Introduction - Jeff

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

jj5
Embryo

Introduction - Jeff

Post by jj5 »

Hello everyone, I am 18 years old and a Senior in high school up in Seattle, WA. I've always wanted to join the military since the 5th grade. I found out about the 75th Ranger Regiment around 2 years ago by a friend. My friend who is a year older then me, enlisted with an 11x Opt. 40 contract and shipped out this past September. He is in Pre-RAS now and his RASP class will muster up this coming Monday. I've never really liked school and I've gotten into a few colleges but I made the decision that I want to enlist with an 11x Opt. 40 contract. I plan on contacting a recruiter soon and I won't be signing anything other than a 11x Opt. 40 contract. I've never wanted to be something so bad in my life, I know deep down inside my heart that I want to be a Ranger.

I have a pretty active life style. I played basketball up to my Junior year in high school but I stopped due to a knee injury and lack of interest in the sport. I am a good runner and my rucks have been improving. What I need to work on are my push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups. As of now I have a right knee issue that hurts me when I do squats and lunges, but my knee doesn't bother me at all when I run or ruck which is good. I am going to start physical therapy on my knee soon. My APFT Scores are below:

Push-ups(2min): 40
Sit-ups(2min): 50
Pull-ups(max effort, dead hang): 7
2-mile run: 13:23

My best 5-mile run time is 36:27

I am aware that my push-ups, pull-ups and sit-ups need a lot of improvement and those exercises will sure be my main PT focuses. I will continue to improve my running scores, eating a clean diet and keeping myself injury free. I also can recite the entire Ranger Creed without issues but I know it will be harder to recite in front of large crowds, so I will continue to work on that and actually living the creed. Should I see a recruiter as soon as possible or should I wait until I get my APFT to Ranger Standard?

I joined this site to receive guidance on my path to becoming a Ranger and everyones insight is truly appreciated. Thanks and RLTW!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Jeff

Post by Jim »

Welcome Jeff, If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you're at the right site. We at ArmyRanger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Please tell us more about yourself. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the quick links at the top of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. I see you have completed a PT Test; but you need to use your time to work on improving your scores. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Jeff.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
jj5
Embryo

Post by jj5 »

Ranger Jim, Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV, thanks for allowing me on the site. I look forward to learning from you guys and other Ranger Mentors. I will post an updated APFT every 2 weeks and I will continue to work hard.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Hey Jeff, lots of good advice over the site. If you get stuck, don't be afraid to ask. Just be prepared for the consequences :lol: ...

Try and have fun.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
jj5
Embryo

Post by jj5 »

Roger that, Ranger Disinfertention.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jeff, have you contacted an Army Recruiter? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Welcome to the site Jeff. You say you live in Seattle, what part (north, south, east, west or outlying city), not looking for an address on here. I live out in Kitsap County and I have a lot of jobs going all over Seattle and the King County area. You can PM me if you would like to have some questions answered in person, keep in mind the information I have about how things are done in training is 20 years old, but the way to make it through that training never changes. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
jj5
Embryo

Post by jj5 »

Jim wrote:Jeff, have you contacted an Army Recruiter? Never, never quit!
Ranger Jim,

I was meeting with an Army Recruiter recently but I put that on hold due to my knee. I want to get my knee completely healed then I am going to go back to a recruiter. I wanted to go to MEPS without anything bothering me and I don't want to bring up my knee to the MEPS staff also, so I thought it would be best to get my knee taken care of before I go back in. My doctor diagnosed me with patellofemoral syndrome in my right knee and I am currently doing physical therapy. The doc said it is treatable with PT so I'm hoping therapy works so I can get back to a recruiter ASAP.
jj5
Embryo

Post by jj5 »

rangerjd wrote:Welcome to the site Jeff. You say you live in Seattle, what part (north, south, east, west or outlying city), not looking for an address on here. I live out in Kitsap County and I have a lot of jobs going all over Seattle and the King County area. You can PM me if you would like to have some questions answered in person, keep in mind the information I have about how things are done in training is 20 years old, but the way to make it through that training never changes. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit. RLTW
Roger Rangerjd,

I live in Kitsap County as well. I go to high school in Seattle so I'm in that area a lot. Thanks for reaching out.
jj5
Embryo

Post by jj5 »

Rangers,

PT Update 20170402:

Push-ups: 45
Sit-ups:45
2-mile run:14:58
Pull-ups:9

All my scores were absolutely terrible today. I am nowhere close where I need to be. I still need to keep working at it and I noticed my push-ups and pull-ups improved slightly. I've been doing the 12-week RASP Program and I start week 3 tommorow. The program is challenging and it's my responsibility to stay committed all the way to start seeing results. I felt very fatigued during my PT test. I think I should reschedule my PT tests so my body has adequate time to recover so I can perform at the best of my ability.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jeff, how are you progressing? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
jj5
Embryo

Post by jj5 »

Jim wrote:Jeff, how are you progressing? Never, never quit!
Ranger Jim,

I conducted a 6-mile road march yesterday and finished in 01:19:07 which I feel good about. I started talking to a recruiter again recently and he wants me to come in to his recruiting office. I told him about my knee issue and that I have one physical therapy session left. I told him I'm going to get my knee back to 100% before I go to MEPS. I think it's important that I enlist without any pain in my knee instead of enlisting with pain then having to pay the price for it later down the road. This injury has really tested my patience but it has also made me stronger mentally. Hopefully I'm on the mend because I'm very eager to secure an 11x Opt. 40 contract and to get this journey started.
jj5
Embryo

Post by jj5 »

Rangers,

PT Update 20170417:

Push ups: 46
Sit ups: 67
pull ups: 10

I'm only doing light impact cardio right now because of my knee so no run this week. I meet with my doctor again later this week. My knee is improving slightly but it is still pretty bad. I'm going to continue physical therapy. I've been doing swimming and the Jacob's Ladder machine at the gym for cardio. I was happy to see my sit-ups increase but I'm not satisfied. I still need major improvement in my pushups and pullups. Once my knee is healed I'm going to get my legs back into running and rucking shape. It's been difficult trying to stay positive through this roadblock but I'm going to keep driving on. I know staying positive and being disciplined is the only way to get through this injury.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jeff, please continue to heal and keep us updated on your enlistment process. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”