Introduction: Nick

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

fireguy1
Embryo

Introduction: Nick

Post by fireguy1 »

Hello, my name is Nick and I'm 19 years old. I work full-time as a security guard and I'm planning on enlisting in the Army within the week, I'm just waiting for my recruiter to finish some paperwork. I hope to get a 68W contract with Opt 40. I'm sure I can learn a lot on these forums and am glad to be a part of them! :D
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction: Nick

Post by Jim »

fireguy1 wrote:Hello, my name is Nick and I'm 19 years old. I work full-time as a security guard and I'm planning on enlisting in the Army within the week, I'm just waiting for my recruiter to finish some paperwork. I hope to get a 68W contract with Opt 40. I'm sure I can learn a lot on these forums and am glad to be a part of them! :D
Welcome, Nick. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at ArmyRanger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Tell us more about yourself: Where do you live? Why do you want to be a Ranger? Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Please self-administer a PT test and publish the results on this thread within 72 hours. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
fireguy1
Embryo

Post by fireguy1 »

Hey Ranger Jim, thanks for the info! I'll be sure to check out the forums. Well, I live in California(a struggle dealing with this drought) and I want to be a Ranger because I have always looked up to the the Regiment and the army. I want to be a Ranger medic because I believe that is where I can be most effective. I love helping people, and would sacrifice myself for another if the situation called for it. I hope to become a firefighter later in life, and believe my time in the Regiment with 68W training under my belt will help me do that.

I'll be sure to run that PT test!
fireguy1
Embryo

Post by fireguy1 »

Also, I forgot to add. My original plan was to join the Air Force and become a Pararescueman. That has been my dream, since early highschool. I was disqualified for my vision, but they misdiagnosed and I was able to get a waiver through the Army. Now, is it possible for me to cross-train into the AF after my contract from the Army?
Ginger
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Ginger »

Welcome Nick!

PM Inbound!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11X OPT. 40
SHIP DATE: 20150713

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Welcome. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but it used to be that the only way a prior service soldier could enlist into the AF was if they were coming from and going into USSOC command (read; Ranger, SF, 160th SOAR into Pararescue) They are the most particular about their enlistment standards.

As far as time in the Regiment setting you up for success as a Firefighter later? Absolutely! It is a very similar bond of brotherhood and professionalism in both fields. If you chose to go 68W, your training will be the perfect setup to be a FF/paramedic.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
fireguy1
Embryo

Post by fireguy1 »

Sleepy Doc wrote:Welcome. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but it used to be that the only way a prior service soldier could enlist into the AF was if they were coming from and going into USSOC command (read; Ranger, SF, 160th SOAR into Pararescue) They are the most particular about their enlistment standards.

As far as time in the Regiment setting you up for success as a Firefighter later? Absolutely! It is a very similar bond of brotherhood and professionalism in both fields. If you chose to go 68W, your training will be the perfect setup to be a FF/paramedic.

Thanks for the detailed reply Sleepy Doc! I hope I am able. I received word from my recruiter that I am ineligible for Option 40 on my contract because I am using a waiver for my vision to get in. Hopefully I can find some way to get into the Regiment!
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Hi Nick, welcome to the board. Never Quit, Never Give Up. I know a lot of Rangers who were told they were ineligible due to some problem or another. There are a lot of Rangers on here with a lot of experience, tap their brains and see what happens. Never quit. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
fireguy1
Embryo

Post by fireguy1 »

rangerjd wrote:Hi Nick, welcome to the board. Never Quit, Never Give Up. I know a lot of Rangers who were told they were ineligible due to some problem or another. There are a lot of Rangers on here with a lot of experience, tap their brains and see what happens. Never quit. RLTW

I had a few of my friends get told they weren't qualified and just stopped trying. It's sad. I can't do that to myself, I'll always think "what if" if I do not try everything I can to achieve my dreams.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

fireguy1 wrote:
rangerjd wrote:Hi Nick, welcome to the board. Never Quit, Never Give Up. I know a lot of Rangers who were told they were ineligible due to some problem or another. There are a lot of Rangers on here with a lot of experience, tap their brains and see what happens. Never quit. RLTW

I had a few of my friends get told they weren't qualified and just stopped trying. It's sad. I can't do that to myself, I'll always think "what if" if I do not try everything I can to achieve my dreams.
PT TEST? 72 hours?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
fireguy1
Embryo

Post by fireguy1 »

Jim wrote:
fireguy1 wrote:

PT TEST? 72 hours?

Oh man, my bad Ranger Jim. I've been working double shifts at work these past few days and it slipped my mind. Give me 12 hours :D
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Umm.. Yeah..

You are absolutely correct, it is "your bad".. In more ways than you know.

First: When addressing the vetted members of this board, it would behoove you not to use such terms of familiarity, as such as My Bad..". You just never know who you are addressing. Ranger Jim, FYI, is a retired "full-bird" Colonel, the lowest of the "flag-officer" ranks, and is deserving a little more respect. He has spent more time in a uniform than you have years on the planet. (don't know what a "flag officer" is? look it up..)

Second: This is not facebook, pinterest, or any other social media site. We re not your "homies", or your "dawgs" This is a site run by and for current and former Rangers. We will help you in as much as we can, but only if you show that our time will not be wasted. That starts by following any, and all instructions you are given. If you are asked to post a PT test, there is a reason for it. You say it slipped your mind because you were working doubles? It should take you 15 to 30 minutes to administer a PT test. If no one else, any recruiter would be glad to give you one. I understand the work commitment, but you're telling me in 72 hours you couldn't find 30 minutes of time to knock one out? Not a good start.

Third: The reason we ask you to do things like using proper terminology when addressing the members, meeting specific time hacks, completing specific tasks (see the "5 mentees report here" thread..) is to get you used to doing things to a certain standard. Should you make it that far, the day you are assigned to pre-RASP will be an eye-opener. The Ranger Regiment as a unit prides itself on holding its members to a higher standard, whether it is PT, marksmanship, or military discipline. That is borne out in everything they do. The Ranger Creed isn't just something you say before PT everyday. Don't believe me, than watch the "TED Talk" with Gen Stanley McChrystal (ret.) He explains it far better than I ever could. (just google it. You'll find it)

Fourth: You need to familiarize yourself with the 4 basic responses in the military, assuming enlisting is still what you intend to do. They are as follows; "yes", "no", "no excuse", and "I'll make it happen". They are customarily followed by the person you are addressing. An example of this would be, when asked why you did not post your PT test, "No excuse, Ranger Jim. I'll make it happen, Ranger Jim" You want to keep your conversation to a minimum. Quite frankly, nobody will give a shit if you do have an excuse. (with the exception of certain extenuating circumstances; death in the family, sudden illness, etc.)

Fifth:To bring it into the fire service mode for you I will quote one of my mentors and instructors in the fire academy. What he used to say parallels one of the tenets of the Ranger Creed. He used to tell us that at 3 a.m. "Mrs. Rabinowitz" doesen't give a rat's-ass if you have had a bad day/have a hangnail/put on some weight from too many cheeseburgers.. When the bell goes off, the bell goes off. You still have to get up and answer the call, and do your best as if you are taking care of your own family.

To bring it back to the PT test, when you are asked to do so, you need to make a little more effort into making your time hack.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
fireguy1
Embryo

Post by fireguy1 »

My PT results as requested:

Push-ups: 80
Sit-ups: 105
2-mile run: 12:15
Pull-ups: 30

I've been rather lethargic these past few months(after learning I was dq'd from the Air Force I stopped training as much as I used to) but I hope to improve all my scores by at least 20%.

Thank you Ranger Sleepy Doc for your explanation, it will take effect immediately.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

fireguy1 wrote:My PT results as requested:

I've been rather lethargic these past few months(after learning I was dq'd from the Air Force I stopped training as much as I used to) but I hope to improve all my scores by at least 20%.

Thank you Ranger Sleepy Doc for your explanation, it will take effect immediately.
Did you physically self-administer a PT test last night between 7:15 and 7:55? integrity? Never, never quit!
That is an elapsed time of 47 minutes. Total 28 minimum) and you must live next to a measured track. It can be done, Why am I doubtful?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
fireguy1
Embryo

Post by fireguy1 »

Jim wrote:
fireguy1 wrote:My PT results as requested:

Did you physically self-administer a PT test last night between 7:15 and 7:55? integrity? Never, never quit!
Yes Ranger Jim, integrity is a trait that was beat into my head at my academy.

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”