Introduction - Ry

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

rysilver55
Future Soldier / Opt40

Introduction - Ry

Post by rysilver55 »

Hello Rangers,

My name is Ry and I am a 19 year old college student from MA. I discovered the forum a few months ago and finally decided to create an account.
I will be attending a local school for my freshman year in September and will be majoring in exercise science. I plan to meet with a recruiter and begin the enlistment process after I complete my freshman year. Currently I am working at a car service shop and working on my PT. I look forward to learning more about Rangers and am thankful for the opportunity to be a member of this forum.

Currently, my PT numbers are:
Push-ups: 45
Sit-ups: 69
2 mile run: 12:34
5 mile run: 36:00
Pull-ups: 12
68W OPT 40
Ship Date 19 NOV 2019
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Re: Introduction - Ry

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Ry.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
rysilver55
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by rysilver55 »

Thank you, Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV.
68W OPT 40
Ship Date 19 NOV 2019
rysilver55
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by rysilver55 »

Rangers,

A quick update: I discovered Ranger Silverback's pushup improvement plan in the "About Army PT" section of the forum. I will be implementing the program into my training routine in order to improve my extremely poor pushup numbers.

To provide a little more background about myself, I am a former football player (linebacker), so I'm very used to lifting heavy weights and training for absolute strength. I performed pushups often, but for years I did not use a full range of motion, so I am paying the price now. When I first conducted my self-administered APFT, I made sure to perform my pushups strictly by ensuring that my chest touched the ground and I completely locked out my arms each rep. I will make sure to continue to post my progress, as my current pushup total is unacceptable and needs to be addressed.

Ry
68W OPT 40
Ship Date 19 NOV 2019
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Hey Ry,

Glad to have you here.

What is the reason you are going to do a single year or two of college before moving on? What are your long term (5-10 year) education goals since you are putting in some effort on the front side of enlisting? What MOS do you plan to go for?

There are tons of great push-up programs out there. At the end of the day the best way to get better at pushups is to do more pushups. Some guys found that trying to do them for longer than the two minute time limit helped their stamina as well. Not for me though.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
rysilver55
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by rysilver55 »

Ranger Disinfertention,

Thank you for your reply.

My foremost goal is to earn a spot in the 75th Ranger Regiment. As far as education, my plan is to eventually earn an undergraduate degree in exercise science and then later pursue a masters degree in more advanced exercise physiology. I was reluctant to go to college at first, but I realized that it could be worthwhile to spend the next 8 or so months preparing both physically and mentally before I enlist. I plan to knock out some credits in the coming year at a nearby college while I spend the rest of my time working and aiming to get my PT scores as high as possible. I plan to complete my education once I am done with my career in the Army.

At first I was having a hard time between planning on pursuing either an 11x or a 68w MOS, but I am leaning more toward 11x now. I have been and will continue to research on this website so that I will be able to walk into the recruiter's office knowing exactly what to do in order to obtain an 11x Option 40 contract. From what I've read using the search feature of the forum, I understand that you cannot obtain an option 40 contract with a medical waiver. I was diagnosed with a penicillin allergy as an infant, but I will be asking my doctor during my annual physical next month for an allergy test to determine if I still have the allergy.

I appreciate your recommendations for improving pushups. The method of doing them for more than two minutes at a time sounds like an interesting idea that seems helpful to implement into my training, as I tend to burn out early during the test.

Thank you.

Ry
68W OPT 40
Ship Date 19 NOV 2019
rysilver55
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by rysilver55 »

Rangers,

Since it has been almost a month since my last post, I figured I would post an update. I have been doing PT 6 days a week, and have incorporated more volume for pushups into my routine. The added volume is paying off, and upon retesting my pushups, I am now at 56 repetitions in 2 minutes. This number is no where near where I want and need to be, so I will continue to work and improve.

I started doing some light rucking to get a feel for it once a week using a backpack filled with sandbags weighing around 40 pounds total. I've been going on hour long marches at the local high school track to measure the distance and try to maintain at least a 15 minute per mile pace.

Finally, I had my annual physical with my doctor the other day, and scheduled a penicillin allergy test for October 31. I know that there is a chance to pick up the Option 40 contract at AIT, but I want to be able to know if I even still have the allergy so I will be prepared to obtain the 11x Option 40 contract that I desire when I meet with a recruiter.

Thank you,

Ry
68W OPT 40
Ship Date 19 NOV 2019
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Thanks for checking in, Ry. That's a substantial improvement in a month. Keep at it and you'll be doing 70+ reps in no time.

I definitely agree with you on trying to get the contract at the start. That is the only sure way to go. Seems as though lots of folks are getting a briefing and asked to volunteer in AIT but no way would I consider it a guarantee. As far as medical waivers go, that all sounds correct. Outside of this site a recruiter or probably even the Army website would have good information on that type of stuff. Sounds like you have the answer you need for right now though.

Have you settled on a 11X OPT 40 then? Are you currently in school or are you starting later this month?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
rysilver55
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by rysilver55 »

Ranger Disinfertention, I will definitely be aiming to obtain the 11x Option 40 when I eventually meet with a recruiter. I understand that specific contract is in high demand, but I have the benefit of time on my side and won't have a problem playing the waiting game if I have to. I am anxious for my allergy test, but since it is months away I am just focusing on what I can control until then: improving my PT and studying the Ranger Regiment.

I am less than a month away from moving into school now. I only live about 45 minutes away and will have access to my car on campus so I can work on weekends. Luckily being a student gives me full access to the school gym, swimming pool, and track so I can continue a strict regimen of training.

Ry
68W OPT 40
Ship Date 19 NOV 2019
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Sounds like you are set up nicely. To help track progress we like to see folks post new APFT scores every few weeks. Did you do a full test recently or just timed pushups? Of not aim to do one in the near term with pull ups if you have access. Your scores, other than your pushups, are solid this early. Don't lose focus on your other areas.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
rysilver55
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by rysilver55 »

Roger, Ranger Disinfertention. I will self-administer an APFT with pull-ups this Saturday and update the thread with my results.

Ry
68W OPT 40
Ship Date 19 NOV 2019
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Looking forward to it!

What classes do you plan to take? I can only really do 1 at a time based on working... currently in Business Law. What a thrill...
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
rysilver55
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by rysilver55 »

2018-08-11 APFT w/Pull-ups Results:
Push-Ups: 54
Sit-Ups: 74
2 Mile Run: 12:46
Pull-Ups (pronated grip): 14

My push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups have been steadily improving since I initially tested them in June. I can complete 17 chin-ups (supinated grip), but figured I would test pull-ups since it is the more difficult of the two movements. Although my run time is not as fast as when I initially tested, I understand why. I dropped my run time to its fastest by doing interval sprints and repeaters on the track in May and June. Currently, I am doing more steady state running for longer amounts of time at a sustained pace to increase my cardiovascular capacity. I am aiming to build up my cardio base as much as possible, and then later on start cycling in intervals again to inject more speed.
I am looking forward to seeing more consistent improvements in my scores as I continue to train.

Ranger Disinfertention, I will be taking five courses during my first semester. All freshmen at my school are required to take an English class and a psychology class. For my major I am taking a biology class and an introductory level exercise science class. Additionally, I have to take one elective course; I ended up getting stuck with a mythology class. I am not sure what relevance that has to the real world, let alone my major, but it should be an interesting course. Perhaps not as interesting as Business Law, however. That sounds like a very demanding course, but also very engaging and practical. Personally, I am most interested in science, but I have friends who are focusing in business and law and they really seem to be getting a lot out of their courses. Best of luck with your class!

Thanks,

Ry
68W OPT 40
Ship Date 19 NOV 2019
rysilver55
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by rysilver55 »

Rangers,

I apologize for my inactivity on the forum as of late, and figured I should post an update. I currently have less than a month left in the fall semester of college, and have being done well and really enjoying my major, exercise physiology. Additionally, I finally concluded my allergy testing for penicillin last week, and the test results determined that I no longer have the allergy. With winter break approaching, I am planning to schedule an appointment with a recruiter in December or January. I am still deciding on whether I should aim to obtain a 68w or 11x option 40, and will try to come to a conclusion soon.
As far as physical training, I have been exercising diligently 6 times per week for the past few months. I am on the last week of the current block of my periodization, and will be re-testing my APFT next week.
68W OPT 40
Ship Date 19 NOV 2019
rysilver55
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by rysilver55 »

I noticed a typing error in my post above; knocking out 50+1 for my lack of attention to detail.
68W OPT 40
Ship Date 19 NOV 2019

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”