thdivrangers.com/2ndbde/Wall/wallbios.html

The bio on Ray is about halfway down the page. There is no picture by us on him. Ray was in the 7th month of his tour. My unit's 1st Lt. is presently still updating our site. Especially on our deceased brothers. So far it looks good. our link is www.4thdivrangers.com press 2nd Brigade. since this is where most of the new info is located. enjoy.

P.S. I wanted to personally thank EP, Slowpoke and Desert Sloth for their kind entries in our guest book recently. Thanks guys, y'all choked me up on seeing your names. I checked just a little further and found Pafsanias and Jim, who is usaftacp. I want to thank you also for visiting us and signing our guest book.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Excellent site Steadfast! I hope your old buddies make it to Ft.Lewis this summer!
Getting KIA is one think, but killed by a tiger for vittles. Whoa, that will send a shiver down your spine!
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
rangerjd
Ranger

Re: The Silent and Deadly Tiger

Post by rangerjd »

Steadfast wrote:The Silent and Deadly Tiger was danger beyond belief. You could not hear a tiger stalking and approaching your NDP. One of our brothers lost his life to a tiger. I was in the field at the same time on another mission when word came over the radio that one of our men was drug off by a tiger. Raymond's lifeless body was found the following morning approximately 75 meters from the teams NDP. It is always terrible to hear of contact with the enemy resulting in a death but when a tiger does what comes naturally, hunting for its prey to eat a meal......damn it just goes to show that the enemy wasn't your only enemy, wildlife was too. I heard many RVN veteran's talk of man monkey's and how deadly they were. But that is another story. The LRRP that was drug off by the tiger was Raymond Page Johnson. On the Vietnam Memorial Wall he is listed as a non-hostile death, meaning he wasn't shot. He was still KIA. Here is the link to the bio we have On Ray: http://www.4thdivrangers.com/2ndbde/Wall/wallbios.html

The bio on Ray is about halfway down the page. There is no picture by us on him. Ray was in the 7th month of his tour. My unit's 1st Lt. is presently still updating our site. Especially on our deceased brothers. So far it looks good. our link is http://www.4thdivrangers.com press 2nd Brigade. since this is where most of the new info is located. enjoy.

P.S. I wanted to personally thank EP, Slowpoke and Desert Sloth for their kind entries in our guest book recently. Thanks guys, y'all choked me up on seeing your names. I checked just a little further and found Pafsanias and Jim, who is usaftacp. I want to thank you also for visiting us and signing our guest book.
Bump
Great story Steadfast and great website. The first link doesn't work anymore but the second link took me to K CO Rangers.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux

Return to “Reconnaissance”