Introduction - Joseph

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Yossef
Future Soldier / Opt40

Introduction - Joseph

Post by Yossef »

Hello Rangers, my name is Joseph and I am a 21 year old college student seriously interested in becoming an Army Ranger. I am studying Business and work nights full time as well. Honestly I'm really sick of the work/school grind and have wanted to join the military since I was a child. Currently I only have a few credit hours before I'm done with my Associates and I'm trying to decide whether to join now and complete those credits in the Army or finish this fall and join in 2016. Either way I'm trying to prepare for the Rangers and a have a lot of work to do.

Ranger Jim, I'm sorry I didn't post this introduction sooner, I've been lurking over the last couple weeks just getting a feel for the lay of the land here.

On a side note I'm trying to set an avatar but there's no "Newts" option in the avatar gallery drop-down. Am I missing something here?
13F OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20160106

"Five mentees report here" thread member

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Joseph

Post by Jim »

Yossef wrote:Hello Rangers, my name is Joseph and I am a 21 year old college student seriously interested in becoming an Army Ranger. I am studying Business and work nights full time as well. Honestly I'm really sick of the work/school grind and have wanted to join the military since I was a child. Currently I only have a few credit hours before I'm done with my Associates and I'm trying to decide whether to join now and complete those credits in the Army or finish this fall and join in 2016. Either way I'm trying to prepare for the Rangers and a have a lot of work to do.
Welcome Joseph, if you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We are proud of the fine young Rangers who have passed through ArmyRanger.com on their life journey. Please read the FAQs as well as select stickies and threads. Most questions have been addressed at least once. The search feature, located at the top right of this page is your friend. Please self-administer a PT test and post your result here within the next 72 hours. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Joseph.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776

Yossef
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Yossef »

Jim wrote:Please self-administer a PT test and post your result here within the next 72 hours. Never, never quit!
Push Ups: 61
Sit Ups: 63
2 Mile Run: 15:53
222/300
Palms Out Pull Ups: 5

My short term goal is to hit 80% comfortably in all areas and then of course maximize from there. Running is my weakest area but it's been ~4 years since I ran my last season HS XC so I'm confident I can get that down after a few months of dedicated training. I've dropped a minute in the last two runs.
13F OPT 40

elgecko
Ranger

Post by elgecko »

Welcome Joseph. I wouldn't plan on doing any college for the first couple of years if you do enlist with a Ranger contract as the initial pipeline (OSUT/AIT, Airborne, & RASP) can take upwards of a year by itself and then once you make it to the Ranger Regiment your only focus will be getting to Ranger School. Add a possible deployment in there as well and you can see how the time adds up quickly. If you have the means to pay for the credits you need to finish your Associates degree then I would look at that first.
Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.
-Virgil

E Co, 2/75
RS 2-15

Yossef
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Yossef »

elgecko wrote:Welcome Joseph. I wouldn't plan on doing any college for the first couple of years if you do enlist with a Ranger contract as the initial pipeline (OSUT/AIT, Airborne, & RASP) can take upwards of a year by itself and then once you make it to the Ranger Regiment your only focus will be getting to Ranger School. Add a possible deployment in there as well and you can see how the time adds up quickly. If you have the means to pay for the credits you need to finish your Associates degree then I would look at that first.
Thank you Ranger elgecko, this is the sort of advice I'm looking for. As it happens my company is currently paying for my schooling so it seemed wisest to finish with them and take advantage of that.
13F OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

You might find this link helpful, it describes what training / skills are needed in the Ranger Regiment.

http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... uiting.htm
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Welcome to the site Joseph. Read everything you can about what it takes to be a Ranger. It's not an easy choice, however it is a great choice, if you have the determination, dedication and drive. What school do you attend and where are you from? Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux

Yossef
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Yossef »

Roger Ranger Jim and Ranger rangerjd
13F OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Yossef wrote:Roger Ranger Jim and Ranger rangerjd
Yossef, You came back to the site recently. but it has been a while since we heard form you/
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Yossef
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Yossef »

Jim wrote:
Yossef wrote:Roger Ranger Jim and Ranger rangerjd
Yossef, You came back to the site recently. but it has been a while since we heard form you/
Ranger Jim, the recruiter here says I can probably get an option 40 contract for 2016 soon but I've had to wait a couple weeks for fall registration to open up as they need a letter from my school saying when I'll graduate. I'm also allergic to penicillin which I read on here was a disqualifier for option 40. My recruiter says I can get a med waiver when I go to MEPS but I'm still trying to get to the bottom of that. Aside from these I'm trying to keep my nose to the grind stone as far as PT is concerned but but the spring semester coming to a close I haven't done as well with this as I'd like. Hopefully this summer will give my time to buckle down on that.
13F OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Joseph, it has been over two months since your last post. What's up?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Yossef
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Yossef »

rangerjd wrote:What school do you attend and where are you from?
Ranger rangerjd, I'm sorry I overlooked this. I go to a community college in Chattanooga and live in North GA.
Jim wrote:Joseph, it has been over two months since your last post. What's up?
Ranger Jim, I apologize I haven't been on a while; things were stagnant for a few months while I worked with my school for a proof of graduation and enrollment letter for my recruiters. However this last week they were able to reserve for me a 13F Option 40 contract. Tomorrow I'm going up to MEPS and then will be back until school finishes in December. My ship date is for 01/06/2016 and I have a lot of work to do to be prepared.

One of the shootings here in Chattanooga happened not twenty feet from the office where I had reserved this contract two days earlier and whilst it was happening my recruiter called and told me not to come in that day, which I acquiesced to without a clue of what was going on. People here are pretty angry and I have found it has given me a since of urgency I did not previously have.
13F OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Excellent news. We have several 13F option 40 members on the site. Let us know when you take your oath. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Yossef
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Yossef »

Rangers it's official. I've signed my contract and was swore my oath on Tuesday; it was definitely a proud moment. Met another Option 40 guy at MEPS who was similarly serious and had no tolerance for the bullshit shenanigans other many others there. Many treated it like a field trip or some fun adventure while we made sure we were squared away, were everywhere we needed to be early and hit the sack early in the evening to get plenty of sleep. Even though it was MEPS and it wasn't anything hard it was a good feeling like I want to spend time with serious guys like myself who want to improve ourselves in every way possible. Honestly I wish I was shipping out now, another semester of work and school looks pretty bleak.

On a side note I signed up for a couple of GoRuck challenges coming up in October (they're 50% off atm) and was curious if anyone here has any experience/advice about the Heavy challenge in particular. I didn't find much else on the site aside from a few off-hand references.
13F OPT 40

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”