Introduction: Kyler

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

KylerC03
Embryo

Introduction: Kyler

Post by KylerC03 »

Hello Rangers, My name is Kyler. I am 18 years old, and recently entered the DEP with a 13F option 40 contract. I have browsed this site for a while now sifting through information, but I thought it was time to finally introduce myself. I've been doing PT and doing my best to memorize and live the ranger creed. I ship out June 13, but in the meantime I am trying to get as prepared as I can. My PT scores are as follows: 72 pushups, 78 situps, 15 pull-ups/chinups, and 34:23 5 mile run. While I have time to improve these numbers, should I instead be focusing on improving other aspects of physicality, such as flexibility or strength through weightlifting? I am totally willing to do either path, but I feel its best if I ask you Rangers whether I stick to the path of improving my pt scores, or deviating and focusing on strength and other training. Thank you for your time, and any positive responses, or negative criticism, is greatly appreciated. Rangers Lead The Way!!
Ship date: June 13, 2022
KylerC03
Embryo

Re: Introduction: Kyler

Post by KylerC03 »

I apologies for my lack of attention to detail Ranger Lunch, I will make sure I understand the rules and SOP's of the site and remediate myself before participating further. I appreciate the insight and fully understand if you cannot provide specific information. I hope to keep you Rangers updated on my progress, and will be tuning in frequently to this page and the Fort Sill social media page. Rangers Lead The Way!
KylerC03
Embryo

Post by KylerC03 »

I appreciate the wisdom Ranger Lunch. I have not made injury prevention a priority, which is something that I need to focus on. I can be the most prepared person, but if my body breaks down that's it. I will do some research about common injuries in sports and selection courses and try to implement some preventative techniques. As for my mentality, I hope to continue to train to the point where I am contemplating quitting, yet moving past it. I will try to increase the intensity, so that I know I won't fold under physical or mental stress. Overall, I will try to broaden my horizons when it comes to training.
Carpenter
Ranger

Post by Carpenter »

Kyler, welcome to the site.

From my own experience, having a strong body physically and having a strong endurance base is key. Guys who are skin and bone who can run well but can't pull their own weight quickly quit or get peered out. You're goal should be to obliterate the APFT and crush the 5 miler, all while having a strong body. You've already mentioned it, but memorizing the Ranger Creed and living by it should be something you are actively doing. If you haven't already made a list of short and long term goals start writing them out and how you are going to accomplish those goals. This is something that I try and have every new member to do because it is an important step in accomplishing your goals. To keep yourself accountable create a fitness log and log your APFT scores as well as whatever other lifts you are currently doing. To jump on what Ranger Lunch said, you should be doing some kind of warm-up and post workout recovery to avoid injury. During your research find out some different methods and start incorporating them into your regiment. To close I'd just want to mention that your ship date will creep up on you quickly, and that if you aren't doing everything you can to succeed it'll be there before you know it and you'll regret not putting in as much effort as you could've. This is a very rewarding path to take, and I wish you the best of luck on your journey.
2/75
RASP 05-21
RS 02-23
"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
KylerC03
Embryo

Post by KylerC03 »

Thank you for your input, Ranger Carpenter. I am performing rather well as the Ranger PT test is concerned, but I will continue to get those as high as possible. I will also make sure that I begin to implement injury prevention practices into my day to day. I have been meaning to do this for a while, but the point you made on time slipping away tells me it needs to happen ASAP. I have a weight class next semester starting in January, which is when I will hope to build overall strength aside from regular PT. As of now, I will begin to include things mentioned like injury prevention and living the ranger creed and ranger mindset. I will continue to focus on my PT scores, and will keep you Rangers posted on my progress concerning those.
KylerC03
Embryo

Post by KylerC03 »

Rangers, thank you for all the wisdom given so far. A question has been eating at my mind though. Should I be incorporating weight training in my routine at all? I've been focusing on body weight stuff for a while along with running, and haven't hit the weight room in a bit. My focus is on getting as good as possible on the RPFT. Is my course of action wise, or should I be putting a higher emphasize on strength and weight training? Thank you again. Rangers Lead The Way!
Carpenter
Ranger

Post by Carpenter »

Should I be incorporating weight training in my routine at all? I've been focusing on body weight stuff for a while along with running, and haven't hit the weight room in a bit. My focus is on getting as good as possible on the RPFT. Is my course of action wise, or should I be putting a higher emphasize on strength and weight training?
You can still do both. But I wouldn't hold out on weight training. If you have some sort of schedule for working out you can schedule certain days for hitting weights or calisthenics. Lots of guys hit both on the same day. But from my own experience having a strong overall body is going to lead you to being successful. And while calisthenics are great, doing them alone won't put prepare you enough. Both overall strength and muscle endurance are very important. The gym will also open the door to weighted calisthenics which many people find great results from working them into their routines.
2/75
RASP 05-21
RS 02-23
"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
KylerC03
Embryo

Post by KylerC03 »

Thank you Ranger Carpenter. It's nice to know from those who have experience. I will get going to the gym and focus on improving my overall fitness. I will also, like you said earlier, make injury prevention a priority.
BlueLiner
Ranger/Admin

Post by BlueLiner »

Welcome to the site Kyler, update your signature line with your ship date, and be sure to open up a letters from school thread on your progress when you get to the hotel, it helps us keep track of your progress. Attack everything relentlessly as it comes to you, and never settle for anything. Always be for the boys. Best way to improve on RFT stuff is to, you guessed it, do RFT stuff. There's NUMEROUS threads on this forum that cover that topic because plenty of DEPS before you have encountered the same problem. I highly advise you look into them to shoot your numbers up really high. RLTW.
RASP 7-19
RS 9-20
Mentee to Ranger Slowpoke
"Get that lumber in his teeth! Let 'em know you're there!" - Reggie Dunlop
PUT ON THE FOIL!
KylerC03
Embryo

Post by KylerC03 »

Hello Rangers,

I am nearing 2 months out from my ship date, June 13. I have been in the gym for a few months now and have just started to focus on my running. I ran a 35:40 today, which as you noticed is about a minute slower than I’ve previously had. While it could be from weight gain in the gym, it could also be from a gap in running at the beginning of the year. With my brother who is currently in the SF pipeline, and many of his new friends in pre rasp, I’ve been focusing more on improving my general fitness, running, and injury prevention over the rpft. While the rpft is important, I’ve been told that I’ll have time to work on those events on my own time. My game plan as of right now is to continue running and lifting, as well as rucking. A few weeks out, I will slowly phase out of weight lifting and transition into a calisthenics based workout. Hopefully I will see an increase in numbers there, as well as condition my body, which has been used to picking up heavy things and putting them down. As I approach 2 months out, criticism and advice becomes more important than ever. Anything you Rangers have to say is much appreciated. Thank you. RLTW.

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”