Introduction: Chris

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

chw4445
Egg

Introduction: Chris

Post by chw4445 »

Hello Rangers,

My name is Chris, and I am a 19 year old college student. I have always had the goal of becoming an Army Ranger, and am considering trying to catch an option 40 contract. I scored a 77 on the asvab, and on my last pt test I did 80 situps, 65 pushups, and ran the 2 mile in 14:50. I come from a football/weightlifting background, so my running is my weakness.

The reason I have decided to post today is because I cannot decide between ROTC and enlisting with an option 40 contract. I have been doing ROTC at my school this past semester(non scholarship), and while I enjoy it, I keep going back to my dream of becoming a Ranger. I also understand that education is very important in the world today, and getting it out of the way while I am young without a family is probably best. I have been telling myself that you can still become one as an officer later down the road, but I still keep wanting to enlist. I am in currently in the process of enlisting in the National Guard as an SMP cadet. This is going to help me pay for school, instead of a scholarship. I am getting close to the signing process, so I need to make a decision rather quickly.

One of the things that is holding me back is that I have had IT band problems the past year or so from a football injury 2 years ago. It has become painful sometimes after doing fireman carry, and similar exercises, but not from running. I know almost all of RASP will be under a ruck. So I guess I am just looking for some advice on what I should do, and If anyone else has been in a similar situation, what they did?

I appreciate the help, and hopefully I followed all the correct protocol for the introduction.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: Introduction: Chris

Post by centermass »

Welcome to the site.

Before I go any further, I need to know if this is you:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=32006
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
chw4445
Egg

Post by chw4445 »

Yes that is me, I misread the link when signing up. I realized when it asked for a parent signature. I am 19, and everything above is true.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Ok.

As there is no need for multiple accounts, I'm going to go ahead and delete that one as well.

Use the one you currently have from now on.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Chris, let's stop where we are for a moment. Just what do you really want?
a. You want to enlist as an option 40 for the 75th Ranger Regiment.
b. You want to enlist in the ARNG.
c. You want to remain enrolled in ROTC.
d. You want your injury to heal.
When you have decided what you really want, please let us know. In addition, please tell us where you live and where you are going to school. Also, why do you want to be a Ranger?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
chw4445
Egg

Post by chw4445 »

Coming out of high school, I wanted to enlist to become an army ranger. I decided to hold off and attend college. I go to Missouri state university. Once I got into college I began ROTC, and was going to enlist in the Guard, while doing rotc for the next 2.5 years in school. Most of the people do this. I am in the process of doing this, But am having second thoughts, and considering dropping out of school to enlist with an option 40. I want to be an Army Ranger because I want to do something out of the ordinary in the military, and If I am going to join, I want to attempt to become the best I can be. I want to be a Ranger, but I do not know if I should attempt to become one as a officer later down the road, or at the present. That is my biggest dilemma.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

chw4445 wrote:Coming out of high school, I wanted to enlist to become an army ranger. I decided to hold off and attend college. I go to Missouri state university. Once I got into college I began ROTC, and was going to enlist in the Guard, while doing rotc for the next 2.5 years in school. Most of the people do this. I am in the process of doing this, But am having second thoughts, and considering dropping out of school to enlist with an option 40. I want to be an Army Ranger because I want to do something out of the ordinary in the military, and If I am going to join, I want to attempt to become the best I can be. I want to be a Ranger, but I do not know if I should attempt to become one as a officer later down the road, or at the present. That is my biggest dilemma.
OK, Chris, If you want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. I was an SSG with over five years service when I went to OCS. I retired in my 30th year of service as an LTC. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

And capitalize Ranger when you use it.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”