Introduction - iFortitude

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

iFortitude
Future Soldier / Opt40

Introduction - iFortitude

Post by iFortitude »

Hello Rangers,

My name is Christian, I'm 18 years old and a future soldier. My contract is 11X OPTION 40 and my ship date is 20150929. I've be a consistent reader of this forum for years now. I've finally decided to register an account, because now I feel my words have a little bit more weight compared to me as a 12 year old and am 2 months away from beginning the whole process of becoming a U.S. Army Ranger. I decided to become a Ranger when I was 12 years old and when I say "decided" I mean 'decided'. Once I read the Ranger Creed I knew this is the only thing I wanted and immediately memorized it and recited it every morning or any time I needed motivation throughout my years *especially when running*.

My reasons for being so content on becoming a U.S. Army Ranger are to serve my country to the best of my ability, to do things in my life with meaning, to look back on my life when I'm 70 or 20 and be proud of what I've done and eager for what I'm going to do. I want to defend this country against those that aim to harm it or it's fundamentals. I want to defend innocent people regardless if they were born in another country and punish those who mercilessly harm/threaten their lives. I also want the challenge and to know that the men I'll work under, with, and above will be the best set of men I'll ever meet in my life and if they ever waiver or get lazy the Regiment won't stand for it and they're out and the same applies to me :twisted: .

Those are some reasons I can express verbally, but that gut feeling that I know this is what I want and I'm determined to get no matter what feels impossible to explain, but I'm sure you know the feeling. That feeling where the only way RASP says I can't get it is if I'm on a stretcher or in a body bag, because I'll be pushing myself every second, of every day so there's no doubt in anyone's mind whether I belong there. Trust me when I say; I will never quit!

I suppose you Rangers see these as simply words and I'll need to prove myself and I assure you that's what I plan to do, but here's a little more about me and what I have done and have experience.

I've lived kind of all over the country, but mainly up north. My mom was in the coast guard so we did move a good bit, like once every 2 years. I'm very greatful for that experience it made me a stronger individual by being able to get comfortable, lose it all, and start again by giving it my all at school or with new friends. I've also been training physically and mentally for the Rangers consistently for the past year. Mentally, I've done a lot of research and I feel that I'm the best prepared mentally that I could possibly be and now all that's left is actually doing it myself and seeing where I stand compared to those before me. I've memorized Maj. Rogers' Standing Orders, the Ranger Creed, Soldier Creed, General Orders, Formations, Saluting, etc. Just yesterday I devoted myself to memorizing the Ranger Handbook (2011 Edition). I'm currently finishing up studying the Ranger History and after that I'll be studying one chapter a day, I'm confident I'll have it all down before I ship and then some.

I'm currently unemployed, I felt that considering that these are my last two months of being able to be a civilian (at least for 4 years) and I'm about to embark on a life that only truly few have ever attempted and succeeded I thought I'd take advantage of all this free time to be lazy and prepare while I can. I plan on staying in the army for 20+ years, but what do I know, I need to experience it first.

Now, as for the physical aspect that I've been training for in the past year... I've been training consistently with pushups, situps, pullups, and I've started running just this early-March and I've started interval sprinting just this week. My minimums are 100 on each section of the PT test and my running is the only thing I need to keep working on to be assured I reach that minimum and then some. I'll be posting an updated version of my PT scores tomorrow though.

Now that I'm on this site I hope to learn a lot more and get some great feedback from you Rangers who have done it and are doing it.

Even though it's just words, I swear to you all reading this, I'm GOING TO DO THIS! NOTHING, NOTHING will stop me, NOTHING and I can hardly wait to prove myself!
11X Option 40
Ship Date: 20150929

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - iFortitude

Post by Jim »

Welcome, If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Please self-administer a PT test (include pull-ups) and post your score on this thread within the next 72 hours. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
iFortitude
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by iFortitude »

Roger, Ranger Jim!
11X Option 40

CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Christian.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
iFortitude
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by iFortitude »

PT SCORES:

Push Ups: 104
Sit Ups: 93
2M: 12:50
Pull Ups: 15

Conducted PT test at 0535
5 minute rest period period in between each event.
11X Option 40

iFortitude
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by iFortitude »

A little more about me...

In late June I contacted a recruiting office down in Lansing (Where I live) and made an appointment. I decided to contacted a recruiter then, because literally a few minutes prior I checked my mail and saw I received my high school transcripts with my graduation date on them. So realizing I had that along with my birth certificate, SS Card, and ID I was ready to go paper work wise.

Made an appointment at 1200 and ran there, I slightly regret that now, only because when I arrived there I was sweating and cotton mouthed and the next day and a couple after I was sore, but whatever it was a good 7 miles that day. I spoke with a Sgt and he introduced himself and quickly on why he joined and the opportunities of the army. I let him talk for a minute, but then simply said "I want 11X Option 40" he said "WOW, you know your stuff". I went on to explain to him (Yes, I explained to him) exactly what Option 40 was and we talked about things like getting promoted to PV2 before basic. Honestly there was only one person in the entire office that knew that Option 40 isn't a Ranger School contract and the only one who knew was an Airborne Ranger. I corrected them, politely though.

By the end of the first visit I completed the practice ASVAB test and got a 70, answered some medical questions and signed the dotted lines, a date for me to take my ASVAB was set, and then I went home to fill out the Army Career Explorer online. The second time (I think a week later) I went back the Sgt wasn't there (on leave), but the SFC took care of me. We went over a bit of my ACE packet and I was told I needed to bring back med docs on my previously having high b/p and needing to take medication for it 2 years prior. And he constantly tried to say I probably won't get option 40 and I shouldn't set my sights so strongly on it and so forth. So he asked if I'd take 11X if offered right now, I immediately said "No, I want 11X OPT 40" he got the picture and pretty much stopped trying.

I then went to MEPS, recruiter dropped me off, I sat down and read some stuff on sexual harassment and how to conduct myself, then went to the control desk and took fingerprints, picture, etc. I took my test on a computer (AFQT: 70, GT: 117, CO: 98 <-- All I cared about) and once I finished and got my scores and was walking down the hallway reading them and saw I was fully qualified I almost jumped up and cheered, not kidding, okay I actually might have, but I used my indoor voice.
TIP: Get ASVABs for Dummies, the premier edition it comes with a CD with practice test. Find out your weaknesses and priorities and work on them. For example, if you're going 11X don't focus on the science section, just the ones that make up the AFQT, GT, and CO scores. And practice with ANY practice test you can find EVERYDAY!

P.S. The paragraph comprehension section is vague as hell, so don't just say "I don't need to study to read", DO IT!

After that I went home and received a called from SFC congratulating me, because before he was trying to direct me away from being so stuck on opt 40 and he kept saying that he wouldn't spend 6 months or a year on me if I just kept saying "I WANT 11X OPTION 40".

So anyway, a little later on a recruiter called me who served in the 75th Ranger Regiment, scrolled and all (I checked) talking to me about how I can go in through different routes, Option 4 & by being a stud at OSUT and volunteering and applying when in my first unit after a few years and such. I was being as respectful as I possibly could and tried not to get to dumb founded with the fact that I'm on the phone with an Airborne Ranger, some place that I'm aiming for and will achieve, he's already been there, done that. Anyway, I eventually said I know about those routes and I'm willing to explore them if waiting for an Option 40 took like 3+ months (ONLY because I was confident with my PT scores {300+} and everything I've learned).

I later went back to my recruiter giving him my med docs and we finished up my ACE packet and SFC. called me later on saying how he wants to get me enlisted by the end of next week, because he just received word that over 100 11x Option 40s were released along with some 18xs and he just needed to call "The Rock" to get mine reserved. So next week I got my reserved, did more paperwork, had a sore face from smiling so much, and was put in the hot seat for a preparation for MEPs. Basically just be honest, don't talk to much, don't throw your recruiter under the bus, and if you're going to lie at least be able to put on an act don't lie if they're going to find out about it and it's on record, but if you shoplifted when you were 6, just keep it to yourself. Other than that he said not to get my hopes up, because plenty of people fail physical.

Later I went to the hotel met a lot of other people, most were shipping out and I played video games and hung out with other people and went to bed at 2200 and woke up at 0530. Then went to MEPs for a physical. MEPs is SUPER simple! Just do what you're told, pay attention, and there will be small dixie cups next to a water fountain suck those down when you're a station behind the urine test station (you don't want to be like the one guy we had that stood at the urinal for 10+ minutes unable to go and have to try later). Also, practice the color blind dot test online prior to going, right now actually (finish reading this actually, then do it) and as for getting your genitals felt and your anus checked it's not weird. It's a doctor, you're not special (hopefully), and there should be an examiner there. In the end I took my blood pressure test for a 2nd test (inhaled, exhaled deep breaths) and passed and ended with all 1s.

The next day I went back to the hotel and met more people, but this time the majority were getting physicals and I gave anyone who needed it advice. Honestly my time at the hotel was super fun. Played some video games, ping pong, and talked a lot with a lot of people I had a lot in common with (I said a lot... a lot). BUT... my second visit to MEPs where it was mainly spent with a guidance counselor, SUCKED AKA was long, but the worst part is wondering whether or not they forgot about you. Just remember they didn't, but if you're worried they did just look at a clock and if you've been waiting for 4 hours minimum then go ahead and see your counselor (you'll be able to eat lunch, talk with other people waiting or finishing their physicals, and watch TV). I waited a little over two hours after dealing with my SF86 stuff then waited like 30 minutes to swear in.

I swore in alone, before hand I went in a room and read something talking about UCMJ and was taught parade rest really quickly and how to react "ATTENTION!" and how to react to "At ease". Pictures and videos were taken, saw my counselor for the last time, wished all the other military applicants luck, and left. After that I was all about that Future Soldier Program. I just recently took my PFA (1,1,1) and after that took some classes on SHARP and Suicide Prevention.

Now I'm less than 60 days away from shipping out.

EXTRA:
Craziest thing that happened for me at MEPs.
I met a guy at the hotel who had an 18x contract reserved and I liked him, he was smart, and a good guy and I easily connected with him. He had to do physical while I had to do the whole swearing in stuff. While at MEPs we saw each other at MEPs a few times, the first times he was cheering about how he got 18X and I smiled and congratulated him. We both took our airborne physical at the same time, but when I was done with mine I noticed him finish with a disappointed look on his face. He had those huge gauge piercings in the past and it seemed that you could see through them and they wouldn't close and that was a no-go. He super glued it shut prior to going to MEPs, but the doctor simply opened it right back up. He was disqualified physically from the military right then and there he told me at the control desk while we were leaving.

I wish the best of luck to him, but man that was a fucking shot to the heart and that sincerely sucked. I met someone else with the same ambition and drive and mentality as me and something out of his control like this disqualifies him for 2 years, a real eye opener for me and a taste of the relationships I'll build.
11X Option 40

rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Welcome to the site, you have very little time until your leave date. Remember, no matter how well you prepare your body, it will be your mind that either continues to drive on or quit when the going get tough. Begin now to push yourself past your limits in everything you do. whether it's running, push-ups, or whatever, when you reach the end of what you think you can do, push yourself to do a little more. Train your mind to never quit. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
iFortitude
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by iFortitude »

rangerjd wrote:Welcome to the site, you have very little time until your leave date. Remember, no matter how well you prepare your body, it will be your mind that either continues to drive on or quit when the going get tough. Begin now to push yourself past your limits in everything you do. whether it's running, push-ups, or whatever, when you reach the end of what you think you can do, push yourself to do a little more. Train your mind to never quit. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger rangerjd,

Thank you for the inspiring words! I will make sure to give my all and then some in everything I do.
11X Option 40

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”