Introduction: George

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Re: Introduction: George

Post by Lefty »

Welcome to the site. You have one of the more interesting introductions I have seen on this site.

I am curious to know your ethnic background.
Are you a native of Germany?
Do you have family remaining there?
How did you become fluent in 4 languages by age 22? I know most Europeans are multi lingual, but knowing German, Russian, Georgian, English, and some Ukrainian hints of a life spent in several countries.
What has prompted your sudden enthusiasm about the US and the Rangers? If you seek combat training, there are a number of other Army units which offer it. For that matter, so do the US Marines. They are "tough enough" for a lot of young men.

You remind me of many of the Special Forces NCOs from the 1960s. I am curious why you are aiming for the Rangers instead of SF, unless you are planning to transfer to SF in the future.

Your introduction raises more questions than answers.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, George.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Welcome George, you have a very interesting background indeed. The first thing you need to know about Rangers or becoming one, is that they never, ever quit. If you want it, go for it, just know that once you commit, you must commit all the way. I'm looking forward to your response to Ranger Jim's questions. The first thing I thought was you seemed possibly better suited for SF, because of the languages, although I know several Rangers who are multilingual. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

I appreciate your candid answers to my questions. Your "roman" (we say "novel") was impressive and speaks well about you. You have the enthusiasm and common sense logic in your approach to why you want to be a Ranger. There are few native-born Americans who could explain their feelings about this country as well as you have done.

Having stated that, I will emphasize what everyone else on this site will tell you - you have to want to be a Ranger more than anything you have ever done. Only you know if you have the heart to work 150% and more, never hesitating to keep on driving yourself. You must never ever quit, do not even think of holding back.
You must also work as hard as you can to become as physically fit as possible.

Read much, post little, and heed the advice of every Ranger who addresses you.

Good luck.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Young man, you are the first person I have ever heard state that the Marines weren't tough enough. I knew of a handful of Rangers who were naturalized citizens. You have a very tough road ahead, I must say, but it can be done. This is definitely one case where tenacity will pay dividends. Good luck with it.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Ginger
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Ginger »

Welcome to the site George!

PM Inbound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11X OPT. 40
SHIP DATE: 20150713

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

George, If you really want to serve with the 75rh $Ranger, you came to the right site. You have an Airborne option, and that is good. When you have your US Citizenship, you can request Ranger.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Thanks for the update. Please keep us updated on your progress. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
musicmano3596
Paratrooper

Post by musicmano3596 »

George,

Welcome to the site!

PM Inbound!

Respectuflly,

Caleb
Infantryman
Currently overseas assigned to 4th Brigade (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division.
Sparta Lives!
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Welcome soap.

The only way to build endurance is to keep pushing yourself. Keep running, then run some more... it will come. You may want to slow your pace in the first half of your two mile runs and try to complete the second mile at the same pace. I've given this advice before, running is mostly your mind controlling your body not the other way around. Your body will send signals to your brain that it can't go on. Keep in mind that these signals are bullshit, your body is just getting uncomfortable and wants to stop, do not let your body control your mind use your mind to control your body. You're a very intelligent man, you can do this. NEVER QUIT!!!!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”