Introduction - Andrew

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

LionsDen
Ranger

Introduction - Andrew

Post by LionsDen »

Rangers,

I am a 17 year old male living just north of Indianapolis, Indiana. I am currently a senior in high school and set to graduate next May.

The main notable thing about my high school career is this final year of high school I chose to take Law Enforcement classes at a career center located at a neighboring high school. Each day, I leave halfway through the school day, go down to the career center, and learn about being a police officer. However, I mainly enjoy the class because of its rigid structure. We do push-ups for screw-ups, march in the halls, have uniform inspections, and do basic military things such as calling attention for the CO (our teacher) and obeying simple commands (right face, left face, about face, attention, parade rest, ect.)

I just arrived home from MEPS, having passed everything. I chose 35M with Option 40 as my contract, and ship 20170718.

I chose 35M because of the language capability part of my contract, which gives me the potential to learn a language in AIT based on my DLAB score. The language component, combined with a Top Secret DoD clearance and a Special Operations background, is something I hope gives me a leg up in a post-Army career in the CIA, should I choose to leave the Army after 4 years.

I chose the Ranger Regiment for several reasons. Mainly, I have spoken with a former Ranger several times. His enthusiasm for what he did, along with his sheer energy, skill, and dedication leads me to believe a career in the Ranger Regiment is something far greater than the regular Army could offer. Additionally, the insight he provided into what the Rangers stand for and do leads me to believe that a career with the Rangers is as exciting and rewarding as it gets.

I have since carried the Ranger handbook with me every day to school, memorized the Ranger Creed, and fallen for the idea of being among the most professional, dedicated Soldiers on the planet.

PT Scores (20161116):
Push-Up: 92
Sit-Up: 54
2-Mile: 13:17
Pull-Up: 18

5-Mile (20161106): 36:09
RASP Class 08-18
RS 03-19
MICO, MIB, 2018-2022
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Andrew

Post by Jim »

Andrew, If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you're at the right site. We at ArmyRanger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Please tell us more about yourself. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. I see you have completed a PT Test; but you need to use your time to work on improving your scores. Please read your e-mail. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
LionsDen
Ranger

Post by LionsDen »

Roger, Ranger Jim.

Including some additional background, I hold a part-time job at a grocery store near my house. I would provide the name, but with some minor effort you could track me to one specific location for several reasons, and find me at work, so I would prefer to refrain from naming the store. I work between 25-35 hours a week, averaging 32. My position is bagger/cashier/lot attendant, and I have held that position from the age of 15. It is my first job, and my only job. I have stayed long enough and worked hard enough to acquire positive references and several large personal purchases, courtesy of bonuses and wage raises.

My average day consists of academic classes, career center classes, 6 hour work shift OR attending church, where I am a youth leader, followed by either a workout or homework, depending on what is due the next day. Normally, this is homework. I work 8 hours each weekend day, followed by a 5-mile run every Saturday or Sunday and a gym visit the day I don't run (which was not completed last weekend due to a very, very large school project due Monday).

I love flashlights, and treasure my Fenix PD35 TAC. No particular reason, just something neat I love looking at.

I hope to use the upcoming Thanksgiving Break to jump-start my PT. Also, I have completed Silverback's Push-Up Improvement. Additionally, with permission, I would like to post continuing updates on my PT in "The Workout Thread" under the "About Army Physical Training" section.
RASP Class 08-18
RS 03-19
MICO, MIB, 2018-2022
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Why have you not checked your PM?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
LionsDen
Ranger

Post by LionsDen »

Ranger Jim,

I did 50 double-count for missing your PM, then read the PM and followed it. I apologize for the mistake, it will not happen again.
RASP Class 08-18
RS 03-19
MICO, MIB, 2018-2022
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

LionsDen wrote:Ranger Jim,
I did 50 double-count for missing your PM, then read the PM and followed it. I apologize for the mistake, it will not happen again.
Continue to work on your task-list and never. never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
LionsDen
Ranger

Post by LionsDen »

Roger, Ranger Jim.
I have also begun work on my online Future Soldier training.
RASP Class 08-18
RS 03-19
MICO, MIB, 2018-2022
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

LionsDen wrote:Roger, Ranger Jim.
I have also begun work on my online Future Soldier training.
Please post your PT results on this thread. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
LionsDen
Ranger

Post by LionsDen »

Jim wrote: Please post your PT results on this thread. Never, never quit!
Ranger Jim,
I already had run a 2 mile today, so I conducted the rest of the PT test real quick.

PT Test 20161125
2 mile - 13:01
Push up - 88
Sit up - 62
Pull up - 15
Score: 273/300

Progress: My main focus has been on core strength, which has been improving. I'm nowhere close to ready, but I have been improving.

I will have a 5 mile time tomorrow or Sunday. I have a lot to do, so I apologize in advance for not knowing when I will have it.
RASP Class 08-18
RS 03-19
MICO, MIB, 2018-2022
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Good intro, you sound like you're on the right path and have your thoughts together.

Keep studying and working on your PT, follow Ranger Jims advice and read everything you can here.

Conducting a proper PT test requires all aspects of that test to be done in sequence, which yours was not.

Do it again, in sequence and see how or if your scores change.

May not seem important to you right now but trust me when you're being graded by an NCO who has been doing it for a decade or two it will mean the difference between pass or fail. Ranger or WorldWide.

All depends how much you want that Scroll.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
LionsDen
Ranger

Post by LionsDen »

Roger, Ranger Cams.
I've been helping a friend move all day, and will be for the next couple hours. Next time I log on, it will be with a corrected APFT and my updated "Five Mentees Report Here" tasklist.
RASP Class 08-18
RS 03-19
MICO, MIB, 2018-2022
LionsDen
Ranger

Post by LionsDen »

cams wrote:Conducting a proper PT test requires all aspects of that test to be done in sequence, which yours was not.

Do it again, in sequence and see how or if your scores change.
Ranger cams, I re-scored the APFT as directed. I conducted the test first push ups, then sit ups, then 2 mile, then pull ups. I allowed no less than 10 minutes and no more than 20 minutes in-between each event.

PT Test + Pull ups 20161126
Push up - 93
Sit up - 60
2 Mile - 12:46
Pull up - 15
Score - 271/300

One notable thing is I ran my 2 mile on a track instead of on the trail I normally run it on. The trail is relatively flat, so I don't think it had a major impact on my 2 mile. Otherwise, my push up went up, perhaps because I was not tired from the 2 mile, and the 2 mile improved, perhaps because my body was warmed up from push ups and sit ups while I otherwise would have run it without warm-up. That's just my speculation, though. I still need large improvement on my sit up score.
RASP Class 08-18
RS 03-19
MICO, MIB, 2018-2022
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Very good, continue to use that sequence in all of your testing.

The two mile will be done on a flat, hard, paved surface, not on trails. Either on a measured track or use a vehicle to distance out a good solid 2mile loop from start to finish and run that. Make sure your measurements are accurate or you'll be cheating yourself.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
LionsDen
Ranger

Post by LionsDen »

cams wrote:Very good, continue to use that sequence in all of your testing.

The two mile will be done on a flat, hard, paved surface, not on trails. Either on a measured track or use a vehicle to distance out a good solid 2mile loop from start to finish and run that. Make sure your measurements are accurate or you'll be cheating yourself.
Roger, Ranger cams. I will start using a track for all of my PT tests. There is a middle school near my house, so I can use the track after school hours. 4 laps is a mile, so the measurements will be accurate.
RASP Class 08-18
RS 03-19
MICO, MIB, 2018-2022
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Andrew, as you are in contact with the other mentees. please remind everyone to work on their task-list as the holiday season approaches. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”