Introduction: Drayton

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

DKN
Future Soldier / Opt 4

Introduction: Drayton

Post by DKN »

Hello Rangers,

My name is Drayton, 21 years old, on VBL, and 4 weeks deep into basic training. I was not aware that this website existed until I met, a now good buddy of mine, rysilver55 in basic training. I was able to attain a 68W OPT 4 contract upon my enlistment into the Army this past November with a heart deadset on dropping a packet for RASP either in AIT or Airborne school. After having the pleasure to link up with ry in basic he told me about Armyranger.com and I heeded his advice to quickly get plugged into the community.

I graduated from college with an Associate's degree this past May and made the decision to enlist based on a wide variety of reasons. After graduating high school I wanted to join the Navy immediately but was deterred by my parents for good reason I might add. The experience I have gained within the past 3 years is invaluable. I am looking forward to becoming Mr. Sponge within this next allotted IET period, especially during my opportunity at RASP. I have heard through the grapevine that there is a discord would love to be able to find a spot into a mentoring program may the chance arise!

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to give this a look over.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: Introduction: Drayton

Post by centermass »

Your rank and permissions have been upgraded allowing you to view the "Mentoring Forum"

There is a wealth of information there, which you can get started reading in the mean time while waiting for additional guidance.

Log off and log back in and you will see it.

RLTW!
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Drayton,

I guess I missed your post or it has been awhile since I last logged in. I'm glad Ry recommended you to come over here and get access to our information. If you want to join the 75th, this is a great resource for you to leverage.

What was the "good reason" to not join the Navy? Why join the military at all?

Did you play any sports in school or during your time in college?

What were you last scores for the APFT or ACFT if you all are doing that instead?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Welcome here Drayton, good luck to you.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
DKN
Future Soldier / Opt 4

Post by DKN »

Ranger centermass,

Thank you for giving me the permission into the mentoring forum, I am beginning my journey into AIT here as I write this so I look forward to having more time to be on board.
“I must be taken as I have been made. The success is not mine, the failure is not mine, but the two together make me.”
― Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

D
DKN
Future Soldier / Opt 4

Post by DKN »

Ranger Disinfertention,

Beginning with your first question and not to get super personal, I just was not mentally in the right place to begin the trials of starting a new career. I played football for 12 years and after some injuries my senior year I lost my chances of a proper collegiate run. The extra two years of trying to traverse the early stages of adulthood, combined with some things I had to live through, did not make me the best candidate for the military at the time. I was more emotionally engaged than I was rational. My academics scored me plenty of opportunities to go on and finish my two year degree which also allowed me to overcome some adversity that was within. I eventually found myself rodeoing zealously while attending college classes, I had to make a career choice and find something that was going to be the best fit for me. Riding bulls in small pro rodeos has a short ceiling. After seeing my tuition statements during my research about transferring to university my cousin, who is a recruiter about to retire, got ahold of me during my transitioning period and gave him some information about the Army. I brushed him off, but he was real with me thankfully. He did his job though and the military was back on the table for me. I was going to enlist into the Air Force originally but during my research and many mutual contacts I learned about the SOF community. After learning about the 75th Ranger Regiment specifically and their past history I eventually made the call back to my cousin which brings me to where I am at today prepping to step into 68W AIT.

Since TRADOC has incorporated the ACFT into its curriculum now I have not had a crack at an APFT since before my enlistment. My last most recent ACFT score was a 505. I was DQ'd on the pushups unfortunately. I scored as following on the final ACFT of the cycle:
DL- 260
Ball Throw- 8'6
T Pushups- 32
SDC- 1:50
Leg Tuck: 14
2 Mile- 13:35
“I must be taken as I have been made. The success is not mine, the failure is not mine, but the two together make me.”
― Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

D

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”