Intro naweir

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

naweir
Future Soldier

Re: Intro naweir

Post by naweir »

I noticed ASVAB scores tend to be a repetitive piece of requested info so I thought I would post mine as well current as of 20150814:

GT = 120
CL = 124
CO = 124
EL = 123
FA = 124
GM = 123
MM = 118
OF = 122
SC = 124
ST = 124

These are decent scores that meet requirements, but I wanted to ensure that my profile here was held as current as possible. Thank you all.
12B

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

naweir wrote:

I had followed that last link you had provided and my research showed there was definitely a 12B Ranger route. I wanted to doublecheck with you guys though to ensure I am not told something different by my recruiter. My recruiter and I sat down to finalize my MEPS date and he should be getting my job options back to me on 20151022. He mentioned that Op 4 and 40 may not be available this late in the year however. I just do not want to be swayed into giving in if I could hold out for what I want and I feel like maybe my best bet might be to wait on signing until the new fiscal year in order to ensure all my desired slots are open and able to be in my contract prior to leaving. I do not want to leave with this path left up to chance.
FY 2016 begins 1 November 2015. Don't let recruiters intimidate you with misinformation. Feel free to check here first. Never, never quit.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
naweir
Future Soldier

Post by naweir »

Yes sir Ranger Jim and thanks.

I should be leaving for MEPS this Sunday once again, and the recruiter mentioned he should have my job by then. I can wait on signing as I still have a semester left to graduate after this one. I was told he would have my job listing this week however, as he should be able to pull my paperwork that was initially sent to the NG unit. If I get the "not available" chatter, I will hold out to see that I can get it based on your and other's advice through here.

Thank you again.
12B

naweir
Future Soldier

Post by naweir »

UPDATE:

Went to MEPS this weekend and came back without a contract. Apparently there are NO 12B jobs out there for my ship date. I was never told when that date was by my recruiter, but it showed the 201605-06 time frame. They mentioned they might be able to get me 12B if I would accept no Airborne or Ranger school, but I opted out of that as I did not want to not get it up front. Hoping to go back next go around and get my schools and job. Still no change as far as I know though...
12B

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

naweir wrote: Went to MEPS this weekend and came back without a contract. Apparently there are NO 12B jobs out there for my ship date. I was never told when that date was by my recruiter, but it showed the 201605-06 time frame. They mentioned they might be able to get me 12B if I would accept no Airborne or Ranger school, but I opted out of that as I did not want to not get it up front. Hoping to go back next go around and get my schools and job. Still no change as far as I know though...
Continue to stand your ground. To your recruiter, you are just a quota. For you, it is your life; and getting to most out of it.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
naweir
Future Soldier

Post by naweir »

Roger Ranger Jim.

As I am in no rush to sign due to my still having six months of school prior to enlistment, I have been instructed to have a secondary job setup for purposes of getting contracted in the event 12B does not show up. Anyone heard of this? I was told either infantry if I wanted combat arms, or possible 35M, Intel collector. '

I know infantry can get Opt 40/4, but the other is not shown on the link provided by Ranger Jim. It appears it is not even accepted into regiment which means having to decide between wanting to a Ranger and wanting a different MOS. (No brainer for me I feel) I was looking for something that might translate well into the civilian world that would give me an oppurtunity to serve in a role that I feel would be rewarding and uncommon. I am terrified of getting a desk job also.

Is infantry transferrable to civilian life at all other than a contractor?
What other MOS might be with an allowance for Opt 40 out of the gate in writing?
Would it be a long shot to assume not getting it into my contract, and relying on performance in my unit to help me get a shot? (My recruiter mentioned they are just going to take volunteers at some point in my unit which I find a little hard to believe it to be that easy.)

Thank you all again for your time.
12B

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Inattention to detail. The link I provided shows all the enlisted MOSs required by the Regiment. Look again, please.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
naweir
Future Soldier

Post by naweir »

Roger Ranger Jim.

Once again I missed the mark on attention to detail.

Thank you.
12B

naweir
Future Soldier

Post by naweir »

More recent update:

So my recruiter is consistently urging me to pick another MOS. I have researched the MOS listing provided by Ranger Jim (thoroughly this time) and know that I am correct in my want to go 12B and that there should not be a reason to my knowledge that I should not be allowed to obtain one.

With time not being a factor, I am going to ensue with my wants per the information given to me through here. They are still trying to convince me of the "fiscal year" issue and the fact that there may not be a slot for my shipping time frame Summer 2016. As per other info by Ranger Jim, I am holding to the fact that this new year has already been reinstated and that there should be a listing come open soon.

To the best of my knowledge I do not see any reason there would not be something coming open. The contract negotiator at MEPS mentioned that maybe because I am older and in college, that it is due to some priority thing given to high school grads over me. Sounds like crap, but I have no clue. My ASVAB and TAPAS scores seem to comply with the requirements, so I have no reason to be mislead to believing that to hold water.

I also realize that is more than once I have had "Inattention to Detail" cited in my thread. I am not however aware of standard reprimands through here. I am prepared for my punishment in order to achieve this attention in the future. I will await that punishment as well.

Thank you again Ranger Jim.
12B

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

One of the things you need to understand is that to most recruiters, you represent a quota. You are trying to achieve your lifetime goals. Stay in contact with your recruiter and tell him exactly what you want. If he does not give you what you desire, use the phone number on the link I gave you for the 75th Ranger Regiment Recruiters. Tell his chain of command that you are not going to enlist until you get the option you want. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

First off I can tell you that a 12B in the Regiment is certainly not as plentiful as a 11X or other MOSes. If all of the 12B spots are filled for right now then they will not have an opening. I do not know off hand how many spots they have but I am sure it is not nearly as many as other MOSes. That is one consideration. The second is that the people at MEPS are actually not lying to you. When I wen to enlist I have a 132 GT score and a 98 on my ASVAB so I met the requirements for literally every job in the Army from that perspective. However, when sitting with my recruiter (Who happened to be pretty squared away, I got lucky), he pulled up my information and showed me the 3 or 4 jobs that were available to me. He then change my age and only my age and I literally had 50+ jobs to choose from. After that he showed me that if you are a high school senior even more choices open up. I easily had 75 if he did that. So there is some truth to that as I have seen first hand. Remember this is your life like many here say all the time. Get what you want, but as life has always taught me have a back up plan. You could try to call the regimental recruiter to ask if those spots are currently open.
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
naweir
Future Soldier

Post by naweir »

Ranger Jim and Ranger Grim666, Thank you both.

I will begin looking at backup plans and see what I can come up with in the event I got back to MEPS and nothing happens.

I emailed the recruiting command for 75th, and am attempting to locate an individual that may be able to help with 12B info outside of that. The MG in command at Leonard Wood has a form you can contact him with, but I am unable to get it to go through currently. I am going to see if scouring the phone number listings on their website yields anything better. I may consider the 35 MOS route, which is a bit longer than 12B, but still seems pretty interesting to me.
12B

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

naweir wrote:Ranger Jim and Ranger Grim666, Thank you both.

I will begin looking at backup plans and see what I can come up with in the event I got back to MEPS and nothing happens.

I emailed the recruiting command for 75th, and am attempting to locate an individual that may be able to help with 12B info outside of that. The MG in command at Leonard Wood has a form you can contact him with, but I am unable to get it to go through currently. I am going to see if scouring the phone number listings on their website yields anything better. I may consider the 35 MOS route, which is a bit longer than 12B, but still seems pretty interesting to me.
Please stay involved. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
naweir
Future Soldier

Post by naweir »

Roger Ranger Jim.
12B

naweir
Future Soldier

Post by naweir »

Rangers,

Returned to MEPS on 20151119 and was given a 12B slot. I was promised to be receiving my Airborne contract, but they screwed it up. I was however able to get my 12B position which was important to me.

From the FAQ and posts through here it is not unheard of, with a lot of hard work, to receive Airborne from BASIC, and then a possible Ranger slot from Airborne. I take it to mean that with hard work and preparation prior to leaving, I still have a shot at getting what I want. I am okay with this as if I was to show up to BASIC unprepared and not receive my shot, it would mean I was a shit show anyway and don't deserve it. I am going to have a new PT score up by end of next week unless asked for one prior to that. Date set is 20161124 for test.

Thank you all.
12B

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”