Introduction - Brent

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Brent

Post by Jim »

sinjefe wrote:Being an 11X in the Regular Army is perfectly honorable and, in my opinion, Airborne or not, a better choice than going into SF directly as an 18X. It isn't about you, it is about the strength of the regiment. Once in for awhile, you can re-attempt going to the RR or SF.
Brent, Please address Sinjefe's comments. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
BrentK
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by BrentK »

Roger Ranger Jim.

Ranger Sinjefe, after hearing your advice and further thinking about the topic, I have decided to completely rule out the 18x route. While I have the utmost respect for the SF, it does not seem wise for me to go directly into them, nor is that even where I want to be (at least initially).

My plan now is to only accept an 11x Option 40 or 11x Option 4 contract. I appreciate all the advice and wisdom others have given me that has led to this decision.
11x Opt 40
Ship Date: 20160105

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
BrentK
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by BrentK »

Just a quick update on my situation:

The first time I sent my packet in, the MEPS doctors sent it back and requested that I take a pulmonary functions test with a methacholine challenge (due to my inhaler use for bronchitis when I was younger). I passed the test (my lung function dropped 18%, but anything below 20% is considered a negative for asthma) and got the packet re-sent to MEPS on the 7th or 8th of this month. It finally came back yesterday, but apparently one of the documents I sent in regarding the pulmonary functions test was missing a doctor’s signature that it needed. My recruiter is going to get this signature for me on Monday and get it sent out again.

Although I’m getting sick of having to wait on all this to get done, I’m happy to say that my recruiter did tell me that MEPS requesting this doctor’s signature probably means everything else is good, so I hope to have my packet cleared sometime next week.

On a completely unrelated note, I completed a 10-mile ruck today with about 52 pounds in 2 hours 47 minutes (making my average mile time 16 minutes 42 seconds). I’ve been rucking for about six weeks now (beginning with 35 pounds and working my way up to where I am now), so I feel like my mile times should be much faster than they currently are. Whenever I complete these long rucks, my legs and lower back don’t really even feel tired, but my trap muscles feel terrible, to the point that I can barely even move my arms for a few hours afterward. Do I just need to man-up and deal with the pain, or does this mean my pack isn’t fitting me right and I need to make some adjustments?
11x Opt 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

BrentK wrote: On a completely unrelated note, I completed a 10-mile ruck today with about 52 pounds in 2 hours 47 minutes (making my average mile time 16 minutes 42 seconds). I’ve been rucking for about six weeks now (beginning with 35 pounds and working my way up to where I am now), so I feel like my mile times should be much faster than they currently are. Whenever I complete these long rucks, my legs and lower back don’t really even feel tired, but my trap muscles feel terrible, to the point that I can barely even move my arms for a few hours afterward. Do I just need to man-up and deal with the pain, or does this mean my pack isn’t fitting me right and I need to make some adjustments?
52 pounds is more weight than you need to train with. Try 35 as a maximum for the time breing. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

How often are you rucking? Remember rucking sucks for the body. 35 lbs works to get you used to moving with weight. Also no more than about 5-6 miles a week. Even that is more than enough if you are keeping up with the rest of your pt. The 10 miles you did is good for the next 2 weeks. You have to give your body time to recover while working out. If not you greatly increase your chances of injury. And no you are probably just sore. Like I said give your body some time to heal. Make sure you are eating good, drinking enough water, and getting enough rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
BrentK
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by BrentK »

Thanks for the advice Ranger Jim and Ranger Grim666.

Last week I did two five mile rucks on back-to-back days (with 52 pounds) and the week before that I did a six mile ruck with about 43 pounds. I will definitely follow your suggestions and tone it down until my body gets more used to rucking. While I enjoy challenging myself, I should probably try to do so more carefully. I absolutely do not want to get hurt when I am this close to getting my medical paperwork completed.
11x Opt 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

BrentK wrote: I will definitely follow your suggestions and tone it down until my body gets more used to rucking. While I enjoy challenging myself, I should probably try to do so more carefully. I absolutely do not want to get hurt when I am this close to getting my medical paperwork completed.
Correct, No reason to be hurting yourself at this point in the process. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
BrentK
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by BrentK »

I’m happy to finally be able to say that my packet has cleared and I will be leaving for MEPS on Sunday. My recruiter and I looked at jobs this morning and, despite initially showing that there were over two hundred 11x Option 40s available (which was apparently the result of a computer glitch), there were no contracts available that were exactly what I wanted. There were, however, a number of regular 11x contracts available. For better or worse, I told my recruiter that if an 11x with an Option 40 or Option 4 doesn’t pop up by the time there were less than seventy of the regular 11x contracts available, I would take one of the contracts without any options.

While this obviously isn’t optimal, I had no interest in waiting for a contract that could potentially take months (or longer) to show up, and I am confident in my ability to earn my way to Airborne training and then RASP. If anyone on here has any advice or constructive criticism for me, I definitely want to hear it; it’s always great to hear feedback from people whose knowledge of these matters vastly outweighs my own.
11x Opt 40

BrentK
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by BrentK »

Well, after having basically decided that I will be getting a regular 11x contract, I received an exciting call this afternoon from my recruiter informing me that he was able to reserve me an 11x Option 40. As mentioned in my previous post, I will be going to MEPS on Monday. I am incredibly excited to have this opportunity, and I can’t thank the Rangers on here enough for the help and advice I have already received, as well as that which I hope to receive in the future. :D
11x Opt 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

BrentK wrote:Well, after having basically decided that I will be getting a regular 11x contract, I received an exciting call this afternoon from my recruiter informing me that he was able to reserve me an 11x Option 40. As mentioned in my previous post, I will be going to MEPS on Monday. I am incredibly excited to have this opportunity, and I can’t thank the Rangers on here enough for the help and advice I have already received, as well as that which I hope to receive in the future. :D
So tell us what happened at MEPS. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
BrentK
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by BrentK »

After a long day at MEPS yesterday, I now officially have my 11x Option 40 contract! I scored a 97 on the ASVAB, and everything else seemed to go good as well.

My ship date will be 20160105. In the meantime I will be doing everything I can to prepare myself mentally and physically for the challenges ahead.
11x Opt 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

You took your oath today? How many years did you enlist for?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
BrentK
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by BrentK »

Ranger Jim, I took my oath yesterday and my contract is for 4 years 19 weeks.
11x Opt 40

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”