Introduction - Veronica

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Itsronni
Future Soldier

Introduction - Veronica

Post by Itsronni »

Hello Rangers, I've been lurking on this site for a few weeks now and finally decided to make an account.
My name is Veronica, I am 19 and finishing my second semester of community college May 14th. I live in New Jersey (I don't have the accent, though :P ), and recently enlisted into the Army reserves as a 68W. My ship date is 20180605.
My plan for my Army career is to finish up college while in the Reserves and then try to get into active duty, possibly as an Officer.
I am trying to be as prepared as possible before I ship out and this site has been helping tremendously. I would love to get Tabbed in the future when I go active, I know a few Ranger women have made it through Ranger School!
Thank you for your time and information, Rangers, and I look forward to absorbing all the knowledge I can before I ship.
68W in training
Graduation date: 14DEC2018
“We’re not killers, we’re not murderers, we take what must be taken.”
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Re: Introduction - Veronica

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Veronica.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Itsronni
Future Soldier

Post by Itsronni »

Thank you, Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV!
68W in training
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Hey Veronica,

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com! A lot of the information easily accessible to members is on how to reach Ranger Regiment but there is still some items about Ranger school and plenty of PT and military related info. If you have any questions please be sure to use the search feature here or elsewhere before posting a question.

If you plan to stay in the Reserves while you work on your degree make sure you understand their process to becoming an officer and what that means. It sounds like you have already done some research. Working as cadre at OCS for a few years I don't recall any Reserve military members being there.

Why have you decided to join the military now instead of doing ROTC at a school?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Itsronni
Future Soldier

Post by Itsronni »

Ranger Disinfertention, thank you for the welcome!
The reason i joined the Reserves now instead of waiting was honestly mostly to compromise with my family. I wanted to go Active right out of high school, but my step father who is prior service National Guard wanted me to get a degree first and go straight to Officer. I'm not really comfortable with being in a leadership position without experience first, so I didn't want to go straight in as an Officer, I wanted to get the enlisted experience. It was certainly a heart over brain decision, since I know getting my degree would have been the smartest thing to do, but I was just so sick of not being a soldier. :P
The OCS route is still something I'm debating. The pay is amazing, but I don't know if I even want to ever be in more of a background, paperwork leader position. I like being more hands-on. Still, that might change in the upcoming years. If I do decide 100% to go Officer, I will probably try to go Green-to-Gold. I believe you can do ROTC at the same time, too, but I might be wrong on that. The closest ROTC to me is Rutgers University, which isn't too bad of a drive.
68W in training
Itsronni
Future Soldier

Post by Itsronni »

Thank you, Ranger Lunch!
68W in training
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

No matter what profession you choose in the military, there will always be times when you do work behind the scenes or paperwork related items. More so as an officer. There are very few jobs that you can stay away from that type of work for long periods of time.

From a strictly career stand point, your Step Father is not wrong at all. I always ask anyone who comes here and mentions college if they have looked at becoming an Officer. There are pros and cons to each side of the military. It's up to you to make sure you understand what you are getting into or what you want to do. Sounds like you've thought it out a fair amount so far. Always consider your options though...you have plenty of time still.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Itsronni
Future Soldier

Post by Itsronni »

Roger Ranger Disinfertention.
I figured that I’d be doing some paperwork sometime or other. I don’t mind some of it, I work in an office so I’m pretty used to it by now. Sometimes I actually enjoy it because it gets me off my feet for awhile. I certainly prefer being hands-on and involved, however.
I’ll definitely continue looking at the Officer route regardless. Right now I want to be highspeed and do all of the cool stuff, but I realize that might change over the years.

In the meantime, I start drilling tomorrow and I’m pretty excited! My unit’s taking the APFT. I’m hoping I pass so I can get promoted before I ship. The pushups will be a breeze, since females only have to do 20, and I know as long as I push myself on the run I’ll be golden. Situps might get me, though. If I am a little shy of passing on this one, my recruiter will give me one in three weeks, which I’ll definitely pass since I’ll know what I need to work on.
68W in training
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

PT is the top thing for everyone here to work on. Please post your results here.

Never be satisfied. Let us know how it goes and never, never quit.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Itsronni
Future Soldier

Post by Itsronni »

Roger Ranger Disinfertention.
68W in training
Itsronni
Future Soldier

Post by Itsronni »

Rangers,
It turns out I take the APFT tomorrow, so I will post the results then. Drill was fun today, got to meet my unit and help out a little. I got a pretty bad blister on my right ankle though which I’m hoping won’t affect my run score too much.
68W in training
Itsronni
Future Soldier

Post by Itsronni »

Rangers,
I passed my PT test! Hopefully that means I’ll be making PFC before I ship.
PU: 54
SU: 64
RUN: 17:34
Total was 254.
68W in training
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Itsronni wrote: May 6th, 2018, 6:44 pm Rangers,
I passed my PT test! Hopefully that means I’ll be making PFC before I ship.
PU: 54
SU: 64
RUN: 17:34
Total was 254.
Really great scores. I'd say your top area to improve would be your run time. Not sure how much of a runner you are but you'll definitely want to improve it with a goal of going to Ranger school. Excellent start though.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”