Introduction

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

J031
Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by J031 »

Roger, Ranger Lunch, and thank you.
11X Option 40
Ship date: 20170718

"Five Mentee Report Here" Thread member
J031
Ranger

Post by J031 »

Roger, Ranger xray.
11X Option 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Joel, Continue to work on your task-list. Never, never quit!
J031
Ranger

Post by J031 »

Ranger Jim, I already completed all of the tasks on my list, but I'm continuing to read the Ranger Handbook. I was thinking about ordering a Ranger Medic Handbook when I get the money to do so; even though I'm going in as infantry with Medical Training being one of the Ranger Regiment big five I need to know as much about it as possible. Reading that seemed to be a good start.

Ranger xray, in the future if I receive a post from y'all I will update on my progress. With that being said...

SITREP 20170501

As I mentioned in my last SITREP I got offered to go role play for a unit that was training relatively close to my hometown. It looked like I wouldn't get to go up any because of school, but with most of the exercises being at night I ended up being able to help out some. I don't want to disclose what SOF unit it was or where the training took place, but it was a great experience getting to see first hand how units of their caliber train. I was able to take part in a mock bank robbery while a simultaneous hit was being conducted elsewhere to capture two HVTs. Apparently bank robbing is a skill that can be put to use in insurgency/civil war type situations. A couple days later they had an exercise on an old airfield that sounded like it would be fun to help with, but I wasn't able to go that time.

My mentor from off the site was the one who set me up with the job offer. Though they didn't end up paying it was a hell of a lot of fun just to be part of it all. Also, I went over to his house to help him rebuild most of the fence in his backyard and after we finished up he gave me a Ranger history book from when he was in Regiment. It goes into a lot more detail on Ranger history than the couple pages at the front of the Ranger handbook do.

My weightlifting coach set up a meeting for me with an SF veteran of 18 years who now works for the ROTC program at a local university. I gathered questions from the rest of the mentees and I look forward to learning as much as I can from that meeting.

In the past couple weeks I haven't been training any more than the last year and a half, but I've developed tendinitis in my knees that doesn't seem to go away. I'll spend two days resting and everything will feel fine walking around and even just light jogging, but it seems like if I go on any sort of faster paced run my knees flare up pretty quickly. This doesn't stop me from running because I can just push through the pain when I need to, but it's an annoyance that I'd like to deal with now before I get seriously close to shipping. If any of y'all have had experience with runners knee I'd greatly appreciate any advice on how to heal up.

PT Update 20170501

Push-Ups: 81
Sit-Ups: 83
2-Mile Run: 12:06
Pull-ups: 16

My numbers are already improving following the decline I had after the flu. I don't know specifically what it was about having the flu that hurt my PT so much, but I've gotten back in my workout/running grove and I can tell. Fatigue is a bitch...so is not being able to workout for almost two weeks. Glad I'm back to working on improving those numbers daily.
11X Option 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Excellent SITREP, Joel. Please keep us updated on your progress. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
J031
Ranger

Post by J031 »

Ranger Jim,

This week I should finish up my future soldier online training. Also, as suggested by Ranger IntelToad, I got a copy of the land nav field manual that my stepdad "borrowed" from the base where he works. This should be an invaluable tool to prepare for land nav in OSUT and RASP. My stepdad also grabbed a couple old copies of the warrior skills level one book, and the soldiers blue book which I already had but having another copy doesn't hurt. I'm taking a PT test again Wednesday, which I will use for my PT Update on the 15th. The only PT my recruiting office offers to future soldiers is a graded PT test every Wednesday, but after talking to LionsDen and Belman I found out that their recruiting centers actually PT future soldiers. A bit disappointing for sure, but this is just another example of people everywhere, even in the army, who just do the bare minimum to get by and nothing else. These are the types of people Rangers on this forum constantly warn us to not associate with during any part of the training pipeline. Also went by the recruiting office to set up a day to take the OPAT and that should be in the next two weeks. In terms of pre-ship paperwork all I have left to do is fill out my direct deposit form.
11X Option 40

IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Good stuff and I'm working out how to work in some map training for you and the other DEPS. Stay tuned.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
J031
Ranger

Post by J031 »

Roger, Ranger IntelToad.
11X Option 40

J031
Ranger

Post by J031 »

SITREP 20170515

Yesterday Ranger IntelToad's map reading and land nave class began with assigned reading from the land nav field manual. I'm very excited about this class because I feel this is an extremely crucial skill to have as a Ranger. Today I officially took the last high school class of my life...thank god. I'll continue to go into school at 0800 every morning to workout with the football team, but the grades I have in right now are finalized. My class graduates on the 24th and I couldn't be happier to get out of South Carolina's public education system. It's still looking like my OPAT will be next week. Not much else to add right now, but if something comes up I'll give y'all an update.

PT Update 20170515

Push-Ups: 82
Sit-Ups: 84
2-Mile Run: 11:34
Pull-Ups: 17
11X Option 40

Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Joel - Congratulations on being done with 'mandatory' school. Start thinking about how you will achieve your undergraduate and graduate degrees as you pursue a career in the military!

Don't screw it up in the final few days!
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
J031
Ranger

Post by J031 »

Roger, Ranger Disinfertention.

I have been thinking about that somewhat. The citadel offers an online degree completion program where if you already have an associates degree you can finish your degree online with them and get a bachelors in criminal justice or business administration. A degree from the citadel sets you up pretty well in SC, so I plan on taking advantage of that while I'm in.
11X Option 40

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”