Introduction - Matthew

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Carpenter
Ranger

Introduction - Matthew

Post by Carpenter »

Hi, my name is Matthew, I'm 16 years old, and I'm from Delaware. I'm a Junior in High School and I'm currently in a NJROTC program at my school and a part of another Navy program, the United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps. I'm also in the Boy Scouts of America and will obtain the rank of Eagle Scout by the end of 2018. I plan on enlisting the Military with a 11X Opt. 40 contract and I'm looking forward to improving myself physically and mentally in order to reach my goal of becoming an Army Ranger.

I learned of this site from my twin brother Robert and I plan on utilizing it to the best of my ability. We plan on training together and to push each other to our limits.

PFT scores will be recorded and uploaded within 72 hours.

I'm looking forward to being apart of this site and learning more about what it takes to become an Army Ranger.
2/75
RASP 05-21
RS 02-23
"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Matthew

Post by Jim »

Welcome Matthew, If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you're at the right site. We at ArmyRanger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Please tell us more about yourself. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top left of this page in the Quick Links. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. We have a set of twins that just completed RASP; the Sullivan brothers. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Matthew.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Carpenter
Ranger

Post by Carpenter »

Roger Ranger Jim, and Ranger Charlie,

I've lurked the forums and have read both accounts from the Sullivan brothers, as well as countless others. This site has such an extensive amount of information. I look forward to memorizing the Ranger Creed and living by it daily. Tomorrow I will drive out to the local high school with my brother and complete a full PFT. I'm looking forward to obtaining the goal of a 300 by the time my preparations are complete. I'm also very much looking forward to reading up on more of the forums, it's a treasure trove of information that I'm dying to tear apart.

Looking forward to my next update.
2/75
RASP 05-21
RS 02-23
Carpenter
Ranger

Post by Carpenter »

Rangers,

I've completed the PFT with my brother. Here are my current results as of 9/15/17.

PU - 77
SU - 111
Pull-Ups - 6
2 Mile Run - 12:29

Currently on a camping trip I'll be checking in occasionally. Looking forward to improving myself and to future updates.
2/75
RASP 05-21
RS 02-23
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Matthew, Give yourself at least two weeks between AFPT. Any less and you will find that you waste your time and do not capture your progress.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Carpenter wrote: September 14th, 2017, 1:20 pm Roger Ranger Jim, and <strong>Ranger Charlie,</strong>
Wtf is this? That's not his screen name. First assignment is to research it and explain yourself, do it in under 250 words. Then do push ups.

Good intro, don't get lazy on your 2d or 3rd post.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Carpenter
Ranger

Post by Carpenter »

Roger Ranger Cams, my apologizes Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV,

The screen name refers to 'Charlie Rangers' of Company C of the 75th Ranger Regiment, while the 1FF refers to the First Field Force. The V I couldn't find information on, but I can assume refers to Vietnam.

On February 1st, 1969, Company C (Ranger), 75th Infantry, was activated by incorporating the Company E "Typhoon Patrollers" into the outfit. The rangers were known as "Charlie Rangers" in conformity with C in the phonetic alphabet.

The Rangers operated in reconnaissance settings that contained vast wilderness operational areas. The company operated in eight day operational cycles and used every ninth day for "recurring refresher training.". The teams rehearsed patrolling techniques varying from night ambush to boat infiltration. Proficiency flourished under these conditions, and MACV expressed extreme satisfaction with Company C's results.

For the explanation onto why I called Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV, 'Ranger Charlie' was because I was ignorant of the screen name. I had thought that 'Charlie' was his first name or nickname and didn't think that it would have looked right to have called him 'CharlieRanger1FFV'. I now know that I was wrong and know the meaning of the screen name.

My ignorance has shown and I hope that you see that my intentions were not to cause any means insult. I have an utmost respect for all Rangers and Veterans, I hope you can accept my apology and that this mistake won't happen twice.
2/75
RASP 05-21
RS 02-23
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Good recovery young man. Learn something new every day around here.

Make sure to pay attention to details, even the small ones can make or break a mission.

Carry on and do good things.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Matthew, it has been nearly three months since you posted. Please update us. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Carpenter
Ranger

Post by Carpenter »

Rangers,

My apologizes for the long overdue update. From my brother Robert's updates I can assure you that we have been keeping up with our PT and research, but from now on I will post updates individually from his so that it doesn't seem like I've made zero improvements. I will post more frequently from now on. I will perform 100 push-ups + 1 for the Ranger in the sky for that.

Rangers, I now know two people who will be attending upcoming Ranger School and both will likely drop on arrival because they did not prepare accordingly. Of the two neither can complete a passing APFT. I talked with each of them briefly, and ultimately I don't think they know what they are getting themselves into. I'm keeping them in my back pocket as a reminder that I've got to be better than them and that I've always got to keep improving.

Aside from that my brother and I are constantly going to the gym and trying to better ourselves for the future.

Rangers, I will keep you updated.
Carpenter
Ranger

Post by Carpenter »

Rangers,

Once again I find myself apologizing, this time for a typo above. They are attending RASP, not Ranger School. If I remember correctly both of their ship dates are in July. Pushing 50 + 1 for the Ranger in the sky for the typo.
2/75
RASP 05-21
RS 02-23
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Matthew, thanks for updating us. Please continue to do so even if your brother is here as well! :)

They must have passed an APFT to get into jump school unless they changed that one. Why do you think they will do so poorly? Are they members of this site?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Carpenter
Ranger

Post by Carpenter »

Unfortunately they are not members of this site Ranger Disinfertention.

I know one of them from Sea Cadets I did ask him to join the site but it seems he never did. He apparently wasn't making it in PT an even turned down an offer for a mentorship from a Marine who was going out for MARSOC. From what it seems it is that he was contempt on the bare minimum and didn't think he needed to improve himself. The other who was an old friend from school. He has made bad decisions within the last year including getting into drugs and getting a large tattoo across his chest. I cut ties with him originally because he had a problem with constantly lying to people. When he reached out to contact me he said his 2 mile time was a 13:10 around a track course and he wouldn't tell me the rest of his scores. He also didn't know what the contract he signed for was and had to ask his recruiter. I got the vibe from him that he was only in it for the title.
2/75
RASP 05-21
RS 02-23
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Well sounds like you know the people to stay away from, generally. Although I wouldn't really toss tattoo in there as a disqualifier for folks. I'm not a big fan myself but lots of folks have them!
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”