Introduction: Mike

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Coqui
Embryo

Introduction: Mike

Post by Coqui »

Hi my name is Mike, I'm 17 about to turn 18 in a week, and I graduated High School last summer. I am currently in the process of enlisting in to the army hoping to get an Option 40 contract. (I had a surgery removing a cyst and I'm waiting for the medical record of the surgery to give to my recruiter.)
I am 5'8 145 and my self administered PT scores are:

Push Ups: 72
Sit Ups : 42
Pull Ups : 14
2 mile : 13:48
and I still haven't done a 5 mile run will post it tomorrow
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction: Mike

Post by Jim »

[/list]
Coqui wrote:"]Hi my name is Mike, I'm 17 about to turn 18 in a week, and I graduated High School last summer. I am currently in the process of enlisting in to the army hoping to get an Option 40 contract. (I had a surgery removing a cyst and I'm waiting for the medical record of the surgery to give to my recruiter.)
I am 5'8 145 and my self administered PT scores are:

Push Ups: 72
Sit Ups : 42
Pull Ups : 14
2 mile : 13:48
and I still haven't done a 5 mile run will post it tomorrow
Welcome, Mike. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at ArmyRanger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Tell us more about yourself: Where do you live? Why do you want to be a Ranger? Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. You have established a good PT baseliner to build on. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Coqui
Embryo

Post by Coqui »

Thank you for the quick reply Ranger Jim. I'm from Brick, New Jersey I was a football player in high school, I was 400m sprinter in track and I wrestled my last year of high school because a couple my friends made a bet with me that I couldn't last the season. Which the only reason wrestling sucked was cutting weight and a 100+ degree room. One of the assistant wrestling coaches was an ex ranger and that is really how I got an interest in the Ranger Regiment.
I was pretty dead set on joining the Marine Corps was about to go to Meps and everything until I actually started really looking into the Army Rangers
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Mike.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Coqui
Embryo

Post by Coqui »

I want to be a ranger because it's the challenge of a lifetime not only to become one but from what I've read a daily challenge, everyday you're a ranger you have to earn your right to be there and that seems pretty badass to me.

Didn't realize I accidentally deleted the rest of the post on accident
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Welcome, young man. As Jim said, if you truly want to be a Ranger, you have come to the right place. I was not here at the sites origins, but have been a fairly active member for almost 10 years. On speaking to him about it, we agreed one of the best things about this site is that it has partially morphed into a primer for becoming a Ranger. Here you will find all of the instruction, guidance, and motivation you could ever ask for in your path to graduation of RASP and assignment to the 75th Ranger Regiment. Many of us here did not have such a resource. However, there are scores of men (some of them still active members here..) who have been sitting right where you are in life, used this site and enlisted, made it to Ranger Batt. & served with distinction, and have since gotten out and moved onto other things.

Indeed, every veteran, including very member here, was at your exact same crossroads once. To that, I'll give you the same advice I give most of those newly out of, or about to be out of High School. (including a 17 year old "SleepyDoc", If I could go back in time..) If you can, show a bit of patience, take some time to catch your breath and take two years to knock out some easy college classes. You don't have to try and shoot for a PhD in Physics. Just take some generic classes , or better yet something that interests you. Two years would suffice, or go and get an undergrad degree. It matters not. However with the college credits, you will start at a higher rank/pay grade and make NCO rank that much faster. Also, that time will ensure that you have your PT dialed in, if not already.

Just something to consider. Also, that two years extra of experience and maturity will help keep you from falling into the "dumb-ass" trap and doing something to get you kicked out, or worse. I understand when you have that fire in the belly, and feel that not enlisting right now would be unthinkable. Time, is on your side, however. The Ranger Regiment wont be going away anytime soon.

Now, go make your own good luck!
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Welcome to the site MIke, not bad advice from Ranger Sleepy Doc about getting some college, but you've got to do what you want to do. You know yourself and your motivations. I was 18 yrs old, 2 weeks out of high school when I started basic, at Ft Benning, GA, with a Ranger contract. I was a PVT1, and all I wanted to be was a Ranger. Sure that was over 30 years ago, but I have never regretted that decision. I was not ready for college at that point and being a Ranger prepared me for college later in life. Whatever you do keep your eyes on the prize and never, ever, quit. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Ginger
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Ginger »

Welcome Mike!

PM Inbound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11X OPT. 40
SHIP DATE: 20150713

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

rangerjd wrote:Welcome to the site MIke, not bad advice from Ranger Sleepy Doc about getting some college, but you've got to do what you want to do. You know yourself and your motivations. I was 18 yrs old, 2 weeks out of high school when I started basic, at Ft Benning, GA, with a Ranger contract. I was a PVT1, and all I wanted to be was a Ranger. Sure that was over 30 years ago, but I have never regretted that decision. I was not ready for college at that point and being a Ranger prepared me for college later in life. Whatever you do keep your eyes on the prize and never, ever, quit. RLTW
Indeed, RangerJD cuts right to the chase. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you are doing it for the right reasons. If college ain't your thing, it ain't your thing. You certainly wouldn't be the only one in basic without it.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Coqui
Embryo

Post by Coqui »

Thank you for the welcome Ranger CharieRanger1FFV

Ranger Jim, I believe I have all of those requirements, and I am sure I can get that 105 on the GT, the PFT is what I need to step up on though, I just need to work my ass off.

Ranger Sleepy Doc, I thought about going in as an officer I have a friend who's going in as an officer. However right now i know college just isn't for me. I'd much rather go in as soon as I can (while giving me enough time to train to kill the PFT). But Im hoping you can help me out and tell me how to stay out of the dumb ass trap. Thank you for the welcome Ranger Sleepy Doc.

Ranger Rangerjd, If I could jump back to around this time last year I would have loved to have left for basic right after graduation haha. I would have been in a lot better shape than I am now. I'd rather just dive right in and get everything done. Everyone i know has left and moved on to improve their lives. I want to do the same. Thank you for the welcome Ranger Rangerjd
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

[quote=Coqui"] and I still haven't done a 5 mile run will post it tomorrow[/quote]
When is this going to happen? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Coqui
Embryo

Post by Coqui »

Just finished 5 miles in 42:38 Ranger Jim
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Coqui7 wrote:Just finished 5 miles in 42:38 Ranger Jim
Several days late. Lesson here is, if you say you are going to do something tomorrow, do it tomorrow. Not three days later, after you are reminded. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Coqui
Embryo

Post by Coqui »

Roger , Ranger Jim

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”