Introduction: Alex

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

JDA
Egg

Introduction: Alex

Post by JDA »

Greetings Rangers and other members,

My name is Alex and I am interested in enlisting into the United States Army as a member of the 75th Ranger Regiment. I'm twenty two years old and just finished college with a degree in Criminology. While in school I had the opportunity to take ROTC classes for two semesters and graduated from the Fort Benning Air Assault School in 2012. Now that I have finished my schooling my focus has been on PT, the ASVAB, and getting the recruitment process started. Below is my most recent self administered PT score. I will be taking another this week once the track clears up from the snow.

APFT 20JAN2015
Push ups- 60
Sit ups- 81
2 Mile- 12:25
Pull ups- 20

A few weeks ago I was able to have an informal meeting with a recruiter as a walk in (despite having set up an appointment). He threw a lot of misinformation my way, but I was eventually able to get him to see that I was interested in an 11x Option 40. He repeatedly told me that Option 40 contracts have been increasingly more rare. While I do understand that 11x Option 40 contracts have been hard to come by recently, I'm not willing to settle on this goal. Admittedly, the lack of contracts has me nervous. I will be meeting the recruiter again this week and will update with any new information.

Lastly, I would like to thank the members of this site for continuing to contribute to such a useful and interactive source for individuals like myself to learn from.

-Alex
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction: Alex

Post by Jim »

Welcome Alex, A man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. So far, you are doing well. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Your PT scores leave room for improvement. Please tell us more about yourself. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Never, never quit!

This link should be helpful:http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75thranger/
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

Welcome Alex. It looks like you're on the right track with regards to your recruiter. Don't settle for anything less than what you desire. Good luck, never quit!
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Welcome Alex, remember, that to a recruiter, a lot of time you are nothing more than a quota. Good job sticking to your guns, continue to do so. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
JDA
Egg

Post by JDA »

Ranger Jim,

I grew up in a military family and knew that I would eventually like to go into the military at some capacity. I joined ROTC without a clear cut idea of what I wanted to do and spent a lot of time researching possible military jobs. Not long after looking into the 75th Ranger Regiment I became seriously interested in enlisting with an Option 40. Having already been in college for a few semesters, I decided to finish school and enlist afterwards. In high school I played football and ran track/cross country. While in college I played intramural sports and was part of the ROTC competition team.

Below is my updated PT results (it is my understanding that push ups are usually the most harshly graded event. To keep myself from counting bad reps I record myself conducting the two minutes of push ups and have my roommate, a cadet, give me an assessment of my form).

APFT 04FEB2015
Push ups- 63
Sit ups- 83
2 Mile- 11:58
Pull ups- 20

Ranger jd and Ranger SLEDGE HAMMER,

Thank you for your replies, I will keep your advice in mind. I do not have much of an update from the recruiting as I am waiting on some source documents to be mailed to me in order to continue with process. I did take the ASVAB practice this week at the recruiting office and scored an 82. I'll admit I was a little underwhelmed with my score, but it's good motivation to keep studying and practicing before taking the official version.

-Alex
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Alex.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
gRavepc
Ranger

Post by gRavepc »

How come you want to go to the enlisted side of the house, instead of commisioning?
Bco 3/75 08-11' Death Angels
TCCC/LTT instructor - SIMMEC Training Solutions 11-14
7232nd MSU Fort Hood, TX 14-Present
"Doc, I feel a bunch of warm stuff going down my body..."

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”