Introduction: James

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

JamesJ207
Embryo

Introduction: James

Post by JamesJ207 »

Hi I'm James, I'm 17 and I attend high school in east Harlem as a senior, I grew up in the Bronx and i'm currently unemployed. Ever since middle school i've always wanted to join the Armed Forces , originally I wanted to become a pilot with my friend Shaun in the navy , he stuck with his idea but i've changed mine dozens of times. It wasn't until recently that I decided to try to become a 11b Airborne Ranger. I think a major reason for me wanting to join the military was mostly because of the idea of being independent. My father was a great guy, I lived with him on the weekends with my sister, who thought me my core values and morals and i wouldn't be the person I m today without him. Although he was a drug dealer and a killer he had a heart of gold. I never saw any evil in him and he did one hell of a job pulling over the curtains on me and my sister. He never talked about what he did or did any of it around us on the weekends when we were there and he made sure everyone acted right when we were around, we lived on 183rd on Davidson, a infamously known Blood infested area, hell i didn't even know that till i was in my teens! I couldn't have asked for a better childhood it was great with my Dad. When I was 8 he was deported to Ecuador because of our upstairs neighbor who was having a party and a gun discharged. The home was quickly swatted and my Dad was arrested. My Dad refused to be compliant with the authorities and the neighbor didn't see any jail time. As the bullet ended up in the basement with a hole in the ceiling and my dad being the super it didn't look so good. The guy who caused this told me Dad that he would forever look out for him and his kids, he didn't. When I saw my dad for the last time i didn't cry because i was sad, I cried because i got to see him again and was just so excited, I was okay with him leaving,he had already taught me so much. The house was destroyed and the remains are still there on google maps. After my Dad left things got worse and worst for my mom, although they had divorced years ago she felt the impact. My sister became a problem child who ran away twice and started to flunk school, and eventually dropped out of high school to do her own thing in the bronx and live a street life. Our step dad lived with us but left when my mom kicked him out when he had cheated on her. When my sister ran away my mom loss some of her welfare benefits and with out our step dad and my dad we couldn't pay the rent anymore. We loss our apartment after being there for years. My mom wanted to go into a shelter but i refused so we moved in with my aunt for a year. This was around 8th grade, my mom moved out of my aunts and into a shelter and i stayed with my aunt for my first two years of highschool. I dressed bummy because yes i was poor i've always been in poverty after my Dad had left. Around the start of sophmore year my mom had won a lawsuit over something i don't wanna get into on my part. An inequity was set up and i'm going to receive a lump sum when i turn 18. My mom didn't try to talk to me after we were homeless up until this. Ever since then i've been nothing but a paycheck, hell I've been a paycheck my whole life, I've never once seen any of that tax return money that supposedly helps a mom care for her kids, at the end of sophmore year one morning i was late and still in the house, my aunt thought i had left to school and i discovered my aunt was only housing me because of the money i'd be getting and she wanted a cut, I moved back in with my mom who was now living in midtown manhattan with my step dad again. That's where im staying now but there's always the struggle of money and my mom talking about how i have to give her some of my lup sum and how she wants to make plans to spend all my cash. I'm tired of my family and I'm tired of being poor, I wanna start my life and escape this shit hole. I haven't taken the ASVAB yet or spoken to a recruiter ( I will get around to this very soon). I came to this site because i'd like to stick with my goal of one day being a Ranger and this seems like a good place to start. I don't workout too often so I don't really have an idea of what type of workout regimen I should use and any help would be greatly appreciated, and if you do help you won't regret it, I won't quit.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: Introduction: James

Post by centermass »

James,

Quite the introduction. From what I've read, you've obviously been through a lot.

Before you do anything else or post anything else, the very first thing I want you to do is to go back, proof read your introduction. Then I want you to spell check it first, and then, break it up into paragraphs, and make it easier to read.

You won't be able to edit it within the forum, so, just copy and paste it into a new post and edit it there.

First impressions say a lot. So does attention to detail.

Welcome to armyranger.com.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
JamesJ207
Embryo

Post by JamesJ207 »

Hi I'm James, I'm 17 and I attend high school in east Harlem as a senior, I grew up in the Bronx and I'm currently unemployed. Ever since middle school I've always wanted to join the Armed Forces , originally I wanted to become a pilot with my friend Shaun in the navy , he stuck with his idea but I've changed mine dozens of times. It wasn't until recently that I decided to try to become a 11b Airborne Ranger. I think a major reason for me wanting to join the military was mostly because of the idea of being independent.

My father was a great guy, I lived with him on the weekends with my sister, who taught me my core values and morals and I wouldn't be the person I am today without him. Although he was a drug dealer and a killer he had a heart of gold. I never saw any evil in him and he did one hell of a job pulling over the curtains on me and my sisters eyes. He never talked about what he did or did any of it around us on the weekends when we were there and he made sure everyone acted right when we were around, we lived on 183rd on Davidson, a infamously known Blood infested area, hell I didn't even know that until I was in my teens! I couldn't have asked for a better childhood it was great with my Dad around. When I was 8 he was deported to Ecuador because of our upstairs neighbor who was having a party and a gun discharged. The home was quickly swatted and my Dad was arrested. My Dad refused to be compliant with the authorities and the neighbor didn't see any jail time. As the bullet ended up in the basement with a hole in the ceiling and my dad being the super, it didn't look so good. The guy who caused this told me Dad that he would forever look out for him and his kids, he didn't. When I saw my dad for the last time i didn't cry because I was sad, I cried because I got to see him again and was just so excited, I was okay with him leaving, since he had already taught me so much. The house was destroyed and the remains are still there on Google maps.

After my Dad left things got worse and worse for my mother, although they had divorced years ago she still felt the impact. My sister became a problem child who ran away twice and started to flunk school, and eventually dropped out of high school to do her own thing in the Bronx and live a street life. Our step dad lived with us but left when my mom kicked him out when she had found out he had cheated on her. As a result of my sister running away my mom loss some of her welfare benefits and without our step dad and my fathers child support we couldn't pay the rent anymore. We loss our apartment after being there for years. My mom wanted to go into a shelter but i refused so we moved in with my aunt for a year.

Around 8th grade my mom moved out of my aunts and into a shelter and I stayed with my aunt for my first two years of high school. I dressed bummy because indeed I was poor, My Family has always been in poverty since my Dad had left. Around the start of sophomore year my mom had won a lawsuit over something i don't wanna get into on my part. An inequity was set up so that I’d receive a lump sum when I turn 18. My mom didn't try to talk to me after she left my aunt’s home up until this. Ever since then I've been nothing but a paycheck, hell I've been a paycheck my whole life. I've never once seen any of that tax return money that supposedly helps a mom care for her kids, at the end of sophomore year one morning I was late and still in the house, my aunt thought i had left to school and i discovered my aunt was only housing me because of the money i'd be getting and she wanted a cut, I moved back in with my mom who was now living in midtown Manhattan with my step dad again. That's where I'm staying now but there's always the struggle of money and my mom talking about how i have to give her some of my lump sum and how she wants to make plans to spend all my cash.

I'm tired of my family and I'm tired of being poor, and I plan on escaping poverty. I want to start my life and escape this shit hole. I haven't taken the ASVAB yet or spoken to a recruiter ( I will get around to this very soon). I came to this site because i'd like to stick with my goal of one day being a Ranger and this seems like a good place to start. I don't workout too often so I don't really have an idea of what type of workout regimen I should use and any help would be greatly appreciated, and if you do help you won't regret it, I won't quit.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome James, If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Within the next 72 hours, please self administer a PT Test, and post it on this thread; add pull-ups to your report. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Never, never quit!

You may find this thread helpful:
http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... uiting.htm
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Welcome James, the fact that you followed Ranger Centermass's instructions so quickly tells me a lot about your ability to follow instruction and your desire to want to do the right thing. A Ranger always gives his best (100% and then some) no matter what the task, whether it's writing a letter or destroying an enemy position. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
JamesJ207
Embryo

Post by JamesJ207 »

Roger that Ranger Jd!

Thanks Ranger MachuV won't let the advice i get go to waste. I did my PT today, I ran on the FDR not alot of other runners during this time of year it seems, I've got access to the free park gyms around the city.

Push ups: 28
Sit ups:35
Pull ups: 9
2 Mile run: 14:37

Looks like I've got a lot of room for improvement Ranger Jim.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

JamesJ207 wrote:
Push ups: 28
Sit ups:35
Pull ups: 9
2 Mile run: 14:37

Looks like I've got a lot of room for improvement Ranger Jim.
James, you have established your PT baseline, you now have a basis to measure your improvement. Time is on your side; at least for the moment. Did you check the link I sent? It should give you and idea of what lies ahead. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
JamesJ207
Embryo

Post by JamesJ207 »

I did Ranger Jim, thanks for the link!
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, James.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
JamesJ207
Embryo

Post by JamesJ207 »

I weight 155 and I'm 5'9 Ranger MachuV.
JamesJ207
Embryo

Post by JamesJ207 »

Here are my PT results:

2 mile: 13:29
Push ups: 52
Sit ups: 41
Pull ups: 10

I'm improving a lot and this is only the beginning haha.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

You have a ways to go yet, but with your determination, you'll get there. Memorize the Ranger Creed and start living it.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

What is going on? You have not posted for almost a month. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”