Introduction-Luke

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

lukey
BANNED

Introduction-Luke

Post by lukey »

Hello, I'm Luke. I'm currently 17 years old and a junior in high school. I enlisted pretty recently as a 68W Option 40 recruit and I got a whole year to go before going to basic training. I was hoping some of you Rangers would share some of your wisdom with me. I wanted to be an infantryman, but I wanted to have a skillset like medical so I picked 68W. Was it a bad choice? From what I've read online, Ranger medics are 11B's with 68W as a secondary MOS. Also, my recruiter told me if I eventually wanted to go SF medical mos's are highly recruited from. Is this true?
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: Introduction-Luke

Post by centermass »

Welcome to the board.

One of our resident Ranger medics may be along to assist you in the next few days. Keep in mind, they have an extremely busy schedule, so, take whatever advice they give you and don't waste their time.

Another thing I suggest is keep your focus on the 50 meter target. In other words, don't even start thinking about SF right now. Worry about what it is you need to do right now, to get yourself prepared to hit the ground running on Day One and smoke everything that comes in your direction.

Last, when the shit hits the fan, everyone becomes a shooter. You will have acquired the the basic skills of an Infantryman, but will hold the MOS of a 68W, which in the Regiment, is a very prestigious honor and an achievement not easily met. You can always put in for a secondary MOS of 11B later on down the road.

RLTW,

CM
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
lukey
BANNED

Post by lukey »

Understood, Ranger centermass. Thanks for the reply
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

lukey wrote:Hello, I'm Luke. I'm currently 17 years old and a junior in high school. I enlisted pretty recently as a 68W Option 40 recruit and I got a whole year to go before going to basic training. I was hoping some of you Rangers would share some of your wisdom with me. I wanted to be an infantryman, but I wanted to have a skillset like medical so I picked 68W. Was it a bad choice? From what I've read online, Ranger medics are 11B's with 68W as a secondary MOS. Also, my recruiter told me if I eventually wanted to go SF medical mos's are highly recruited from. Is this true?
Welcome Luke, If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Please tell us more about yourself. Why do you want to be a Ranger Medic? Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Please self-administer a PT test and post the results on this thread in the next 72 hours' -- add pull-ups to your workout. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

If your end game is to be an 18 series why not just go in with an 18X contract? Why waste your time and Regiments time? A good friend of mine was a medic prior to going to selection, and he ended up becoming an 18E so I don't think they much care what you were in your prior Army life. Good luck, welcome to the site.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
lukey
BANNED

Post by lukey »

Affirm wrote:A medic in batt is a medic, not an infantryman. However, you are on the battlefield. Medics are attached at the hip to their Platoon Sergeant on combat operations. If you take contact, you are still in the fight.

Otherwise, you train the platoon on RFR/medical stuff and provide sick call. Medics in batt are all SOCM (Special Operations Combat Medic) qualified, and way more skilled than traditional combat medics.
Okay, thanks for the clarification Ranger Affirm.
SLEDGE HAMMER wrote:If your end game is to be an 18 series why not just go in with an 18X contract? Why waste your time and Regiments time? A good friend of mine was a medic prior to going to selection, and he ended up becoming an 18E so I don't think they much care what you were in your prior Army life. Good luck, welcome to the site.
Thanks Ranger SLEDGE HAMMER! I was thinking about 18X but I quickly realized I have to be 20 years old for it and I can't wait an extra 2 years.. Just to be clear, I don't plan on wasting my time or anyone else's time, I've always wanted to be a Ranger. I've read horror stories about lack of espirit de corps and camaraderie in the Army and I want to be part of a group of close knit warriors who'll fight to the death together for the same paycheck everyone else gets.
Jim wrote:Welcome Luke, If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Please tell us more about yourself. Why do you want to be a Ranger Medic? Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Please self-administer a PT test and post the results on this thread in the next 72 hours' -- add pull-ups to your workout. Never, never quit!
Thanks Ranger Jim! I want to be a Ranger Medic because as well as keeping people alive I'd also like a skill that could transition to the civilian world in case I only do 4 years, although I plan on doing a full 20. One of my friends is enlisting soon as an 11X with Option 40 so assuming we make it through RASP and make it to the same battalion, it would be cool to have his back. :) I'll do that PT test as soon as possible.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Luke.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
lukey
BANNED

Post by lukey »

CharlieRanger1FFV wrote:Welcome to the site, Luke.

RLTW!!!
Thanks Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV!
Jim wrote:Please self-administer a PT test and post the results on this thread in the next 72 hours' -- add pull-ups to your workout. Never, never quit!
Push ups-32
Sit ups-36
2 mile run-17 min (But I think I ran like 2.3)
Pull ups-2 (Couldn't do them but got 2 on my last JROTC test)
I know these scores are embarassing, but a couple months ago I was doing 14 pushups and 20-something situps so I've improved a bit and I'm looking to improve a lot more over the course of the last year of high school I have to get ready.
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

lukey wrote:
CharlieRanger1FFV wrote: Push ups-32
Sit ups-36
2 mile run-17 min (But I think I ran like 2.3)
Pull ups-2 (Couldn't do them but got 2 on my last JROTC test)
I know these scores are embarassing, but a couple months ago I was doing 14 pushups and 20-something situps so I've improved a bit and I'm looking to improve a lot more over the course of the last year of high school I have to get ready.
Everyone has to start somewhere. Keep it up and never quit.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Regarding your PT although your scores suck at least you are being honest with them. I would rather see some scores like this knowing that you are being honest then some of the other scores I have seen knowing they are full of it. I will second all that Affirm has said regarding the way medics are in Battalion. Third you will not do 4 years. If you make it all the way through you will do at least 5 years with no recycle. Understand that you are signing with a 4 year contract however, once you complete SOCM (Special Operations Combat Medic) Training you are required to either extend or resign so that you are in for at least 36 months. This is due to the long time it takes to train a Ranger Medic. It is one of the hardest and as far as I am tracking still the longest path into Regiment. You go to Basic, AIT, Airborne, RASP, PreSOCM (time varies), then to SOCM (10 months). Provided you go straight through it is almost 2 years of training. Make sure you are tracking that ahead of time so you don't show up and see me and say I didn't know I owed that much time.
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
lukey
BANNED

Post by lukey »

SLEDGE HAMMER wrote:Everyone has to start somewhere. Keep it up and never quit.
I'll try my best Ranger SLEDGE HAMMER
Grim666 wrote:Regarding your PT although your scores suck at least you are being honest with them. I would rather see some scores like this knowing that you are being honest then some of the other scores I have seen knowing they are full of it. I will second all that Affirm has said regarding the way medics are in Battalion. Third you will not do 4 years. If you make it all the way through you will do at least 5 years with no recycle. Understand that you are signing with a 4 year contract however, once you complete SOCM (Special Operations Combat Medic) Training you are required to either extend or resign so that you are in for at least 36 months. This is due to the long time it takes to train a Ranger Medic. It is one of the hardest and as far as I am tracking still the longest path into Regiment. You go to Basic, AIT, Airborne, RASP, PreSOCM (time varies), then to SOCM (10 months). Provided you go straight through it is almost 2 years of training. Make sure you are tracking that ahead of time so you don't show up and see me and say I didn't know I owed that much time.
Understood, Ranger Grim666. It would be an honor to see you and any other Rangers on this site because you've all achieved something I can only play in video games. I'd be perfectly content with serving a full 20 years in USASOC. I forgot where I read it, but a retired Ranger said the worst day in special operations is still better than the best day in the big Army, and that's something I'd like to experience firsthand. I read some of the stuff the Ranger Medics on this site have posted, but why exactly is SOCM so long and difficult? Is it the academics or the physical portion?
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Didn't Ranger Grim666 give you enough of his valuable time? You didn't even bother to follow Ranger Jim's advice by using the search feature for your answer(s)? I know you didn't. Do you think you are the first 68W to ask this - no, your not. I also learned this fact long before you registered. We expect ALL Future Soldier/DEP's to search for their answers - Ranger Jim didn't give you that advice just to blow sunshine up your ass.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
lukey
BANNED

Post by lukey »

Steadfast wrote:Didn't Ranger Grim666 give you enough of his valuable time? You didn't even bother to follow Ranger Jim's advice by using the search feature for your answer(s)? I know you didn't. Do you think you are the first 68W to ask this - no, your not. I also learned this fact long before you registered. We expect ALL Future Soldier/DEP's to search for their answers - Ranger Jim didn't give you that advice just to blow sunshine up your ass.
Roger, Ranger Steadfast.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

lukey wrote:
Steadfast wrote:Didn't Ranger Grim666 give you enough of his valuable time? You didn't even bother to follow Ranger Jim's advice by using the search feature for your answer(s)? I know you didn't. Do you think you are the first 68W to ask this - no, your not. I also learned this fact long before you registered. We expect ALL Future Soldier/DEP's to search for their answers - Ranger Jim didn't give you that advice just to blow sunshine up your ass.
Roger, Ranger Steadfast.
I told you in my earlier post "Not to waste their time."

Attention to detail. It will save your life, and more importantly, the lives of others.

Start paying attention to it from this day forward, in everything you do. Whether it's your spelling and grammar here on the site, to your everyday life.

Make it a habit. Check, check and re check.

I'll do you a favor. Want a glimpse as to why the length? Read: viewtopic.php?p=735748#p735748
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”