My Introduction - Larpey

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

larpey
Egg

My Introduction - Larpey

Post by larpey »

Hello Rangers, my name is Luke, I am 18 years old a junior in high school and I want to be a U.S. Army Ranger. I'm currently in a position of finding my path to achieving my dream of becoming an Army Ranger. I want to go to college and get a degree, but I don't know how myself going to college and getting an option 40 contract would work. Should I do ROTC, should I not, I'm here to find out the best path to take that would benefit me the most. I have read many posts on this website to get information or answer questions that I have had in the past, but I haven't made an account introduction until today. I suppose I finally decided to make one so that I can one day hopefully be apart of this community. Since before I could remember I have liked to think of myself as a caring, helpful individual who would do his best to assist others under any circumstances may that be taking a punch for someone or helping a friend with homework. I like to think I would lay down my life for another if the situation presented itself. With these ideologies I believe it has pushed me toward the belief that it is my obligation or duty to give back to those who have given up their lives and risk their lives to give me the ability to live freely. I hope I can obtain as much information as possible about being an Army Ranger and would like to thank you for taking to time to read my post.

Sincerely,
Luke (Larpey)
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: My Introduction - Larpey

Post by Disinfertention »

Hey Luke,

Welcome to the site. Sounds like you've cruised around here for a bit so you can see there is a lot of information to get through. When it comes to enlisting or going to college, that is totally on you. There are pros and cons to each choice but one thing that I will never tell someone to avoid is education. Just know that you can do it for free if you manage your time correctly while you serve in the military. Even at a fast moving organization such as the 75th.

I've known numerous people who did 1-4 years of college before they joined. While I was at OCS I met one individual with a Phd. So it really is an individual choice and career as far as that stuff goes. If you hope to serve as an officer or even as a warrant some day you may consider doing school or some school first, especially if you have the opportunity to through grants or scholarships. Doing ROTC is not a bad choice as far as I know just make sure you don't commit to something if you want to enlist.

I'd recommend you speak to a recruiter, either way. You know you want to end up there at some point so might as well get the information from a decent source. Once you have it, come fact check it with us or use a search engine you like to make sure they are giving you good information. Just know it is their job to make you want to enlist in one form or another. They can arm you with information that I might not be privy to though.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
larpey
Egg

Response to Ranger Disinfertention

Post by larpey »

Ranger Disinfertention, thank you for the response! I am fortunate enough for my parents to be able to help me pay for college, so money management is luckily not on my top list of worries. What I’m getting from your response is that it is best to consult a recruiter with my questions stated in my introduction then fact check, I’ll get on it ASAP. Thank you for the advice and for your service. :)
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Appreciate that, Luke.

Keep us informed - especially when you get a chance to sit down and chat with a recruiter.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
larpey
Egg

Post by larpey »

Of course Ranger Disinfertention It's the least I could do and I will do my best to keep ya'll informed.

Untill next time,
- Luke (larpey)

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”