Introduction

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

nrsmit1
Egg

Introduction

Post by nrsmit1 »

Hi my name is Nolan and I am an eighteen year old high school senior. I dual enroll at a local community college to get my 24 credit hours.

I am currently working to get an 11xOpt40 contract from my recruiter, I have taken the ASVAB and scored well enough to qualify for the job. I am under a time crunch however, my girlfriend and I are expecting a baby in June, and i graduate in late May. My recruiter has informed me that
1. I am ineligible to enlist as active duty if I am a single parent, unless I give up full custody of my child or get married to my girlfriend.
2. 11xOpt40 contracts are "impossible" to come by for high school seniors.
3. There are no 11x contracts even without the Opt40 available at the moment.

75RR is something I've wanted to achieve for as long as I could remember, and it is my understanding the Opt40 contract is the best way to have an opportunity to get to selection. My recruiter is trying to get me to change my mind and take a combat engineer slot or admin position but I've done my research and know my chances are slim to none. I turned down a slot to go to UNG for the Corps of Cadets and commission as an officer upon graduation to pursue my goal of getting to the regiment as an infantryman.

I found out about this forum through researching my options and i figured this is the best place to go for information and help from the guys that have been there. Looking forward to meeting you all, and I will appreciate all advice or wisdom i gain from this forum.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Introduction

Post by Disinfertention »

Hey Nolan, welcome to ArmyRanger.com!

It's good to have you here. That's a lot of schooling, so make sure you stay on top of that. Ensure you also read the FAQs and Stickies, particularly the ones in the Introduction forum. Please follow our rules - typos are ok but lack of attention to detail in your post for spelling, puncuation, and grammar is not. No one is perfect, just strive to be better.

To your points.
1. Should be true. I am not an expert in this field but I have heard of this.
2. 100% false. Why would high school seniors be unable to get an OPT 40?
3. Maybe true but more are generally available come summer when school graduation happens. The key is to WAIT for what YOU WANT. It is your career so get what you want out of it. Sounds like you get that.

I know time is not on your side but you have to balance and weigh your decisions carefully. If you want to be a Ranger, waiting for an OPT40 is your top chance at doing that. If you want to get married, do that, but don't do it because you are having a child or to try and help your career... that's my opinion so don't hold that too high.

Please keep us updated. If you have any questions, try to arm yourself with information from this site, the search feature is pretty awesome, or even try the Google machine. We're here to help, not spoon feed.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”