Introduction-Joshua

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

AsianInvasion
Egg

Introduction-Joshua

Post by AsianInvasion »

Hello all. My name is Joshua and I am 21 years old. I have graduated high school, and am currently trying to get my bachelors in biological anthropology at the University of California, Santa Barbara. I am a junior who will hopefully graduate a quarter early to accelerate my time table.

I have a large interest in trauma medicine and pharmacology, and would like to enlist under a 68W with option 40. I feel as if the opportunities in becoming a Ranger medic are unparalleled, and I have focused my efforts immensely to better prepare myself. This mostly pertains to the physical aspects of my lifestyle. From my brief time on this forum, I am already grateful for the amount and depth of information present. I am also looking forward to interacting with all of the members in a positive and productive manner. I am not in the Delayed Entry Program currently.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Introduction-Joshua

Post by Disinfertention »

Really interesting post Joshua... It's late here for me, so I will be candid and follow up after...

Why are you not going after the officer route? I get the concept for Ranger, I did it for a long time, twice. So what's the draw to enlisted and not officer?

Really glad to have you here. This site is very well suited for those who want to be members of the 75th Ranger Regiment. Please use the search button and your favorite search engine before you post a question - an informed duplicate question is way better than just the same thing twice over.

Have you spoke to a recruiter yet about your options? Someone in school, planning to graduate, you may have a couple.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
AsianInvasion
Egg

Post by AsianInvasion »

Ranger Disinfertention thank you for the warm welcome. I will take advantage of the resources available and will encourage a close friend to join.

To answer your first question, I would say my primary reason to enlist as opposed to taking the officer route lies in the skills I want to gain. As I understand it, Ranger medics obtain advanced training and utilize their skills daily. The experience and knowledge accumulated as an enlisted Ranger medic is enticing and would bolster any future schooling endeavors. Becoming a Ranger medic is my priority and what I most strongly want to do. I also echo some of the sentiments in Veronica's introduction. Leadership without prior experience does not sit well with me.

I have spoken to a recruiter Ranger Disinfertention. I expressed what I wanted firmly- 68W with option 40. I have indicated that I would like to enter the Delayed Entry Program. At the moment, he seems apprehensive about the option 40, and says that there are no contracts available currently. I have less than 10 months left before my planned graduation date, and would like to square away this soonest.

My most recent self administered APFT scores are as follows
Push Ups-87
Sit Ups-84
Pull Ups-20
Unfortunately I am nursing an eversion sprain on my left ankle. This rules out any high-impact cardio in the near future. My two mile times prior to this injury were hovering around 14:10 average.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Good scores all around for your APFT. No doubt you will take care of yourself when it comes to your ankle.

It feels like it goes without saying, but never settle for anything less than what you are willing to accept on a contract. For most here that means their specific MOS and an OPT 40. Happens a lot where people come back with something short of that and then they have to fight for it. It's not worth risking.

I think you'll find it will be good to have the options once you get in. The ability to learn on the enlisted side and then maybe pursue the PA program will be great. Or whatever you will want to do. Already having a 4 year degree keeps a lot of stuff open to you when it comes to military service.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
AsianInvasion
Egg

Post by AsianInvasion »

Thank you for the reply Ranger Disinfertention. I don't have a lot of time on my hand, but I know I have a large enough window to not settle. I will look into the PA program that you stated. Having a degree does seem to open many opportunities.
I will post further updates when I have made progress on my contract. In the meantime, I'll keep reading and crushing classes to graduate early and lighten my senior year unit load.

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”