Introduction - Matthew

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Introduction - Matthew

Post by Disinfertention »

Hey Matthew, sounds like fun. Being at the range is always a good day. How's the wrist?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Carpenter
Ranger

Post by Carpenter »

Ranger Disinfertention,

The wrist is healing well, I would say that it is almost fully healed. It has not stopped me from working out and doing push-ups though. For some odd reason it would only hurt if I bent it at a sharp angle such as trying to touch my fingers straight down to my wrist. As of now any pain I had felt before is essentially all gone and there is only slight discomfort when trying to make a sharp fingers to wrist movement. I think it is safe to say that it isn't hindering me in working out at all and I can still do pull-ups without any form of discomfort.

By the looks of things I will be spending my Super Bowl weekend rucking and going to the gym.

Looking forward to future updates.
2/75
RASP 05-21
RS 02-23
"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Good update on it. As many top doctors would tell you...if it hurts to bend it all the way back like that, don't do it!
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Carpenter
Ranger

Post by Carpenter »

Rangers,

A few weeks ago I took the ASVAB test as my school. I have received the results back and I am proud to say that I received a 76.

Lately I've been busy with Sea Cadet work and going to the gym, but the grind never stops. We've had a few instances of snow in Delaware lately, the snow is my favorite weather to ruck in. I ended up donating my ALICE pack to Jack, and my brother and I both use the MOLLE II packs. Together we rucked for about 8 miles, by the time we got back to our starting point we had about 3 inches of snow on our packs. Currently our packs weigh just over 50 pounds each.

Looking forwards to future updates.
2/75
RASP 05-21
RS 02-23
Carpenter
Ranger

Post by Carpenter »

Rangers,

For the misspelling of 'forward' in the previous post I will be doing 100+1 push-ups.

My apology.
2/75
RASP 05-21
RS 02-23
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Recognizing a mistake is great attribute. Don't be so hard on yourself. I have the luxury of editing my posts in here because..you know, Admin reasons... haha! But, yes, push ups are great!

Thanks for the update. Great scores on the ASVAB. You should qualify for about anything you want with that.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Carpenter
Ranger

Post by Carpenter »

Rangers,

It has become the usual that anytime it snows you can bet we are out there rucking. Today my Brother, Jack, and I completed a 7 mile ruck. It is always enjoyable cutting a path through the snow for other people to use. Jack seems to have adjusted well to the ALICE pack and both of the MOLLE II packs have been working fantastically.

My brother and I have been going to the gym nearly everyday and I know that my scores have improved. Whenever we get a chance we do a joint workout with Jack, our schedules don't align since we all go to different schools, but we make it work when we can.

I had a guidance counselor who always made us repeat a quote of his that ended up sticking to me "The biggest room is the room for improvement.". I think of it whenever I'm doing something difficult or challenging to kind of cheer me on.

2/75
RASP 05-21
RS 02-23
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Pretty decent quote, Matthew. I'll try to remember that one myself. One thing you won't catch me doing is rucking in the snow but it's good you guys enjoy that!
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Carpenter
Ranger

Post by Carpenter »

Roger Ranger Disinfertention.
2/75
RASP 05-21
RS 02-23
Carpenter
Ranger

Post by Carpenter »

Rangers,

The DEP's have been very open-armed with my Brother and I, they've invited us to a group chat where we talk about improving our scores and form during PT. We've also had voice chats with them over Discord where they've asked us questions about ourselves and why we want to be a Ranger. Both my Brother and I are very thankful, and we are both very fortunate to have been allowed within their group.

It has been long overdue for an updated APFT to be posted. I've improved form on both my push-ups and sit-ups. Time spent in the gym and rucking has paid off.
Below are my new scores:

Push-Ups: 80
Sit-Ups: 78
2 Mile Time: 11:34
Pull-Ups: 15

I am very glad that my hard-work has paid off. Extended scale APFT score: 323/300.

My next goal is to get below 11 minutes and reach 100 push-ups in two minutes. It's a long stretch but I know I can achieve it if I keep working at it.

2/75
RASP 05-21
RS 02-23
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Another good update, Matthew. Thanks for checking in. Be very careful not to sacrifice correct form for total numbers on your pushups. Great scores all around though.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Carpenter
Ranger

Post by Carpenter »

Roger Ranger Disinfertention.
2/75
RASP 05-21
RS 02-23
Carpenter
Ranger

Post by Carpenter »

Rangers,

Yesterday my Brother and I visited the Recruiting Office to start talking to Recruiters. When I arrived there were 4 Recruiters in the office, 3 of them I had already talked to in the past as one point or another. However one I had never seen before, and I have decided will be my primary source when enlisting. The Sergeant First Class made very good impressions on us, because she knew what we wanted the second we mentioned what contract we were after. I don't think the other Recruiters liked that we we wanted Opt. 40's, I knew at least one who was from the 82nd who kept trying to make us dodge getting the contract. He constantly kept barging into the conversation when we were talking to the SFC saying "I always tell each person who comes in here, the worst thing you can do is be dead set on a job you want.". Thankfully he went quite after we ignored him a couple of times.

The SFC is helping us set up an enlistment packet for after we graduate High School, and I felt that she was actually interested in getting us the contract we wanted. The Recruiters have invited us to start doing FST (Future Soldier Training) with them every Thursday and I'm excited. This Thursday it is cancelled, but I can't wait to start the next step.

2/75
RASP 05-21
RS 02-23
Carpenter
Ranger

Post by Carpenter »

Rangers,

For the misspelling of 'at' in the previous post I will be doing 100+1 push-ups.

My apology.
2/75
RASP 05-21
RS 02-23
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Carpenter wrote: April 11th, 2018, 8:33 pm Rangers,

Yesterday my Brother and I visited the Recruiting Office to start talking to Recruiters. When I arrived there were 4 Recruiters in the office, 3 of them I had already talked to in the past as one point or another. However one I had never seen before, and I have decided will be my primary source when enlisting. The Sergeant First Class made very good impressions on us, because she knew what we wanted the second we mentioned what contract we were after. I don't think the other Recruiters liked that we we wanted Opt. 40's, I knew at least one who was from the 82nd who kept trying to make us dodge getting the contract. He constantly kept barging into the conversation when we were talking to the SFC saying "I always tell each person who comes in here, the worst thing you can do is be dead set on a job you want.". Thankfully he went quite after we ignored him a couple of times.

The SFC is helping us set up an enlistment packet for after we graduate High School, and I felt that she was actually interested in getting us the contract we wanted. The Recruiters have invited us to start doing FST (Future Soldier Training) with them every Thursday and I'm excited. This Thursday it is cancelled, but I can't wait to start the next step.

Hey Matthew,

It's fun to see updates from the two of you. I happened to read Robert's first for whatever reason. It will be challenging getting the contract and job you want but that's the price the Army needs to pay to get solid recruits that have goals and ambition. You are the product and you are selling yourself to the Army. Once you sign that contract, you are now a commodity to be bought and sold inside the Army as it sees fit. Maybe a dramatic example but the point is you have control right now until you sign that contract. Get what you want. Do not compromise unless it is a very deliberate and thought out process. Really, don't come off what you want. It will happen.

Like I mentioned to Robert, I am interested in hearing what this FST thing is about. Let me know how it goes :lol:
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”