Introduction: Evan

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

HopeFull
Embryo

Re: Introduction: Evan

Post by HopeFull »

Rangers,
Not too much has transpired since my last update. My local Army recruiter has told me that they have recently opened a large number of Infantry contracts, but none with an option 40 attached. He also said he doesn't expect one to become available until 6 months or more out. Also, A local Marine recruiter that I spoke to roughly 6 months ago contacted me asking if I was interested in a recon contract that he has with a ship date in August. Ive been contemplating my options over the past week.
PT scores
Push ups: 72
Sit ups: 89
Chin ups: 16
2 mile: 12:57
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Evan, I am biased and only have Marine friends that didn't enjoy what they do. I considered Marines when I was enlisting. I am really happy I went with Army... The Army doesn't do well in Uniforms or commercials.... but unless you are Artillery (I am!) you aren't fighting a war right now in the Marines.

The Army has a lot more room for progression and advancement. If you want to be a Marine, do that. But you mentioned the Army. It's a much better choice... and you are on an Army site so I am biased as hell :)

Great PT scores by the way.... Very well done over the last few years.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
HopeFull
Embryo

Post by HopeFull »

Ranger Disinfertention, if I do enlist in one branch over the other and end up realizing it's not the one for me, would the option of going into the other branch as a prior-service enlisted be possible; or is that possibility more or less dependent on how great the need for troops is at that time? Also, thank you for the compliment on my PT scores, constantly working to improve upon them has been very important to me over the past few years.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

It is possible to be done but various types of restrictions will be in place which usually include type of contract and jobs that you can get to. You would need to talk to a career counselor once you were in the military about that to get more information and understand the options. The job openings to prior service or people trying to switch branches change pending on what that branch needs.

Please note I am speaking from limited experience on that one. Just know that it can be done but there may be issues with it.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Evan. I have served with a number of USMC members. I prefer the Army world; the Army Ranger world to be more specific. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
HopeFull
Embryo

Post by HopeFull »

Good evening Rangers,
It has been roughly a year since my last post, and I wanted to update on what has happened in my life. I ended up enlisting in the Marine Corps, and now am currently a week away from being sent to MART (Marines Awaiting Recon Training). I logged on because I wanted to thank every Ranger who had helped me from the time I was a young fat kid who couldn't even read the Fourm's age restriction, to the point I am at now. Although I ended up not enlisting in the Army the words "Never, never quit" had been etched in my psyche and will continue to be what I strive to follow. Thank you all.

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”