Introduction - Bryan

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

horizon
Egg

Introduction - Bryan

Post by horizon »

Hello all,

My name is Bryan, and currently a freshman (18 years old) attending NC State. My current plan is to obtain a dual degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering. I've always thought about joining the Military (more specifically Army), but the idea has always been shot down pretty quickly either by my father or friends. I've actually been recently looking into it more and more as of recent, and (even with multiple people advising me not to with a degree) looking at something such as 11x option 40.

My main purpose of being on this site is to just gather information and make an educated decision that is still fairly far away.

Thank you all.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Bryan

Post by Jim »

horizon wrote: My name is Bryan, and currently a freshman (18 years old) attending NC State. My current plan is to obtain a dual degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering. I've always thought about joining the Military (more specifically Army), but the idea has always been shot down pretty quickly either by my father or friends. I've actually been recently looking into it more and more as of recent, and (even with multiple people advising me not to with a degree) looking at something such as 11x option 40.

My main purpose of being on this site is to just gather information and make an educated decision that is still fairly far away.
Welcome, Bryan, If you want to learn about earning a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Please self-administer a PT test within the next 72 hours and post the results on this thread. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
horizon
Egg

Post by horizon »

Ranger Jim,

Thank you for the info, I hope to learn a great deal from this forum.

My PT is currently pretty terrible, especially if I want to go this route. This is the main thing that I'll be progressively working on throughout my next three and a half years at college.
Push Ups: 45
Sit Ups: 55
2 Mile: 13:50
horizon
Egg

Post by horizon »

Apologies, I forgot to add pull ups.
Pull ups: 8
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Bryan.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Welcome, Bryan. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Push Ups: 45
Sit Ups: 55
2 Mile: 13:50
Pull up: 8
OK. Bryan, you have now established a PT baseline to build on. Please tell us more about yourself. Where do you live and go to school? Have you considered the advantages of spending a couple years on active duty and then attending school on the GI Bill? Never, never quiit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
horizon
Egg

Post by horizon »

Thank you to Ranger rangerjd and Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV for the warm welcome.

Ranger Jim,

I currently attend North Carolina State University in Raleigh as a Freshman and as of now I'm headed to get an Electrical Engineering degree (as well as in Computer Engineering). When I'm not at college I live about an hour north of Charlotte, NC. I have considered the possibility of going active prior to college; however, one thing that my father was adamant about was that if I do decide to go military, that I get a degree beforehand. This is mainly due to him joining the army straight out of high school and never getting a degree, and he is suffering in the long term because of it. I also can't really argue with him because I understand his side, as well as my parents are paying for the majority of my costs at college.

Background:
I have a relatively introverted personality; however, around the right people/group I do pretty well. I've always done great in school and have had a thing for electronics and computers. At first my sights were set on Computer Science, but then I took a few courses and experienced it and disliked it more and more. I then decided to try out the hardware side of things and loved it. My hobbies just about entail computers, scuba diving, and shooting. I've been into firearms for quite some time as well, mainly due to growing up in a rural area and my father have the same passion. I never really did shoot as much as he or I liked, though, due to him being either out of state or overseas. When my dad is home, he is a volunteer firefighter at the local department, and all of my brothers including me have been through it as well. From 16-18 I volunteered there and immediately knew that it was another one of my interests. It is just something about the camaraderie and brotherhood that reels me in. The adrenaline rushes don't hurt either, haha. I've never really known what exactly it is that I want to do after college, so I'm try to expand my options and then narrow them down as I get closer to that time.

Joining the military has been in the back of my mind for some time, and I started to research it and find out more about three months ago, and at this time I've heavily considered it after college. This has also led to me receiving flak for not wanting to go the officer route or just go into a civilian job where pay would be much better. I'm not really sure why, but everything I have read about officer positions just hasn't appealed to me, and I'm not sure if I could keep my sanity with a 9-5, 5 days a week desk job, regardless of pay. The Army has always been at the top of the branches that I've considered, which I guess is just some influence from my father, other than that I'm not too sure why. I've looked into some MOS's such as 15E/W and definitely 11x, but most of the other ones that come to mind (Signal) weren't very attractive. Along with these MOS's I noticed the option 40 for possibly going straight into the Ranger Battalion. Everything added together and this just felt right, but I still have quite some time to consider.

Thank you again for your time,
Bryan
Constantine
Embryo

Post by Constantine »

Hey Horizon,
If I could offer any input I highly suggest checking out the ROTC program at NCSU, they are a top school for pumping out Officers of distinction, including Major General William C. Lee whom is known as the "Father of the Airborne" and was the first commander of the 101st paratroopers.
I did the full military science 1 at NCSU through Wake Tech and I had the time of my life.. So far.

It gives you an idea of how its going to be as an officer and its a great opportunity for figuring out whether the military way of life is for you. Like you, the officer life doesn't appeal to me, but talk to the cadre there. Captain Haynes would be the one to talk to, just go up through the main steps of the gym (faces the soccer field with nation's colors out front) and take a left, it'll be the first door on your left. On your right you'll see plaques of the men like Major General Lee.

The chain of command there is solid. I forget the names of most but the MSG there was a tough dude but liked me for some reason and told me several stories of his time in war. First sergeant Ramos is also a solid NCO. These guys taught me a lot on our FTX's and made sure if we made mistakes they would not happen a second time. Also the LTC (wore the Black and Gold) would come out and my squad received pointers from him during movement to contact drills. Shoot, I love rememberin it and how much more of a little kid I was then.
I can't wait for my enlistment..

The greatest part I took away from my time there was realizing the importance of the uniform, and what it means to dawn it.
Anyway too much info as always, hope you check it out and I'm lookin forward to seeing how your route progresses.
Best of Luck,
-Smith
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Constantine wrote:Hey Horizon,
If I could offer any input I highly suggest checking out the ROTC program at NCSU, they are a top school for pumping out Officers of distinction, including Major General William C. Lee whom is known as the "Father of the Airborne" and was the first commander of the 101st paratroopers.
I did the full military science 1 at NCSU through Wake Tech and I had the time of my life.. So far.

It gives you an idea of how its going to be as an officer and its a great opportunity for figuring out whether the military way of life is for you. Like you, the officer life doesn't appeal to me, but talk to the cadre there. Captain Haynes would be the one to talk to, just go up through the main steps of the gym (faces the soccer field with nation's colors out front) and take a left, it'll be the first door on your left. On your right you'll see plaques of the men like Major General Lee.

The chain of command there is solid. I forget the names of most but the MSG there was a tough dude but liked me for some reason and told me several stories of his time in war. First sergeant Ramos is also a solid NCO. These guys taught me a lot on our FTX's and made sure if we made mistakes they would not happen a second time. Also the LTC (wore the Black and Gold) would come out and my squad received pointers from him during movement to contact drills. Shoot, I love rememberin it and how much more of a little kid I was then.
I can't wait for my enlistment..

The greatest part I took away from my time there was realizing the importance of the uniform, and what it means to dawn it.
Anyway too much info as always, hope you check it out and I'm lookin forward to seeing how your route progresses.
Best of Luck,
-Smith
Constantine, Please follow my instructions and read the rules. If you want to communicate with one of the other future soldiers. use a PM. This is a great way to get yourself banned.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Constantine
Embryo

Post by Constantine »

Understood Ranger Jim, it won't happen again.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Constantine wrote:Understood Ranger Jim, it won't happen again.
Your answer should have been, "Roger, Ranger Jim."
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Constantine
Embryo

Post by Constantine »

Roger, Ranger Jim.
Ginger
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Ginger »

Welcome Bryan!

PM inbound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11X OPT. 40
SHIP DATE: 20150713

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com. Your desire of becoming an Army Ranger is appreciated. Please read and heed the ROE PM I just sent you and NEVER QUIT!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”