Introduction-Julian

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

JayB17
Embryo

Introduction-Julian

Post by JayB17 »

Hello Rangers,
My name is Julian and I am currently in the US Army Reserves and was attending a local state college. I joined the US Army Reserves to go to college, as well as taking part in my colleges ROTC program to become an Officer. I have come to conclusion that college was not for me and that I would rather be an enlisted Soldier. I have taken action an had a DD368 filled out to switch to Active Duty as well as reclassing to 11X with Opt 40. My DD368 was approved and now waiting to go back to MEPS to see if I am eligible for an Opt 40 contract. Another problem that I have stumbled upon is that my GT score is not up to standard to secure an Opt 40 contract. I am seeking advice on what my approach should be. My first thought was to secure an Option 4 contract and volunteering for RASP during Airborne School or hoping for a waiver at MEPS. I look forward to the challenge and soaking up a copious amount of information,

Thank you, Julian
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Introduction-Julian

Post by Disinfertention »

Hey Julian. Welcome to ArmyRanger.com

To answer your question, I would study and retake the ASVAB to try to score over 110 before going to MEPS if that is an option. I'm not very familiar with how the Reserves or NG work, though. You can definitely enlist in a Ranger eligible MOS with no option or OPT 4 and volunteer. But if you have a goal and you want to guarantee your slot, getting an OPT 40 is the best way to do that.

Why is being enlisted a better route compared to doing ROTC? What is making you changer your mind?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
JayB17
Embryo

Post by JayB17 »

Good Evening Ranger Disinfertention,
I was not able to increase my GT score due to my unit not sending me to take the BSEP, but that is ok. I went to MEPS today and was wanting an Airborne Infantry contract. Unfortunately prior service apparently can not receive a Option 4 contract.I stuck with a regular 11X contract. I was wondering how likely it would be for me to be able to volunteer for Airborne School during OSUT? I am not worried that I did not receive Option 4 or 40 contracts, because I know that I will get the opportunity to be a Ranger. There is no such thing as quitting.

As far as enlisted versus Officer. I enjoyed being enlisted and being more involved. I feel one day I will become an amazing NCO to lead soldiers to greatness.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

I'm not sure how often they offer Jump School once you are in OSUT. I know the Ranger Recruiters will come by and ask for volunteers during your class. What is your GT Score? You probably know this but last I checked it was 105 to qualify for an OPT40.

Once you get through the first few weeks and have time to talk to your Drill Sergeants I would ask them about that if you don't hear anything while there. You'll know the right time to ask. Maybe during a Q&A session if they have one or some down time.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Julian.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
JayB17
Embryo

Post by JayB17 »

Good Evening Ranger Disinfertention,
Unfortunately my GT score is not up to standards. I currently have a 103 GT score. I have spoken with a Ranger recruiter via Instagram and the Ranger said they do not offer waivers for 11 series MOSs at this moment. These obstacles will be overcome. I plan to take the BSEP to improve my GT score and secure my slot for RASP later down the road.
JayB17
Embryo

Post by JayB17 »

Good Evening Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV,
Thank you for allowing me to soak up information and providing guidance to become one of the best.
JayB17
Embryo

Post by JayB17 »

Good Evening Rangers,
Now that I have an 11X contract signed and will be leaving very soon for OSUT. I am now seeking advice for my course of action after completing OSUT. I was unable to receive a Opt 40 contract due to my GT score not being up to standards. I seek advice on the best and quickest way to get into RASP. I will not give up on my dream to become a Ranger.

Very Respectfully, Julian

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”