Introduction - Stephen

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Templar
Egg

Introduction - Stephen

Post by Templar »

Hello Rangers,

My name is Stephen, I'm 17 years old, and I just finished 11th grade. I have been to my local recruiting station twice and told them my intention is to enlist with an 11X Option 40 contract. I am hoping to enlist soon but I doubt my parents will sign off for me, so I will probably be enlisting sometime in early 2021 when I turn 18.

I am currently training with a friend for the cross-country team in the fall. My preparation for RASP includes running on the cross-country team as well as doing calisthenics and rucking on my own time, taking cold showers, and making my life suck in other fun ways.

I hope to learn as much as possible from this site to prepare myself mentally and physically for RASP and Ranger Battalion.

PT scores will be uploaded within 72 hours.

Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Introduction - Stephen

Post by Disinfertention »

Hey Stephen,

Thanks for your interest.

Why do you think your parents won't be supportive of you joining the Army?
Why do you think you need or want to join the 75th Ranger Regiment?

This site has decades of experience for people like you trying to join.
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09 - 04

Templar
Egg

Post by Templar »

Thank you for the reply Ranger Disinfertention,

I recently told my parents about my desire to join the 75th Ranger Regiment. My mom is worried (of course) but overall accepting of it. My dad thinks I am too close-minded and that I should keep my options open, especially because I have good grades. He is more concerned about mental illness than me getting killed. He also doubts I will be able to complete RASP (which he knows very little about).

In summary, I think they will ultimately allow me to join, but they are not ready for me to "rush into" enlistment.

I have been thinking about the Army for 2 years. I originally wanted to join the 82nd. My interest in special operations started once I read online that most "big army" infantrymen mostly mop the floors and don't do their actual job. (However I don't want to be a Ranger simply to avoid mopping floors.) After I learned more about the intense training, frequent deployment and special skills of the Rangers, I was hooked. The reasons I want to be a Ranger are because of the high adrenaline, strong commitment/discipline and service to country. I always have striven to be the best I can be at any task I pursue, and after thinking about this for a few months I cannot picture myself doing anything else.

I also forgot to mention that I am currently working on my Eagle Scout project. I am planning to build a picnic table for my local VA hospital.

I will conduct a PFT test tomorrow and upload my scores.

CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Stephen.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776

IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Welcome here Stephen.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987

Templar
Egg

Post by Templar »

Thank you Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV and Ranger IntelToad.

These are my current PFT scores:

APFT:
Pushups: 43 (61%)
Situps: 70 (88%)
2 mi. run: 16:48 (48%)
TOTAL: 197

Pullups: 12

ACFT:
Leg Tuck: 12 (84%)
Hand-Release Pushup: 35 (75%)
2 mi. run: 16:48 (78% in contrast to 48% on APFT)

I assume you are not as concerned with the ACFT scores as the APFT scores. Obviously I could not complete the whole ACFT because I don't have the equipment.

Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Templar wrote:
July 10th, 2020, 7:54 pm
Thank you for the reply
There is always lots of doubt that people will give you. People naturally have aversion to things that are preconceived as hard or very difficult or especially those things that have consequences. If it was easy, everyone would do it and no one would doubt that you could make it. It is a natural reaction for people to doubt you. It's up to you to ignore it, show up to the selection, and give it what you can. The processes of selection exist for a reason. It's not simply a pass or fail thing although those events do exist. You can show up at a selection, do nothing wrong, but not make it. That isn't failure.

Generally I consider it healthy when folks show up and want to be apart of the community and want to avoid the rest of the Army. It's a form of motivation for each of you. But it also gives you a twisted view of the conventional military. Sometimes it is true. Based on the requirements that Regiment has you are definitely going to train to your profession most every day. But you're definitely going to do plenty of things that are distractions and not just grunt work or cool stuff. I'd say the military in general is about 10% doing the stuff you thought you'd do and 90% of "what the fuck am I doing here" type of stuff. No one wants to see recruitment videos of how to file EO violations or why being a jerk is bad... but we do all that training too.

ACFT scores are better... The Army is going to it eventually. Although I am not sure of that timeline now considering recent events with COVID and whatnot. Train to both the best you can and within your abilities. Those are great scores and good starting points.

Have fun with your Eagle Scout project. Let us know how it goes.
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09 - 04

Templar
Egg

Post by Templar »

Roger Ranger Disinfertention.

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”