Introduction - Steve

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

4_LOM
Embryo

Introduction - Steve

Post by 4_LOM »

Hello Rangers,

My name is Steve and I am an Army ROTC MSIV Cadet. I will be commissioning in early May as an Adjutant General branch detailed Infantry 2LT. For anyone that does not know what this entails (not stated in arrogance, just to provide some background information), this means I will be serving 2-4 years as an Infantry Officer and then go to my control branch of AG during the CCC. I have received my orders for IBOLC and I will be slotted for Ranger School. I have received my duty station as well and I am excited to enter the Army and the Infantry world. I do not want to post my class dates as I am unsure if that would break OPSEC or PERSEC.

What brings me here - I am interested in learning more about Ranger School, the 75th, and to gain more knowledge about how to be a good Officer from the Enlisted, Officer, and Retired members of this forum. I am currently focusing on the short range target which is to receive my Commission and College degree as I do not want to end my career before it starts. My medium range target is to pass IBOLC and Ranger School. And lastly, my long range target is to become a good PL and serve well as a PL.

At this stage of my life, I am not sure if I would like to attend RASP and join the 75th as I feel like I am still inexperienced and I want to establish myself as good Officer first. I want to focus on my short and medium range goals to become a good Officer before I pursue other avenues. As I gain more knowledge and experience, I believe I will be better able to decide if I want to go to my control branch of AG, attempt to stay in the Infantry, or attempt to join the 75th.

APFT - As of last week
Push-ups - 75
Sit-ups - 85
2 mile - 13:26
294/300 points

RPFT - Still need to do

12 Mile ruck - 3 weeks ago
2 hours 34 minutes - Mostly range walking but I jogged 30/60s for part of it. I want to improve my ruck time and focus mostly on range walking to prevent future injury.

I will be working out this Summer to prepare for IBOLC and Ranger school. I am focusing on rucking and running as my 2 mile run is a little short of maxing. I am altering my workout plan away from heavy lifting to overall physical fitness to prepare.

Thank you for having me,
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Introduction - Steve

Post by rangertough »

Are you a Star Wars fan? What is the origin of your screen name?
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

4_LOM wrote: At this stage of my life, I am not sure if I would like to attend RASP and join the 75th as I feel like I am still inexperienced and I want to establish myself as good Officer first. I want to focus on my short and medium range goals to become a good Officer before I pursue other avenues. As I gain more knowledge and experience, I believe I will be better able to decide if I want to go to my control branch of AG, attempt to stay in the Infantry, or attempt to join the 75th.
As much as I admire someone who is self aware, as of right now it doesn't matter if you feel you're not mature enough. You simply aren't.

That being said. Don't sell yourself short when the opportunity comes to apply to the Regiment. Maturity happens to leaders that realize they have a lot to learn. If you're conscientious and are willing to learn from other leaders in your element, including those Team Leaders you out rank as well as your CO, you'll do just fine.
Rangertough
4_LOM
Embryo

Post by 4_LOM »

rangertough wrote:Are you a Star Wars fan? What is the origin of your screen name?
Ranger rangertough,

Yes I am actually a huge Star Wars nerd. 4_LOM has been a tag I've used for certain things named after the robot bounty hunter 4_LOM (4 Love of Money). I am surprised you caught that as not many people do.
4_LOM
Embryo

Post by 4_LOM »

rangertough wrote:
4_LOM wrote: At this stage of my life, I am not sure if I would like to attend RASP and join the 75th as I feel like I am still inexperienced and I want to establish myself as good Officer first. I want to focus on my short and medium range goals to become a good Officer before I pursue other avenues. As I gain more knowledge and experience, I believe I will be better able to decide if I want to go to my control branch of AG, attempt to stay in the Infantry, or attempt to join the 75th.
As much as I admire someone who is self aware, as of right now it doesn't matter if you feel you're not mature enough. You simply aren't.

That being said. Don't sell yourself short when the opportunity comes to apply to the Regiment. Maturity happens to leaders that realize they have a lot to learn. If you're conscientious and are willing to learn from other leaders in your element, including those Team Leaders you out rank as well as your CO, you'll do just fine.
Ranger rangertough,

I have been picking the brains of all the service men and women to gain insight and their opinions. I am extremely fortunate to have a Father who retired as a 1SG. A majority of my Cadre at my ROTC program have been Infantry NCOs that served in the 101st and the 82nd and that has been a huge blessing as well.

As I gain maturity and decide in the future what career what I want to pursue whether it be 75th, stay Infantry, or go Adjutant General, most importantly I want to serve well as an Officer. I hear lots of stories about great and terrible Officers and I want to be in the former instead of the latter.

Thank you.
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

4_LOM wrote:
rangertough wrote:Are you a Star Wars fan? What is the origin of your screen name?
Ranger rangertough,

Yes I am actually a huge Star Wars nerd. 4_LOM has been a tag I've used for certain things named after the robot bounty hunter 4_LOM (4 Love of Money). I am surprised you caught that as not many people do.
The very first movie I saw was EP IV in 1977/78 with my father, I was 3-4. It was rare we got to hang out as he worked his ass off.
Rangertough
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

4_LOM wrote:
rangertough wrote:

Ranger rangertough,

I have been picking the brains of all the service men and women to gain insight and their opinions. I am extremely fortunate to have a Father who retired as a 1SG. A majority of my Cadre at my ROTC program have been Infantry NCOs that served in the 101st and the 82nd and that has been a huge blessing as well.

As I gain maturity and decide in the future what career what I want to pursue whether it be 75th, stay Infantry, or go Adjutant General, most importantly I want to serve well as an Officer. I hear lots of stories about great and terrible Officers and I want to be in the former instead of the latter.

Thank you.
It's just Rangertough.

I've found that Officers from West Point are either great or a travesty. Officers from ROTC tend to be consistently above mediocre but way more trainable. This to me is preferable because as an NCO you get fewer surprises. Also ROTC kids tend to be more mature since they've had more of a chance to "grow up".
Rangertough
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, 4_LOM.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

4_LOM wrote:
Ranger rangertough,

When I first saw LOM, I thought Lack of Motivation. Glad you clarified that up. Welcome to the site. There is a lot of knowledge and information to be gained from not only what is written on this site, but from the Rangers on this site as well. Remember, listen to those around you ( those under you and those over you), stay humble, never stop learning. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Always remember young man, experience is something we gain the day after we need it.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome, Steve. Please tell us more about yourself. Where do you go to school? Being detailed combat arms is a good way to begin your career. You want to complete Ranger School as soon as possible. I spent a lot of time on the Army Staff, and it was not unusual to see AG officers with a Ranger Tab. All them were combat arms at one time. Some were reclassified due to wounds, almost all of them wore a CIB. That should also be one of your goals while detailed Infantry. We have extensive RS information on this site -- take time to read as much as you can.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Welcome to our little corner of the intertube.

You appear to have a pretty good handle on your career, and I wish you good luck. It might be a good Idea, since you'll be hanging out at Ft. Benning anyway, to get yourself through the Basic Airborne Course....more options on unit assignment. Also, the chances of going through RASP II and into the 75th Ranger Regiment as a Second Lieutenant are very, very slim. Normally Plt. Leaders in the 75th are First Lieutenants with a very successful Plt. Leaders tour behind them. Unless you're Ralph Puckett's son....forget it.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
4_LOM
Embryo

Post by 4_LOM »

rangertough wrote:
It's just Rangertough.

I've found that Officers from West Point are either great or a travesty. Officers from ROTC tend to be consistently above mediocre but way more trainable. This to me is preferable because as an NCO you get fewer surprises. Also ROTC kids tend to be more mature since they've had more of a chance to "grow up".
My few interactions with West Point Cadets and junior Officers, I noticed that a little. A few guys from my high school went to West Point and it makes me wonder how they will be if I ever see them in the Army. I shadowed a great West Point 2LT when I did CTLT with an FA unit over the Summer. I managed to get most of my frat boy days out of my system while in college. Life is about to get real for me and I am focused on what is ahead.
4_LOM
Embryo

Post by 4_LOM »

rangerjd wrote:
4_LOM wrote:
Ranger rangertough,

When I first saw LOM, I thought Lack of Motivation. Glad you clarified that up. Welcome to the site. There is a lot of knowledge and information to be gained from not only what is written on this site, but from the Rangers on this site as well. Remember, listen to those around you ( those under you and those over you), stay humble, never stop learning. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger rangerjd,

Thank you. I have been fortunate with the fact that my ROTC BN does a lot of field training on the weekends. Mother nature seems to always give us the worst weather when we do our training but I have always enjoyed it. I am extremely motivated for IBOLC and Ranger School. From what I have learned from my Battalions history, only two LTs have been first time goes through Ranger School and I would like to be the 3rd.

There is a lot of knowledge and experience on this site and I will be reading as much as I can to prepare myself.
4_LOM
Embryo

Post by 4_LOM »

Jim wrote:Welcome, Steve. Please tell us more about yourself. Where do you go to school? Being detailed combat arms is a good way to begin your career. You want to complete Ranger School as soon as possible. I spent a lot of time on the Army Staff, and it was not unusual to see AG officers with a Ranger Tab. All them were combat arms at one time. Some were reclassified due to wounds, almost all of them wore a CIB. That should also be one of your goals while detailed Infantry. We have extensive RS information on this site -- take time to read as much as you can.
Ranger Jim,

I attend school at Old Dominion University. I did CTLT with an FA Unit and I was also allowed to shadow an AG CPT during my 3 weeks. I saw one other Captain that had a career path that is similar to mine. He did 4 years in the Infantry world, Ranger tab, CIB, Airborne. It was a great experience and he showed how his time in Combat Arms helped him better understand and appreciate the support side of the Army.

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”