11x Option 40 Contract vs. Bachelor's Degree

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Hercules
Embryo

11x Option 40 Contract vs. Bachelor's Degree

Post by Hercules »

I have an important decision to make. I could enlist right now with an Option 40 contract, 11x MOS, and I could get my Bachelor's Degree while I'm on active duty, or I could finish my Bachelor's Degree first. After that, I would go to OCS and become an officer immediately. I can't decide what to do, so I was wondering if you guys could give a little insight on the matter.
"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."
- Malvolio

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."
- Winston Churchill
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: 11x Option 40 Contract vs. Bachelor's Degree

Post by Jim »

Hercules wrote:I have an important decision to make. I could enlist right now with an Option 40 contract, 11x MOS, and I could get my Bachelor's Degree while I'm on active duty, or I could finish my Bachelor's Degree first. After that, I would go to OCS and become an officer immediately. I can't decide what to do, so I was wondering if you guys could give a little insight on the matter.
Hercules, Your initial post should be your introduction. Accordingly,, I moved your post to the introduction thread. Once you have posted an introduction, we can address your question.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Hercules
Embryo

Post by Hercules »

I don't know if you would like me to make another thread for my introduction, but since you moved my thread I'm going to make the inference that it's okay to continue my introduction on this one.

Hercules' Introduction:

Hello, my name is Michael. I'm seventeen years old, and I currently attend community college. I am not a high school graduate, but I do have a GED. I'm interested in joining the US Army because I would like to enjoy my job, while also serving my country. I don't know if being an Army Ranger will be my end-goal, but at the moment it intrigues me and it's in the special operations pipeline which I'm interested in taking.

I hope this introduction is adequate, if not, I will happily edit it to your liking.
"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."
- Malvolio

- Winston Churchill
gRavepc
Ranger

Post by gRavepc »

Welcome Herc,
I know when I came in ('07), you could only get an opt.40 contract with a high school diploma. GED holders had to go the long way to RASP, IE; Big Army and then put in a 4187 for RASP. It may have changed though.
Bco 3/75 08-11' Death Angels
TCCC/LTT instructor - SIMMEC Training Solutions 11-14
7232nd MSU Fort Hood, TX 14-Present
"Doc, I feel a bunch of warm stuff going down my body..."
Hercules
Embryo

Post by Hercules »

gRavepc wrote:Welcome Herc,
I know when I came in ('07), you could only get an opt.40 contract with a high school diploma. GED holders had to go the long way to RASP, IE; Big Army and then put in a 4187 for RASP. It may have changed though.
Thank you for warm welcome Ranger gRavepc.

After intensive research online I came to the conclusion that I would probably never find my answer. At the moment, I'm waiting until I'm completely done with my packet, so my recruiter could find out if I do need my diploma or not. For the time being I'm trying to get enough college credits to be considered a tier 1 candidate (high school graduate or the equivalent), so if I do happen to need my diploma, then I won't have to go through the hassle.

That extra information about being a 'tier 1 candidate' is intended for someone who doesn't know what that is, just so you know.
- Malvolio

- Winston Churchill
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Hercules wrote: After intensive research online I came to the conclusion that I would probably never find my answer. At the moment, I'm waiting until I'm completely done with my packet, so my recruiter could find out if I do need my diploma or not. For the time being I'm trying to get enough college credits to be considered a tier 1 candidate (high school graduate or the equivalent), so if I do happen to need my diploma, then I won't have to go through the hassle.

That extra information about being a 'tier 1 candidate' is intended for someone who doesn't know what that is, just so you know.
You are required to earn at least 15 Semester Hours of college-level credits. Your recruiter should know that. In addition, you may find this link helpful.

http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... uiting.htm
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

If you get a bachelor's degree then what ? Without an additional plan and motivation you will join the long line of unemployed college grads with nothing special to offer collectively known as Millennials.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Hercules
Embryo

Post by Hercules »

Flesh Thorn wrote:If you get a bachelor's degree then what ? Without an additional plan and motivation you will join the long line of unemployed college grads with nothing special to offer collectively known as Millennials.
I guess I didn't make my plan clear enough. If I went for my Bachelor's Degree first, then I would join the US Army as an Infantry Officer (hopefully) and work my way into Special Operations from there. I'm motivated to do either or, but I just wanted some insight.
- Malvolio

- Winston Churchill
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I did not read your post well the first time. Good luck with whatever you decide. Sorry I can not give you any sound advice other than good things don't often come easy.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Hercules wrote:I guess I didn't make my plan clear enough. If I went for my Bachelor's Degree first, then I would join the US Army as an Infantry Officer (hopefully) and work my way into Special Operations from there. I'm motivated to do either or, but I just wanted some insight.
If you read my signature, I have as much experience as anyone. You, on the other hand, did not do a very good job of explaining your question. Sit down, think about what you want to know and post your question on this thread.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

Presumably if you're 17 you just started going to college?
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Hercules, you sound confused and not sure whether you want this or not. I can tell you that if you are not ready to focus 110% of all your energies into becoming a Ranger then you will not make it. To be a Ranger is to commit to be the best that you can be, both physically and mentally. If you are not willing to go all the way in, then stay all the way out. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Hercules
Embryo

Post by Hercules »

I hope it's okay if I respond to both of in one post.
SLEDGE HAMMER wrote:Presumably if you're 17 you just started going to college?
Well Ranger SLEDGE HAMMER, before I got my GED I did a program at the community college to get both high school credits and college credits, so that helped a little. I'm basically at the start though.
rangerjd wrote:Hercules, you sound confused and not sure whether you want this or not. I can tell you that if you are not ready to focus 110% of all your energies into becoming a Ranger then you will not make it. To be a Ranger is to commit to be the best that you can be, both physically and mentally. If you are not willing to go all the way in, then stay all the way out. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit. RLTW
I apologize rangerjd (I don't know if I should capitalize), I don't think my question was clear enough to begin with, so I may sound confused, but I can assure you that this is what I want. I will become an officer in the US Army, I will get into the special operations pipeline and I will give it my all.

What I need help with is the decision between enlisting now and becoming an officer while being an Army Ranger, or finishing college first and going straight in as an officer.

If that isn't clear enough, than maybe I am confused and I need to do more research, but hopefully you guys get my point.
- Malvolio

- Winston Churchill
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jim wrote:
Hercules wrote:I guess I didn't make my plan clear enough. If I went for my Bachelor's Degree first, then I would join the US Army as an Infantry Officer (hopefully) and work my way into Special Operations from there. I'm motivated to do either or, but I just wanted some insight.
If you read my signature, I have as much experience as anyone. You, on the other hand, did not do a very good job of explaining your question. Sit down, think about what you want to know and post your question on this thread.
I am one of the few on the site who served several years enlisted service before I went to OCS. I had the opportunity to go to college and earn my undergraduate degree. That worked for me, and I know several Rangers who left active duty and went to college. You indicated that you want to go SOF; what language skills do you have? This issue has been discussed several times on the board and I suggest you check out the search feature to assist you. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Hercules
Embryo

Post by Hercules »

Jim wrote:
Jim wrote:
I am one of the few on the site who served several years enlisted service before I went to OCS. I had the opportunity to go to college and earn my undergraduate degree. That worked for me, and I know several Rangers who left active duty and went to college. You indicated that you want to go SOF; what language skills do you have? This issue has been discussed several times on the board and I suggest you check out the search feature to assist you. Never, never quit!
Thank you Ranger Jim. To be honest, my language skills are limited. Although, I do know a fair amount of Spanish, I can not speak it fluently. I plan on taking Arabic while attending university, while also learning Spanish from my family members. Spanish comes very easily to me, so I don't think it will hinder my progress with Arabic. When I feel proficient in Arabic, I will then continue on to Russian.

I will definitely use your advice and use the search function. Thank you once again.
- Malvolio

- Winston Churchill

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”