Introduction - Grigory

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

BeastFromTheEast
Foreign Military

Introduction - Grigory

Post by BeastFromTheEast »

Hi everyone!

I'm a "former Ranger" of sorts, as I served in a very comparable unit in terms of tasks and means, the recon battalion of the 76th Guards Airborne Assault division of the Russian armed forces!
I left the Army about a decade ago and now work as a technical translator in the automotive industry, so I'm not here to spy; and even then, you don't find secrets on a public forum. I was just always wondering, during my military career, how was the life, training, kit of the other special forces I could fight against or with some day, be it Chinese, French, Israeli and of course American units. And now, I stumbled upon this forum and decided it could be worth it to register!

So, I hope I won't bother you if I talk to you, and that the Democrats aren't going to call you "Russian agents" because of my account here :lol:
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Introduction - Grigory

Post by cams »

Welcome Grigori, I think we’ve all had those same thoughts during our service. Pretty normal to wonder if they’re like us, or complete robots or complete turds.

Plenty of information on the site that covers a lot of your questions, and of course plenty of information that can’t or won’t be posted for OPSEC reasons.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
BeastFromTheEast
Foreign Military

Post by BeastFromTheEast »

Thanks, I must admit I was a little afraid of the reaction of the forum members to my introduction! And yes, it seems like pretty much all soldiers in the world asked themselves this question; I have a friend who served in the Foreign Legion, and my father has friends who served in the East German army, they all told similar stories, and the latter even went on to meet NATO soldiers and talk to them in 1990.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Why were you hesitant? Because you’re from the Soviet army? Really, in the end we’re all pretty much the same, young and old soldiers fighting each other because we all think we’re doing the right thing for our country, maybe we were naive, adventurous and wanted to be tested as men. Maybe the fighting was for completely different reasons like the GWOT to let those goat fuckers know we won’t be fucked with without handing out an ass whooping. Maybe other wars were just because our rich politicians couldn’t get enough money or land in their coffers, in the end, we all live or die with our wars, we all mourn our Brothers or family members who gave up the ghost, and we all tend to be forgotten by the same rich pols that sent us.

I’ve always been fascinated with East Germany and Cold War spy stuff. I stood across the river from the Berlin Wall back in ‘88 while it was still active. I saw the gun turrets still being manned, and pointing into East Germany, at its own citizens, not outwards towards the West. The fake town that was set up near the wall, complete Hollywood style ghost town, with timers on the houses lights so they would look occupied to others watching. Very North Korean-esque.

Interesting times, Russia was our biggest threat and enemy, politics aside, I’m sure you guys were just like us, missing your families and freezing your asses off wondering what our kids will think of us if we never make it back.

I’m glad we never had to find out Grigori, anyway, welcome to our Ranger forum, I’m sure you’ll have some interesting stories for us.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

BeastFromTheEast wrote: March 27th, 2019, 9:50 am Thanks, I must admit I was a little afraid of the reaction of the forum members to my introduction! And yes, it seems like pretty much all soldiers in the world asked themselves this question; I have a friend who served in the Foreign Legion, and my father has friends who served in the East German army, they all told similar stories, and the latter even went on to meet NATO soldiers and talk to them in 1990.
I think you'd find as long as you don't intend to spam the site with shit links and other dumb stuff, we are pretty ok with most folks here. Thanks for coming by.

I won't try to pretend I understand a lot of the world lately but in all my ignorance I know I have put feet on the ground in some of the same areas as folks from Russia. Our goals are different, we square off a bit in Syria and Ukraine, but I personally have respect for the people of Russia. Welcome here. Perhaps we can learn a bit from each other if you care to chat - I don't know any Russian so thanks for speaking English to us I guess. 8)
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

I don't fully get Russian military so I tossed you a generic one - we have a couple folks from non US mil here. So, have at it.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”