Introduction - Dylan

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Dylkane98
Egg

Introduction - Dylan

Post by Dylkane98 »

Hi everyone, my name is Dylan, I'm a Senior studying Computer Science at Penn State University.

I've known for a long time my goal is to work for the US military, and originally that manifested as programming for defense contractors. I've worked at Northrop Grumman as a software engineer and I currently have a full-time job lined up to work at Lockheed Martin upon graduating. This is all good, and I felt like it was a good alternative to serving because it won't stress out my parents and I'll still have a lot of freedoms, but I think I've been kidding myself thinking I will be satisfied not serving. I have had a few role models in my life who were Army Rangers, Army Special forces and even Navy SF, and I respect these guys more than anything. Seeing what they've accomplished, I know it's the kind of life I want. On top of that, I recently found out about the addition of the Regimental Military Intelligence Battalion to the Rangers, and I've been thinking that might just be there perfect way for me to serve at a high level while implementing my tech skill-set.

I'm coming to this site to hopefully gain some knowledge on RMIB and see if a programmer actually could make a good Ranger in that Battalion. There is not a particularly plentiful amount of information about them on the internet, so I was hoping perhaps you all could give me some insight into that world and what their work looks like compared to the other battalions, as well as the best way to get into it.

I've also been thinking about going the OCS route, but I've gotten mixed signals from this site and other sources on if that's likely or even possible to get into Rangers after OCS. Is enlisting or OCS the better route?

I'm an athletic guy, 195 pounds, 12 minute 2-mile time, and am confident I have the drive to make it through the hardships of becoming a Ranger.

Thank you all for your service! Let me know if you all have any advice for me.
Dylkane98
Egg

Re: Introduction - Dylan

Post by Dylkane98 »

Hello Ranger xray, thanks for the response. I'll make sure to use that email, that's extremely helpful!
IntelToad
Ranger

Re: Introduction - Dylan

Post by IntelToad »

Welcome here Dylan, there are some pretty intense cyber career paths that can take you into Regiment via the RMIB. Sounds like you have the brains and the physical fitness to take a shot at it.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”