Introduction- Kaleb

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Kake
Embryo

Re: Introduction- Kaleb

Post by Kake »

Roger Ranger Disinfertention, I will live by that and will also continue to improve upon my weaknesses.

Last week Monday I went to see a different doctor and this one was much more helpful. He explained more about Hoffa's disease/syndrome, analyzed my alignment, and used kinesio tape on my knee. The pain has been very minimal and sporadic so he said that if I wanted to I could run a little bit and see how my knee felt as long as I iced afterwards. Later that day I did a 1 mile run in 7 minutes and my knee felt fine afterwards. It definitely took more effort to run that pace than it did 9 months ago before the injury but all things considered it was still a fairly easy run. A few days after my knee did hurt a little bit, most likely from the activities I did throughout the day, but it went away relatively quickly. I waited until this most recent Monday and ran another mile without any pain or issues. At this time I am really happy with how things are progressing but I still have to be cautious. Honestly, I just want to run a few miles every day but I will play it smart this time and plan on just running one mile a few times a week while continuing to recover. After I am able to work my way up to higher mileage without problems I will start to incorporate lower body lifting into my workouts again.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Sounds like a good plan Kaleb. Make sure you let us know how it is going for you as you ease back into running and lower body workouts.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Kake
Embryo

Post by Kake »

17 Pull-ups
72 Push-ups
85 Sit-ups

2 mile run 14:15 (Ran this 4 days before the self administered fitness test)

This was my first two mile run in 9 months, definitely have lost a lot of endurance. I did not run it at a maximal effort because I am still taking it easy on my knee but breaking 14 right now would be difficult. Overall my knee seems to be doing better, it still hurts at times but I notice it less frequently after exercise, although for now I am avoiding lower body lifts with any real weight because they seem to aggravate it. Other than that, recovery is slow but I think I am seeing improvements.
I truthfully have not been visiting the site as frequently as I used to, I will definitely pick up on that again once school is over and I have more free time. In the mean time I will keep all of you updated and hop on once or twice a week to read through posts.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Great to hear from you Kaleb,

14:15 run time after not being able to run for quite awhile is an excellent start. Just take it easy, seems as though you have time. I reviewed your post and you haven't mentioned if you have spoken to a recruiter or not? I'm assuming you have a few more months of school left. What is your timeline/goals looking like?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Kake
Embryo

Post by Kake »

I first met with a recruiter January of 2017, so about a year ago, and had already been reading through this site at the time so we talked about an 11X option 40. I will not be signing until I graduate, which I am set do do this upcoming May. I kept in contact with them for a while but ultimately this website has proved to be a much better resource for all of the questions I have had. As far as I could tell, they did not lie to me but they definitely didn't mention that RASP would be anything close to challenging. I will communicate with the recruiters again as I get closer to graduation and then hope to actually sign once I am fully recovered and a contract is available; not sure how long that will take.

As far as goals go most of them are physical performance based. I want to start off with a sub 13 two mile and then also work to be able to get a 300 on the APFT at any given time even if tired from previous workouts. During the mean time I plan on going hiking more once I am able to and eventually rucking. I also will continue to lift weights and add in more core workouts. I bought an ASVAB study book and the goal is to work through a majority of it so that I can get a high score. Other than that, I will glean more information from this site as I browse through it. Any recommendations are appreciated but like you Rangers have said countless times... the information is out there, you just have to search for it.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

I'd recommend that if you are locked in to graduate then check in again with a recruiter and look at lining up an OPT 40. It sounds like the next batch will become available in June/July but who knows. If you have some kind of final in May and want to ensure no snags there maybe wait then, up to you... Just a thought.

PT goals sound good. I would say rucking was my top deficiency after coming into the military simply because I had never done it before.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”