Life as a Ranger

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Post Reply
HappyPeanut
Embryo
Posts: 8
Joined: November 6th, 2015, 9:55 am

Life as a Ranger

Post by HappyPeanut »

Hi guys,

I looked for some sort of introduction forum but did not find one, so I apologize if I've made a mistake in posting this before an introduction has been made. Also, this forum seemed to be the only one to suit my question, so I thought I'd go ahead and post it here. With that being said...

What is life like as an 11X ranger once you make it into the 75th? I've read that 11X in the general Army is made up of getting smoked, scrubbing toilets, and maintaining gear. Is that true as well for rangers? Can you shed some light on your daily life?

Also, for those who are married: how often are you able to see your wive?

The second question I've researched and have found some answers, but I don't know that I've found any specific to time. The first question I wasn't able to find anything through a search on Google...but I apologize if it exists already.
User avatar
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator
Posts: 363
Joined: June 4th, 2011, 11:42 am
Location: Ft. Bragg

Re: Life as a Ranger

Post by Grim666 »

Oh boy here we go. First of all how old are you? Second did you use the search bar on the site because I know those questions have been answered. Third have you spoken with a recruiter yet?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
User avatar
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger
Posts: 21935
Joined: March 8th, 2005, 10:48 am
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Life as a Ranger

Post by Jim »

Your initial entry is supposed to be an introduction. For that reason, I moved it here. If you want to earn a slot in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We take pride in the men who pass through ArmyRanger.com on their life journey. Read The FAQs, as well as selected threads and stickies. The search feature located on the upper right of this page is your friend. You can use it to answer most of your quearies. Now tell us more about yourself. Where are you from? Why do you want to be a Ranger?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
HappyPeanut
Embryo
Posts: 8
Joined: November 6th, 2015, 9:55 am

Re: Life as a Ranger

Post by HappyPeanut »

Grim666 wrote:Oh boy here we go. First of all how old are you? Second did you use the search bar on the site because I know those questions have been answered. Third have you spoken with a recruiter yet?
I am 23 years old and will be 24 years old in March. I used the search bar, but may have toggled one of the filters incorrectly. I have yet to speak with a recruiter, but it's on today's to-do list.
Jim wrote:Your initial entry is supposed to be an introduction. For that reason, I moved it here. If you want to earn a slot in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We take pride in the men who pass through ArmyRanger.com on their life journey. Read The FAQs, as well as selected threads and stickies. The search feature located on the upper right of this page is your friend. You can use it to answer most of your quearies. Now tell us more about yourself. Where are you from? Why do you want to be a Ranger?
I was looking for the appropriate forum to make an introduction. I've noticed that I can see the introductions forum when I am logged out, but the second that I log into my account, all of the introduction forums (and that whole group of forums) disappears.

Now, to tell you more about myself: I'm from the Carolina's and I've wanted to enlist since my childhood. I was originally going to enlist upon graduating high school, but bailed out because I didn't want to be away from home. As I grew older, I realized that home isn't where I necessarily want to be right now and the Army would be a great way to serve and to become more disciplined and gain life experience.

Last year I was interested in enlisting and spoke to a recruiter about it, but he was pretty pushy on enlisting immediately and I had no intentions of doing that, because I couldn't meet the AFPT requirements at that moment in time. So I bailed out of that. Since then I've been PT'ing and preparing to pass the AFPT with a high score; I'm not there yet, but I'm continuously making progress on it.

I'm going to speak to a recruiter today that is NOT my local recruiter and plan to tell him my plans. My plan is to make it clear to him that I'll 100% sign up as soon as I reach optimal AFPT scores, but right now I just have some questions for him about the Army in general. Would that be a good approach?

I plan to marry my current girlfriend in the next 6-8 months and she's said that she'll go with me, even though it'll suck for her quite a bit. So a lot of the information I'm trying to find is to make her feel more comfortable. She knows it's gonna suck and she knows I'll be away, but I'm just trying to find out exactly how long I'll be away from her throughout the year. I know I won't likely see my family but a few times a year, but she's the big thing right now.

I appreciate you guys giving me feedback!
User avatar
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger
Posts: 21935
Joined: March 8th, 2005, 10:48 am
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Life as a Ranger

Post by Jim »

You are not on facebook anymore. Everyone who has Ranger under their avatar have been vetted / certified as having served in a Ranger unit or completed Ranger School. There is a great deal of valuable information in the letters from school thread. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
HappyPeanut
Embryo
Posts: 8
Joined: November 6th, 2015, 9:55 am

Re: Life as a Ranger

Post by HappyPeanut »

I appreciate your response!
User avatar
rangerjd
Ranger
Posts: 1135
Joined: August 20th, 2014, 11:50 am
Location: Port Orchard, Wa

Re: Life as a Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

HappyPeanut wrote:Hi guys,

I looked for some sort of introduction forum but did not find one, so I apologize if I've made a mistake in posting this before an introduction has been made. Also, this forum seemed to be the only one to suit my question, so I thought I'd go ahead and post it here. With that being said...

What is life like as an 11X ranger once you make it into the 75th? I've read that 11X in the general Army is made up of getting smoked, scrubbing toilets, and maintaining gear. Is that true as well for rangers? Can you shed some light on your daily life?

Also, for those who are married: how often are you able to see your wive?

The second question I've researched and have found some answers, but I don't know that I've found any specific to time. The first question I wasn't able to find anything through a search on Google...but I apologize if it exists already.
Welcome HappyPeanut, you need to visit the rules section of this site, but let me help you out a little bit.

First; we are not addressed as 'hi guys', we are addressed as Rangers, and Ranger is always capitalized.

Second; you don't join the Ranger Regiment looking to get out of work, you will work infinitely harder in all areas than a soldier in a regular Infantry unit. Getting smoked will be part of your life as a young Ranger and as far as maintaining you gear, read the Ranger Creed. Weapons and Equipment that are maintained, WORK.

Third; Want to know the daily life of a Ranger, use Google or YouTube, want to know how to make it into the Ranger Regiment, join this site, read everything you can, listen to the advice given by the Rangers on this site, and never quit.

If you are serious about becoming a Ranger you will find all the help you need on this site, but remember, it will be the hardest thing you've ever done in your life, however it is worth the effort, IF you make it.

Memorize and start living the Ranger Creed now, Give everything you've got, ever time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
User avatar
rangerjd
Ranger
Posts: 1135
Joined: August 20th, 2014, 11:50 am
Location: Port Orchard, Wa

Re: Life as a Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

HappyPeanut, do you want to be a Ranger? If so, conduct an APFT to include pull-ups and post the results. Be honest in you assessment, then we can help you attain your goals. Start living the Ranger Creed and give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
sw24ever
Ranger
Posts: 6
Joined: September 21st, 2015, 11:08 pm

Re: Life as a Ranger

Post by sw24ever »

I am in the process of being "vetted" on this site, and while I may or may not have the "Ranger" under my username by the time you read this, allow me to give you my story and insight into becoming a Ranger without the bullshit or the fluff. I have never been PC when it comes to anything in my life so I apologize if the language I use "offends" you, but if it does, then 75th is probably not a place for you.

So lets go back to when I was a young kid... I visited a recruiter and had no idea what to do other than I wanted out and to later go to college. Most Rangers have grown up knowing they wanted to be a Ranger. I didn't. I had no clue what a Ranger was when the recruiter said I should be one. I literally thought he was referring to a National Park Ranger protecting our green forests. No shit. I was 124 pounds and as skinny as a tree. I was a 17 year old shit. A nobody. From day 1 of OSUT to the day before Graduating RIP, all I was ever told was I will never make it as a Ranger. Since I still had no clue what a Ranger was, I kept going simply to find out what everyone was so envious of. 5th jump in Airborne school I was a tangled jumper and broke my tailbone. I still had no clue what a Ranger was or why I was jumping from airplanes, but here I was, broken tailbone, and RIP a few weeks later, and everyone saying I was done. How do I pass the PT test in RIP now? How do I do sit-ups with a broken tailbone? Short answer, you suck it up, and when you hear "begin", you do it! I watched "friends" who were motivated and pumped quit, people that all they wanted their whole life was to be a Ranger, walk away from it all because it was hard. All the while, I kept going, still no clue what was about to happen. Then I graduated, after having my Ranger Buddy pin my scroll on I was reminded of the RIP Cadre (Now RASP) tell our class daily that the hardest days are yet to come. Once we get to Battalion, the real "suck" begins. No way that was possible because that was the toughest crap anyone could go through. It was at that moment, when the Scroll was pinned on my BDU's....that I knew what a Ranger was. And everyday after that while in Battalion was the hardest and most fun, and most rewarding days of my life.

So what can you learn from my story? Preparation is not your answer. It will help. Working out is not your answer. It will help (although I didn't do anything to prepare to watch and protect a forest, how hard could it be?). The only thing that you need to know as many have already stated.... NEVER QUIT. That is what being a Ranger is. A man, who despite anything and everything, will never quit. Period. Simple. Nothing more, nothing less. I will not sugar coat it. It sucks, and you have to love every bit of it - because everyone in here does! We love the suck!

P.S. - I was married while in to my high school sweetheart. Still married 17 years later. If you allow her to be a distraction, this is not the unit for you. family life and Brotherhood are two different areas. You must balance both. Some can't, and tough choices must be made. Bottom line, if you want to be a Ranger, you better be focused, or make a choice. I did it with a woman, others have done it single. Don't expect "preferential" treatment as a result. You can forget about that shit.
User avatar
cams
Ranger/Moderator
Posts: 9632
Joined: June 9th, 2005, 6:45 am

Re: Life as a Ranger

Post by cams »

sw24ever wrote:I am in the process of being "vetted" on this site, and while I may or may not have the "Ranger" under my username by the time you read this, allow me to give you my story and insight into becoming a Ranger without the bullshit or the fluff. I have never been PC when it comes to anything in my life so I apologize if the language I use "offends" you, but if it does, then 75th is probably not a place for you.

So lets go back to when I was a young kid... I visited a recruiter and had no idea what to do other than I wanted out and to later go to college. Most Rangers have grown up knowing they wanted to be a Ranger. I didn't. I had no clue what a Ranger was when the recruiter said I should be one. I literally thought he was referring to a National Park Ranger protecting our green forests. No shit. I was 124 pounds and as skinny as a tree. I was a 17 year old shit. A nobody. From day 1 of OSUT to the day before Graduating RIP, all I was ever told was I will never make it as a Ranger. Since I still had no clue what a Ranger was, I kept going simply to find out what everyone was so envious of. 5th jump in Airborne school I was a tangled jumper and broke my tailbone. I still had no clue what a Ranger was or why I was jumping from airplanes, but here I was, broken tailbone, and RIP a few weeks later, and everyone saying I was done. How do I pass the PT test in RIP now? How do I do sit-ups with a broken tailbone? Short answer, you suck it up, and when you hear "begin", you do it! I watched "friends" who were motivated and pumped quit, people that all they wanted their whole life was to be a Ranger, walk away from it all because it was hard. All the while, I kept going, still no clue what was about to happen. Then I graduated, after having my Ranger Buddy pin my scroll on I was reminded of the RIP Cadre (Now RASP) tell our class daily that the hardest days are yet to come. Once we get to Battalion, the real "suck" begins. No way that was possible because that was the toughest crap anyone could go through. It was at that moment, when the Scroll was pinned on my BDU's....that I knew what a Ranger was. And everyday after that while in Battalion was the hardest and most fun, and most rewarding days of my life.

So what can you learn from my story? Preparation is not your answer. It will help. Working out is not your answer. It will help (although I didn't do anything to prepare to watch and protect a forest, how hard could it be?). The only thing that you need to know as many have already stated.... NEVER QUIT. That is what being a Ranger is. A man, who despite anything and everything, will never quit. Period. Simple. Nothing more, nothing less. I will not sugar coat it. It sucks, and you have to love every bit of it - because everyone in here does! We love the suck!

P.S. - I was married while in to my high school sweetheart. Still married 17 years later. If you allow her to be a distraction, this is not the unit for you. family life and Brotherhood are two different areas. You must balance both. Some can't, and tough choices must be made. Bottom line, if you want to be a Ranger, you better be focused, or make a choice. I did it with a woman, others have done it single. Don't expect "preferential" treatment as a result. You can forget about that shit.
Great post Ranger. Very well said.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
HappyPeanut
Embryo
Posts: 8
Joined: November 6th, 2015, 9:55 am

Re: Life as a Ranger

Post by HappyPeanut »

I appreciate your responses. I apologize for the delay in response. I will test myself on the APFT within the next few days and will report back with my results! I am admittedly not prepared to enlist right now and do not plan to do so until I know for certain that I am able to do the things that I have to do to reach my goal. Thank you all!
User avatar
sinjefe
Ranger
Posts: 92
Joined: November 24th, 2010, 7:34 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Life as a Ranger

Post by sinjefe »

Stop saying "I" so much. In one of your posts you used it 46 times.
'82-'85 HHC, 1/75
'85-'87 101st Abn Div (AASLT)
'87-'89 9th Inf Div (MTZ)
'89-'02 7th SFG (A)
'02-'06 Advisor, Colombian Counter Narcotics JTF
'06-'08 JFK Special Warfare Center
User avatar
rangerjd
Ranger
Posts: 1135
Joined: August 20th, 2014, 11:50 am
Location: Port Orchard, Wa

Re: Life as a Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Where are your APFT scores. It's been well over a week.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Post Reply

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”