Introduction - Thomas

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Mufasa40220
Egg

Introduction - Thomas

Post by Mufasa40220 »

Hello, my name is Thomas, I have multiple associates degrees and am currently working as a TN Paramedic for a 911 primary service with 5 years of civilian EMS experience (all 5 years has been with 911 primary services).

I have recently talked my wife into considering the military as an option. She is considering it for stability and retirement options. I want to enlist as a 68w option 40 to be the best medic that I can be. The biggest hold-up is on her part with the training, I read Ranger Bloody_Limey’s very informative post about SOCM and told my wife that the whole process would take approximately 24 months to be assigned to my first duty station. At the present moment, she is still considering this option in our lives but is hesitant about not being able to sleep in the same bed or at least see me somewhat regularly (i.e. on the weekends after RASP) for two years. She has conveyed to me that she thinks she could handle about 18 months of being separated while I’m training, but she doesn’t think that she can quite handle 24 months of being separated continuously. I have scoured the internet looking for the answer, but I just can’t find that answer to give her. I would be very grateful and appreciative if any of you gentlemen could assist me with this information.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Introduction - Thomas

Post by Disinfertention »

Hey Thomas,

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com. It's good that you found us.

I am going to PM a response to your questions. There are probably guys around that are better to answer it but I will at least give you what I know.

Being in the military is obviously a unique experience.. and one that can be hard on families. Even ones that are fully accustomed to it. It is not an easy choice to sign up even when it is just you. Put someone else or children into the mix and it takes a whole new face. Best of luck to you in getting it sorted. Maybe one of our medic folks hanging around can chime in on the process.

Physical fitness is usually an easy thing for people to work on prior to joining the military. Do you get much of an opportunity to exercise working the hours of a EMT? (that I assume are long).
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Mufasa40220
Egg

Post by Mufasa40220 »

Thank you for your reply Ranger Disinfertention, my wife and I just spoke with a recruiter today and she says that she’s all for it now (the majority of her concerns have been taken care of).

Currently I am working 24 hour shifts, we work on a 9 day rotation, work on days 1, 3, and 5, and off on days 2, 4, and 6-9. We work approximately 10 days a month, but while on shift we might get to sleep or we might go the entire 24 hours without sleep. It’s only sleep, nobody rests at the station. That being said, if you want it, you’ll make time for it, which is what I plan to do.

I would greatly appreciate any pointers on working out.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Thomas.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”