Introduction - Nathan

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

NathanRSF
Tadpole

Introduction - Nathan

Post by NathanRSF »

Hello Rangers,

My name is Nathan. I'm an aspiring Ranger/PJ/SARC. I'm looking to get and EMT-B certification and possibly take some more medical classes before I plan to join the military. I have around 1 year of high school left (I'm in an accelerated program that is online). I intend to become a 68w Ranger Medic, USAF PJ, or a Navy SARC (Whichever contract i can get). Although i'm most definitely leaning torwards Ranger Medic. I will get an updated APFT on Monday morning. I cannot do pullups yet, I've been hammering them like crazy with some assistance, I will get there though. I've been lerking on this site for about 2 months now so I finally wanted to indroduce myself to all of you and get the ball rolling. Thanks everyone. This site is a gold mine lol. Also I hope I did this right since it is my first time posting. I read the instructions and this seems right. If not, then I will fix it right away!

Thanks Rangers,
Nathan
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Nathan

Post by Jim »

Welcome Nathan. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Please tell us more about yourself. Why do you want to be a Ranger? You have not established a PT baseline to build on, so we look forward ty your posting your APFT scores. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

NathanRSF wrote:Hello Rangers,

My name is Nathan. I'm an aspiring Ranger/PJ/SARC. I'm looking to get and EMT-B certification and possibly take some more medical classes before I plan to join the military. I have around 1 year of high school left (I'm in an accelerated program that is online). I intend to become a 68w Ranger Medic, USAF PJ, or a Navy SARC (Whichever contract i can get). Although i'm most definitely leaning torwards Ranger Medic. I will get an updated APFT on Monday morning. I cannot do pullups yet, I've been hammering them like crazy with some assistance, I will get there though. I've been lerking on this site for about 2 months now so I finally wanted to indroduce myself to all of you and get the ball rolling. Thanks everyone. This site is a gold mine lol. Also I hope I did this right since it is my first time posting. I read the instructions and this seems right. If not, then I will fix it right away!
Sua sponte! RLTW!

Thanks Rangers,
Nathan
Hello & welcome Nathan. Getting an education online? How old are you Nathan?
Did you know that only Rangers can use Sua Sponte & RLTW after 1st making Ranger & earning the right to use them.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
NathanRSF
Tadpole

Post by NathanRSF »

Roger Ranger Steadfast. Thank you for clearing that up. Hopefully one day i will have the opportunity to use both of those terms. I'm 16, soon to be 17 but i am in Online school called OHDELA (Ohio distance electronic learning academy). I screwed around last year with my classes and I asked if there was anyway I could catch up and possibly graduate early. My academic advisor said that there was a program that I could do so. So, I should be out of school in summer of 2016/winter of 2016 (Depends on how fast I work). I will push for this summer though.

Roger Ranger Jim. I enjoy this site thoroughly. I will use every asset possible to persue my dream. I will definitly get that PT test done tomorrow.My oldest brother joined the military (13b, 82nd airborne) in hopes of eventually making it to SF or Ranger. He never got the chance but he did tell me about it. So, he had kind of been my Mentor in this whole process. Anyways, I've always wanted to join the military ever since I was a little kid. In the last 2 years I've read many books, done extensive research, and worked out extremely hard. In that process I discovered that I loved helping people, especially medical. I used to get beat up pretty bad in football since I was a lineman, so I would patch myself up, ice, ect. Then it grew to learning about Anatomy and physiology, and understanding how I could recover more efficently. I also am/was in love with lifting weights, so I enjoyed exercise science and nutrition as well. Now my ambition my the medical has taken steps further.....I now want to became the best medical provider that the Army has to offer, A Ranger Medic.

I hate school. Can't even lie about that. But, I LOVE learning about the things that I want to Pursue/Accomplish. I am self-taught in all of my knowledge medical, which is not that much, but still more than the average joe. What I need to do is just suck up school and get it done and over with. That way I can pursue my dream to become the best of the best. I also love to help others. The adrenaline rush I get when I am able to dress a wound when someone is bleeding very bad (happened countless times in Football and Baseball). Same with Applying Splints when someone rolls their ankle or hurts their wrists. I just feel right when i am doing those things. I feel that it is what I was made for.

What I've been trying to do recently is to break away from my football/lifting background and to try and get more calisthenics/cardio into my workout routine. My current 'big 3' numbers are: 430 deadlift, 315 back squat, 225 bench. I'm 260 at about 6'2. I have alot of muscle mass but I'm also about 25% BF. I will give an updated PT test tomorrow, but about 4-5 weeks ago i did: 40 pushups, 45 sit-ups, 19:00 2 mile, 0 pullups (I've been hammering these). Sucky numbers but i will get there. Can't wait to share my journey with all of you.

Side not: My coaches knew that I was very good with basic stuff such as splints, tourniquets, and iceing so they let me do until the nurse came out. I never really did splints unless it was at home though. I have 3 A type personallity brothers....things got pretty ugly haha. A LOT of ER visits too.
NathanRSF
Tadpole

Post by NathanRSF »

Rangers,
I did a self-administered PT test this morning. The results are:
43 sit-ups
48 pushups
19:31 2 mile run
0 pullups (ONE DAY!)

I am aware I Need to try and up these scores. It depresses me just looking at them. But it also fires me up to go and get after it. The things I need to work on most is definitely running and pullups. I can't lie when I tell you that I had to take a couple of breaks during the run. My lungs were absolutely on fire, partly because it is like 30-40 degrees where I live. I think that is a violation if you rest during the run, but my breathing kept going out of wack. I'll work on it though. I'll post PT test every 1-2 weeks to show my progression. I've also been doing a lot of rowing and bike riding. Which has increased my durability and stamina like crazy. More updates soon to come.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Have you been reading the letters from school from all the 68W option 40 Medics? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
NathanRSF
Tadpole

Post by NathanRSF »

Roger Ranger Jim, I indeed have been. Although i'm kinda confused onto why some recruiters say that 68w option 40's don't exists, and then others give them out. A little confused there. Also, I will post an updated PT test later tonight to show all of you my progress. I've been trying to PT, read, and get as much school work done as possible lately. I am trying to get better everyday. Thanks again gentlemen!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

To a recruiter, you represent a mission quota. He (she) wants you to enlist -- and your desire is secondary. You on the other hand want to enlist for a very specific MOS. Remember, this is your life we are discussing. You should find this link helpful.

http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... uiting.htm
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

I concur whole heartily with what Ranger Jim is saying, remember that what is on that paper when you sign it, is what you will do while in the Military. So MAKE SURE that what is on that paper is what you want to do. If you want 68W with an option 40 then settle for nothing less. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
NathanRSF
Tadpole

Post by NathanRSF »

Roger Ranger Jim and rangerjd,

That Link and both the words of Ranger Jim and rangerjd cleared some things up. I will try and pursue an option 40 68w but i have a long way to go in my journey. Also, do they still recruit people from AIT and Jump school (Option 4) for Ranger Battalion? I know they used too but I'm not sure now. Worst comes the worst and absolutly no recruiter works with me.

APFT:
45 pushups (Chest hits ground)
51 sit-ups
0 pullups
I went for a 1 mile speed run.... 8:39

I struggled with the 2 mile before because my breathing was all out of wack. I've been running 2-3 days a week. Pushups fell because I made sure I did proper form. I've been doing lots of flutter kicks, leg raises, and sit-ups for abs. They are definitely feeling stronger than ever before. Although, I have some popping in my hips. Doctor said it was normal in young athletes. But, it distracts me because it's loud (not for a bystander though) and can occasionally hurt. I did a 3:00 row for maximum meters- 771m. HUGE improvement. It was like 450-550 before. I also did some intervals on the bike. I've been loving my transition from power-lifting to more of calisthenics and curcuit training. Although, it's definitely tough for me being 260 with alot of muscle mass. Especially running, love it but hate it lol!

Also, a gentleman on another forum suggested that i buy a pullup bar and place it in my room. Everytime i walk into my room i do pullups til faliure. Although, in my case it would be dead hangs or negative pullups (jump up then control your decent). I'll take a look at the PT forum and see what i can find. Thanks Rangers!!!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

OK, Nathan, you now have established a PT base-line to build on. Time is on your side, because of your age. Start working on building up your strength. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
NathanRSF
Tadpole

Post by NathanRSF »

Roger Ranger Jim! I'll give an update in a couple of days to a week for a PT update.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

NathanRSF wrote:Roger Ranger Jim! I'll give an update in a couple of days to a week for a PT update.
Well, Nathan, a week has passed and no AFPT results. Never, never quit
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
NathanRSF
Tadpole

Post by NathanRSF »

Ranger Jim,

I have been stretching out, working a lot, and lots of school-work. I apologize about that. PT should be up and running on Thursday. Plus, been having some foot problems. Nothing major, just wanted to prevent further damage from being done. Hence, all the stretching. PT test will be there Sunday afternoon or Monday morning. Promise this time!

I hate how many hours my job takes away from PT, School, and ect. Especially school. So, I am here to ask you Rangers what I should do. Should I quit my job and focus on school, PT, and I'm thing about joining some MMA classes? Or should I condense down some days? Or suck it up and find a way to get all of it done. I love how my job has taught me to be on time and helped me introduce myself to the work enviornment. But, I dont know if i cant keep going 30 hours a week + 8 hours for school per day + PT/MMA, probably another 1-3 hours, depends on the day. I honestly am going crazy trying to manage all of it. I dont want to quit because i hate quitting, and it is symbolic to quitting RASP for me because I just gave up....Anyways, advice would be nice right about now.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Clean-up complete, Nathan. Continue to drive on.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”