Introduction - Isaiah

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Mungi671
Future Soldier / Opt40

Introduction - Isaiah

Post by Mungi671 »

Hello, my name is Isaiah.

I am a 16 year old High School Senior. I was born on and currently live on the Pacific island of Guam. My retired father was enlisted in the Navy, so I've spent most of my life living here and on the east coast of the United States. The first time I ever displayed an interest in the military was 4 years ago when I became a member of the Army JROTC program. This program has greatly impacted my life by showing me the importance of integrity, leadership, and taking the initiative.

For the past few years I've read up on everything and anything that I could find that involves the U.S. Army, Infantryman, and most especially the Army Rangers. So I would like to personally thank the community of this forum as it has been a priceless resource of information. It isn't my intention to leave the impression of a naive boy who will continue the collection of introduction threads of people who never made it. I refuse to let that scenario become an option towards an easy life.

I have scheduled to take the ASVAB with my recruiter in December. When I graduate from High School, I plan on enlisting in the U.S. Army at the age of 17 (with parental consent of course). I have hopes of becoming an 11X Option 40 recruit. I understand that any task is easier said than done. I also know that the proof is in the action.

Most of my inspiration comes from my Army instructor. He was an 11B Infantryman and retired at the rank of SFC. He has been a great role model for me and I can truthfully say that he has had more of an impact on my life than anybody else. He has told me stories of how wearing that baby blue cord has shaped him into the man he is today. He didn't make it through RIP, and it always puzzled me how a man that I always pictured as the epitome of a rock hard soldier got dropped from the course. In his story he literally described getting into battalion the equivalent of dying and going to heaven. It is this reason that I have incredible respect for every Ranger. I told my instructor that one day he will point to my picture on his wall and say "That guy made it". He smirked and said, "I'll believe it when I see it". This promise is what drives me and I will fulfill it at any cost.

I know that RASP will be the hardest challenge that I have ever faced, but it will not be the hardest challenge in my life. Every day as a Ranger will be a greater challenge and I yearn for the privilege to fight alongside the greatest warriors this world has to offer. I also know that becoming a Ranger will not magically make me an exceptional individual, i must do that for myself. Every day I work to improve myself physically, mentally, and morally. I must never quit. Every day is a day closer to the moment I have the immense honor of wearing the Ranger scroll and the Tan Beret, until that day I continue to develop into a man worthy of doing so.

My PT scores leave a lot of room for improvement.
2 Minute Push Ups - 63
2 Minute Sit Ups - 60
Pull Ups - 14
2 Mile Run - 13:30

Thank you for your time.
11X
Ship Date 20150908
rangerjd
Ranger

Re: Introduction - Isaiah

Post by rangerjd »

Welcome Isaiah, you have a hard but noble task ahead of you. Your goals are achievable if you remember one thing, NEVER, EVER QUIT. Give everything you've got every time you give. I've known several Rangers in the 75th Ranger Regiment from the Island of Guam, the most notable would be CSM (R) Leon-Guerrero, one of the most well known and well respected Rangers in the history of the Rangers. He is truly a man among men and a member of the Ranger Hall of Fame. I would like you to do a search on CSM (R) Leon-Guerrero and post on here what you have learned. Never, ever quit. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Agree with what rangerjd says. Over the years, I had the good fortune to serve with a number of very fine young men from Guam. Some of the finest NCOs and soldiers I've seen! Very high standards!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

bobdub wrote:
Mungi671 wrote:Hello, my name is Isaiah.

"It isn't my intention to leave the impression of a naive boy who will continue the collection of introduction threads of people who never made it. I refuse to let that scenario become an option towards an easy life."

"I told my instructor that one day he will point to my picture on his wall and say "That guy made it". He smirked and said, "I'll believe it when I see it". This promise is what drives me and I will fulfill it at any cost."
Hello Isaiah. I am not a Ranger or even a soldier, but I am probably one of those naive failures that has an easy life that you are referring to. I'll tell you right now - walk a mile in someone else's shoes before jumping to such extreme conclusions. Have you ever dug ditches as fast as you can for an entire week with someone yelling at you? Have you even dug a hole before? And I am not talking about the one you are digging yourself with that statement. And that's not even the beginning of how difficult my plumbing job is. It's also a lot easier to join the Army when you have 0 commitments tying you down.

Also, when you do something in life, do it for yourself. Not to make someone else respect you. You may be setting yourself up to be discontent. You could win the medal of honor and still get no respect. Your desire of self-improvement is a much better reason to do it. Having respect from your instructor one day should just be icing on the cake, if it ever happens, not the main source of motivation.

I wish you the best of luck with your goals
My father was my hero in life. He was the toughest, hardest, kindest man I ever knew. He was there for me in everything I did in life. Every mile I walked, every muddy hole I crawled through, every moment of suck, it was him that kept me going, not wanting to let him down. Sure I wanted for myself, but I also wanted it for him, so I could be something special, someone special, like he was special to me. He is no longer with us, but he told me several times how proud he was of me for the life I had made for myself, not just in the military, but as a success in the civilian world, also. It is okay to have someone to look up to in life, regardless of who that someone is, if they motivate you then use that to your advantage. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

bobdub wrote:
Mungi671 wrote:Hello, my name is Isaiah.

"It isn't my intention to leave the impression of a naive boy who will continue the collection of introduction threads of people who never made it. I refuse to let that scenario become an option towards an easy life."

"I told my instructor that one day he will point to my picture on his wall and say "That guy made it". He smirked and said, "I'll believe it when I see it". This promise is what drives me and I will fulfill it at any cost."
Hello Isaiah. I am not a Ranger or even a soldier, but I am probably one of those naive failures that has an easy life that you are referring to. I'll tell you right now - walk a mile in someone else's shoes before jumping to such extreme conclusions. Have you ever dug ditches as fast as you can for an entire week with someone yelling at you? Have you even dug a hole before? And I am not talking about the one you are digging yourself with that statement. And that's not even the beginning of how difficult my plumbing job is. It's also a lot easier to join the Army when you have 0 commitments tying you down.

Also, when you do something in life, do it for yourself. Not to make someone else respect you. You may be setting yourself up to be discontent. You could win the medal of honor and still get no respect. Your desire of self-improvement is a much better reason to do it. Having respect from your instructor one day should just be icing on the cake, if it ever happens, not the main source of motivation.

I wish you the best of luck with your goals
Get back in your lane. The Rangers of this site will determine what is right or wrong with any visitors coming here, we don't need your help.

Any bullshitting between DEPS or Wannabes will be done by PM and not in the open.

DEP Mod Ginger, you better square these turds away sooner rather than later.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Mungi671
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Mungi671 »

Thank you all for the warm welcome

Ranger rangerjd, I did a bit of research on CSM Leon Guerrero.
I found that he enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1966. After two tours in Vietnam he served as a Drill and Senior Drill Sergeant. CSM Leon Guerrero touched every enlisted rank and held various positions during his time as an NCO. Including Assistant Operations Sergeant, Platoon Sergeant, First Sergeant, and Command Sergeant Major of the 1st and 2nd Ranger Battalion. CSM Leon Guerrero retired as the Regimental Command Sergeant Major of the 75th Ranger Regiment on February 1993. He was inducted into the Ranger Hall of Fame on June 19, 1997.

Ranger Jim, I'll do my best to live up to and continue the practice of high standards set by the Guam soldiers and every Ranger.
11X
Ship Date 20150908
Ginger
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Ginger »

Welcome Isaiah!

PM Inbound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11X OPT. 40
SHIP DATE: 20150713

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Mungi671
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Mungi671 »

Happy New Year Rangers,
A PT test is long overdue
The updated results of my self-administered APFT conducted on 010115 are as follows
2 Minute Push-Ups - 75
2 Minute Sit-Ups - 64
2 Mile Run - 13:57
Pull ups - 14

I'm going to start emphasizing more cardio training because my run time is lacking.
11X
Ship Date 20150908
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Mungi671 wrote:Happy New Year Rangers,
The updated results of my self-administered APFT conducted on 010115 are as follows
2 Minute Push-Ups - 75
2 Minute Sit-Ups - 64
Pull ups - 14

I'm going to start emphasizing more cardio training because my run time is lacking.
What is your recruiter telling you?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Mungi671
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Mungi671 »

Ranger Jim,
My local recruiter makes regular visits to our JROTC unit so I can occasionally sit down with him and ask questions. I have inquired about Option 40 enlistment contracts to ensure that my understanding is in line with what the actual contract entitles. He told me that the contract is very competitive and he will be willing to check for any available once I get the results of my ASVAB and I am of age. For now he has advised me to focus on staying out of trouble and graduating.
11X
Ship Date 20150908
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Isaiah.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Welcome Isaiah. A very close friend of mine started the very first ROTC program on Guam, and by association the first JROTC program. Ask around and see if anyone knows the story of Master Sergeant Jakovenko shooting pop cans off of the heads of the ROTC Cadets using a .45.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Fuego
Ranger

Post by Fuego »

Mungi671 wrote:Happy New Year Rangers,
2 Minute Push-Ups - 75
2 Minute Sit-Ups - 64
Pull ups - 14

Those numbers are starting to look decent. Dig down harder and get them to where they need to be. Stay focused.
RC 05-00
A/1/502, 101st Abn 97-98
B/1/501, 172 SIB 98-01
B/2/3, 2ID 01-02
A/3/187, 101st Abn 02-04 (OEF1/OIF1)

USARA - LRR4889 (Life Member)

Shoot low, they're riding Shetlands.
Mungi671
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Mungi671 »

Roger, Ranger Fuego.