Introduction - Kelvin

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Newberg
Egg

Introduction - Kelvin

Post by Newberg »

Hi my name is Kelvin and I am 16 years old and a junior at Newberg High School in Oregon. I aspire to one day be apart of the 75th ranger regiment when I graduate from high school. I have started talking to my local recruiter but we can't really do much because I am not 17 yet. I am currently at my all time high for physical activity. I run track and field in the spring and do the preseason workouts in the winter and my own conditioning in the fall. Right now I am doing Stew Smith's army PFT book and I am 5 weeks in out of 12. I am 5,8 and weigh 145 pounds. My 2 mile run time is 13:50, my pullups is 17 repetitions, my push ups is 60 in two min and my sit ups are also 60. Right now I really wanna focus on my running speed plus endurance and my core strength because I don't have the best core. I came on this website for guidance on my mental and physical journey to become the best I can be before graduation.

*Admin Edit - PERSEC
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Introduction - Kelvin

Post by Disinfertention »

Hey Kelvin,

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com. This site has forged dozens of young wannabe people into Ranger's and no doubt influenced hundreds of others. If you want to serve in the 75th Ranger Regiment (notice my capitalization) then you came to the right place.

Ensure you read the rules, stickies, and highlighted topics across the site before you post in a section - that includes confirming you read the ones here in the Introduction forum. Always research your questions before you post them. An educated question is far better than spamming us with things that have been asked countless times. We are in part here to help and guide folks but no one here will spoon feed you.

Why do you want to be a Ranger? What inspired you to that goal?
What are your career goals with the military besides "Be a Ranger"?
Have you already told your parents of your goal to join the military?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Newberg
Egg

Post by Newberg »

Thank you for adding me onto the forum, it is greatly appreciated. I would say that I have wanted to join the military for about 4 years now and I started looking into the army rangers after my preseason winter workouts for track last year with my coach and about 20 other kids. I always heard that my coaches off season workouts were tough but I never really understood until I went to one for the first time. He had us push sleds across a basketball court 5-6 times with a plate and an extra 10 - 15 pound weight on top. Me being such bad shape put me behind everyone else and, I really struggled. I was very light headed, a couple bigger football kids working out with us threw up and it was just overall terrible. My legs were so sore and stiff I kept tripping over myself and falling when we started doing sprints across the gym. But the beauty of that is that my teammates would help me up every time. Long story short I did those type of workouts with my coach all winter. I hated them in the moment but I didn't dare quit or stop coming to them. At the end of winter I could look around and I knew that I could depend on these 20-25 guys and girls to help me during any problem that we would face in the track season and they could rely on me. Sorry if that story was to long but that is what inspired me to be a army ranger. I want to better myself everyday with people that I can count on and who can count on me. I want the army to be a career. In a perfect world I would like to be infantry for a decent amount of time then become a helicopter pilot later down the road. I have told my parents about my wishes to join the military and my dad always tells me that he didn't raise a quitter so there is always a motivation for me not to let him down. I hope this gave you some insight on why I want to join the 75th ranger regiment.

-Kelvin
Newberg
Egg

Post by Newberg »

I am sorry but I forgot to capitalize Ranger in my latest post. It wont happen again.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

It's a good starting point. Ensure you research what you are talking about doing, which is a career in the military. Not everyone can stumble into the profession and make it work for 20 years. And in this day with how much information is out there, there is no excuse for not knowing.

Being physically fit is a large part but not definitely not the biggest. Research how to conduct an APFT and give yourself one in the coming days. Come back here and report your scores. Feel free to update us on anything before you complete your task.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Newberg
Egg

Post by Newberg »

Will do Ranger Disinfertention. The PT scores I have in my introduction was from last Monday so I got my next APFT test in 3 weeks and I will post my scores after I complete it.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Kelvin.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

KelvinOpitz wrote: November 2nd, 2018, 3:20 pm Will do Ranger Disinfertention. The PT scores I have in my introduction was from last Monday so I got my next APFT test in 3 weeks and I will post my scores after I complete it.
Ok, got it. It sounded like you did them individually and not in the format of an APFT.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”