Introduction - Elliot

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

JellyBeanFTW
Egg

Introduction - Elliot

Post by JellyBeanFTW »

Hello Rangers!

While currently a DoD civilian, I have 3 years of active duty time as a 92R (parachute rigger) in the big Army. After BCT, jump school, and AIT, I was sent to Benning for Pre-RIP (I had Option-40 in my contract). I was much younger then and wasn't motivated to do PT in my own time. Because of that, I never made it to RIP due to sit-ups. I never quit. But they asked me to leave and come back when I was better prepared. I was then sent to Bragg to be a rigger with 11th QM and never strove to go back to RIP due to laziness.

After my 3 year enlistment, I decided against a re-up in favor of finishing my music education degree. Within months, I realized that I dislike civilian life and wanted to re-enlist. But I figured I'd finish school first. Well, a bachelors, 7 years (I'm now 33yo), and 40 pounds later, I'm finally in talks with a recruiter to get back in. I'm down ~25 pounds since January of this year and am nearly passing tape. I've also been running, pushing, and sitting up more than ever. I still don't meet PT standards but will soon.

The reason I'm joining this forum?.... I need to be a Ranger. I've lead a life of mediocrity for far too long. Not only do I need to prove to myself that I'm better than useless, I want to be a part of something bigger than me that makes a difference. I kick myself every day for not working at it the first time around. But mentally, I was just a kid then. And I'm ready (or nearly ready) to tackle the obstacle that is the 75th Regiment.

So my current status is: Waiting for medical paperwork to be sent to MEPS from the recruiter for a 'med-read' (after an appointment next week), working on PT daily, mentally preparing for punishment (RASP + Ranger School).

Thanks for letting me be a part of this forum. And hopefully I can meet some of you at Regiment some day!
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Re: Introduction - Elliot

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Elliot.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Hey Elliot,

As a person who would win the Best Mediocre Ranger competition I can relate to that attitude some, believe it or not. The difference is knowing your faults and how adapt to them to ensure you still perform at a high level. So I think the top item you've done is noted your issue and constantly working to fix it. Having clear defined goals will really help with that - which becoming a member of the 75th is definitely a clear and defined goal.

We have quite the resources here. If you do have a question ensure you use the search feature here and elsewhere. Make an informed post about your question so we don't rehash old or obvious stuff. What are your current APFT scores with pull ups? Are you able to run 5 miles yet? Even if it is a really slow pace. While you aren't exactly young anymore there are plenty of guys that have come before you at that age and completed it. Rucking/hiking would be an excellent way to help you lose weight while also prepping your body for some of the challenges.

Keep us updated on your PT progress and with MEPs! Do you have a specific MOS you are hoping for?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
JellyBeanFTW
Egg

Post by JellyBeanFTW »

ManchuV wrote: July 23rd, 2018, 11:51 pm Elliot, welcome to ArmyRanger.com.

I wish you well in your quest in becoming a Ranger.
Thanks, Ranger ManchuV!
JellyBeanFTW
Egg

Post by JellyBeanFTW »

CharlieRanger1FFV wrote: July 24th, 2018, 5:41 am Welcome to the site, Elliot.

RLTW!!!
Thanks, Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV. And yes, they do!
JellyBeanFTW
Egg

Post by JellyBeanFTW »

Disinfertention wrote: July 24th, 2018, 6:48 pm Hey Elliot,

As a person who would win the Best Mediocre Ranger competition I can relate to that attitude some, believe it or not. The difference is knowing your faults and how adapt to them to ensure you still perform at a high level. So I think the top item you've done is noted your issue and constantly working to fix it. Having clear defined goals will really help with that - which becoming a member of the 75th is definitely a clear and defined goal.

We have quite the resources here. If you do have a question ensure you use the search feature here and elsewhere. Make an informed post about your question so we don't rehash old or obvious stuff. What are your current APFT scores with pull ups? Are you able to run 5 miles yet? Even if it is a really slow pace. While you aren't exactly young anymore there are plenty of guys that have come before you at that age and completed it. Rucking/hiking would be an excellent way to help you lose weight while also prepping your body for some of the challenges.

Keep us updated on your PT progress and with MEPs! Do you have a specific MOS you are hoping for?
Ranger Disinfertention,

I appreciate your thoughts, encouragement, and suggestions. I'm glad I'm not alone in mediocrity. :oops:

I have jogged as far as 6 miles so far but at a slow pace (around 67 minutes) with a long term goal of 10 miles in 1.5 hours. My 5 mile time is closer to 10min/mile currently. My 2 mile time has been as low as 19:20 or so. Each week, my current running schedule is one long slow run (4-6 miles), a timed 2 mile, and some sprint work on Fridays. I'm a biggish guy (255 pounds) so I'm having to go at this progress a bit slower than I'd like to avoid shin splints. So far so good and there's been obvious improvement each week.

As for pull-ups/chin-ups, I've been working on those some but not as much as I should. It's easy to forget since it's not been part of my normal routine. I'd say I've currently got 2 perfect pull-ups (to Ranger standards). Much of my work with pull-ups is in the form of 'reverse pull-ups'. Get all the way to the top, even if I have to cheat a bit, and then slowly ease myself down. Sometimes the pull-up is is held at the top in this fashion for a few seconds and then eased down. Of course, I'm open to suggestions!

Other PT scores have been around 35-40 push-ups and 35-40 sit-ups. Sit-ups have always been my main issue. But I'm working on both at least three times per week. Usually on run days.

As for rucking, I started incorporating that into my weekly workout twice per week so far. The speed isn't there yet (15min/mile). But it's getting there. After another week or so of getting my shoulders and hips used to it, I'll likely start going for time (3 hours) and just try to increase distance with each session.

I'll be sure to use the search function or just browse forums if I have questions. There really is a wealth of information and advise here if folks are willing to find it.

Oh, I almost forgot... I'd be content with coming back as a 92R (rigger). The job was always enjoyable and I was confident with every aspect of it. If there were other options open for prior service guys like me, I'd definitely consider them. I guess I'll just have to wait for MEPS to let me know what jobs are available. And when they tell me that a specific job isn't available with Option-40, I'll proceed to smash their keyboard over their head and give them the phone number for ROC. :lol:

Thanks again,
Bean

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”