Introduction: Bob

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction: Bob

Post by Jim »

Bobdub, Have you contacted a recruiter?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

cams wrote:Welcome. Unless I'm high, I've never seen anyone in my life do 230 sit ups in one set. Care to explain?

I read down your post further that said 40-50 in multiple sets, is that what you meant? Sounds like you're guessing at what you can do after stating known standards for the APFT.

You should actually conduct the test next time to get factual numbers. You need a hard number to start with otherwise you won't know how you're progressing.
Great advice from Ranger Cams, if I said I did 200 pushups today that might sound like a lot, but if I did them in 20 sets of 10 it wouldn't really be that much. When you do the APFT use perfect form on every one, pushups, situps and pullups. Don't quit cause it hurts quit when you can't do anymore. And when you think you can't do anymore, push out at least one more. Never ever quit.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

bobdub wrote:
Jim wrote:Bobdub, Have you contacted a recruiter?
Affirmative, Ranger Jim.

Sgt. Lane, my recruiter seemed to be enthusiastic on the phone about getting me an 18X Special Forces option, when I told him I wanted to go special forces. After doing research, I realized 18X is what I ask for if I want a shot at becoming a Green Beret. I learned what I really want is an option 40 so I have a shot at making it as a Ranger. Sgt. Lane is a very cool and helpful recruiter

What really does not appeal to me about being a Green Beret is that a big part of what they do is train militias. I am really not excited about the idea of interacting with foreigners that may or may not actually be trust-worthy friendlies.

I have been busy all the times Sgt. Lane has been available to see me in person, but I managed to line up a time this Saturday to take a practice ASVAB and to get more info. Already took a practice one online, so I am not terribly worried about what my score will be.
a. Consider this link:
http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... uiting.htm
b. What foreign language will you speak?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

bobdub wrote:
Jim wrote: a. Consider this link:
http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... uiting.htm
b. What foreign language will you speak?
Roger Ranger Jim.

a. I investigated every MOS on that page, and decided I will go for 11B with Option 40. I will talk about it with my recruiter tomorrow, and I may join sooner rather than later. My training progress is going better than I thought it would.

b. I know some French, but not enough to be fluent. I am willing to learn any language the army wants me to learn. I didn't realize I could choose the language. I want to be assigned to where I can put my skills to good use. How does that work exactly?

Thank you for your assistance.
a. If you go 11X option 40, there is no language requirement.
b. If you go 18X there will be a language requirement.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Two questions;
1. How are things going with PT, Swim test, Family opinions?
2. Where in Washington do you live. We may be able to plan a link up some time, if you're interested.
Ranger Class 8-82
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Liberty Lake is about 6 hrs from where I live. My daughter and son-in-law live right there in Spokane, she is a Park Ranger at Ft Spokane on Lake Roosevelt National Recreation Area. Possibly when I make a trip over there to see her we could link up, too.
If you have never rucked before I suggest you start out with a lighter ruck than 60 lbs. Try throwing a 25lb weight in a ruck and use that for a couple of weeks and then steadily build up from there, 5 lbs at a time. Give your ankle plenty of time to heal before doing any heavy work with it. Always wear a good pair of boots with good ankle support when you road march. Not heavy work boots, but a good pair of hiking boots.
The military life can been a hard life, but it can also be an enjoyable one. I've have been places and done things that most men can only dream of, if they dream at all. My family has never heard me complain, as a matter of fact, all three of my sons joined the Army, and my daughter who lives in Spokane spent 5 years in the Army. The military, no matter the branch, is what you make it, and the better the unit you serve in, the better the time you'll have. You have a lot of thinking to do, but if you want this, you need to commit all the way. Give everything you've got, every time you give. Never weaken, never quit, never give in. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
Retired 95
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Got anything more to say, you can post it in any of the Recruitment Forums.

Consider your introduction topic closed.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”